want to upgrade to LEDs from cfls, need advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tommysupra13, Jan 26, 2015.

1. I had my plant in a small cabinet that it has outgrown, a lot of the leaves are burned up because it was in a small pot and small space, since I have moved it into this cabinet and into a bigger pot it is already showing great improvement. I am still in the veg stage and was considering upgrading to a small led panel. I am currently running 8 cfls and the box is around 2'x 2'x 6' tall. the cfls are doing the job but I wanted to jump up to LEDs for flowering stage. I have no idea what light brands are good and what wattage would cover a 2'x 2' area. I'm guessing around 200 watt or so but need advice on which brands are the best and also which brands offer the feature of switching from a spectrum that would be suitable for veg to a spectrum that will handle flowering. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422243712.143559.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. any advice ? the plants about 3 feet tall now and if I start to bud it the cfls will most likely not penetrate deep enough through the canopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I've been seeing and hearing great things about Advanced LED. Mars Hydro are a lot cheaper in price, but still show favorable results among growers here. Other brands are definitely out there and people have grows on here with them. It depends on your budget and what seems best for you.

4. Advanced LED lights XML series or XTE series are great from what I've read and heard.

I have a 200W SolarFlare from California Lightworks and it is great, it was ran in a 2x2x6 cabinet  and have a good 4oz per harvest.

Otherwise, the MarsII are cheapper but will probably still be great in a 2x2 area.

It really dépends what you are looking for and what you have for budget.

I believe the Advanced LEDs are the only one I mentionned that have switches for flower and veg.

5. I know the XML series of Advanced LED has two knobs. They each control the brightness of a spectrum, so one knob for the white 10 watt LEDs and one knob for the 3 watt LEDs. That way you can have varying intensities. I'm not sure how that affects power draw yet, I think pokesmot might be finding that out eventually in his testing.

6. IMO a full spectrum light without any switches is good enough for 95% of growers. Only some will use the knobs and really know what they are doing

7. Agreed, I would just run full power and both spectrums. Just saying that I know those XML lights can do it.

8. In that space one Amare Technologies Solar Spec 100 will kill it

$295

9. I would go solar flare 220watt would be perfect in there full cycle veg and flower. I'm getting the 440w solar storm next. It has a veg and flower switch with a uv light for the last two weeks of flower. Diamond series is great too. Everyone has mars because it is cheap. I would look around and do research. Honestly when it comes to leds you get what you pay.

10. #10 BloodBooger, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    I feel sorry for blades wanting to get into LEDs in today's market...shit is way away overpriced for what it is. I have a great Budmaster 2 650 watt, some Mars 2 units (700 watts) all using 5 watt diodes. ..really nice, but if I were to try and replace them today, I'm not sure I wouldn't just say "fuck it, I'm not paying that much"...and go back to a 450 watt metal halide in that small a space (2x2) you said? The prices they are asking for these units are a real rip off. The budmaster 2 is now TWICE the price I paid...In one fucking year! Greedy bastards.

I feel even worse for the ones who tried cheap ones and expensive ones years ago that didn't work. I think now is a decent time to get into LED as we see more and more what different brands will actually do. Sure they are expensive up front, but they have their pros and cons just like HID. I am personally very excited to go LED instead of HID. I've been saying I am trying to get my buddies XML 350 once he gets it back from AdvancedLED, and from his results I don't feel worried about the purchase at all.

I still think HID is a great idea for many growers though as they obviously can work very well. I just wouldn't disregard the power of LED when used in a good growing environment.

12. No, I'm not in any way saying I'm not pleased with my LEDs. ..I would never go back purposely UNLESS these bastards keep raising the prices. There is no justification whatsoever in DOUBLING the price of a article when it hadn't noticeably doubled in output or effectiveness . I'm not talking a few years difference here. I'm talking a doubling in a single calendar year. That's just greed.

13. #13 BloodBooger, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    The savings I have made in electrical costs alone justified the purchase. ..add onto that losing the worry about heat signature, heat buildup in my tents and no overall loss of either quantity or quality, LEDs are a no brainer . ..but all that doesn't make me blind or happy about the price increases.

14. True, it does suck when that happens. I don't think 2x the price would equal 2x the performance though in all cases. Maybe they are using better quality diodes, heat sinks, lost their contract/good source of parts, and maybe they actually make more money this way (catering to a demographic with more money).

I don't agree with it just like you don't, but would probably want more info before dismissing them as just being greedy. Having said that I would definitely still look into another company if the one I originally bought from did that.

15. diodes are extremely expensive. That's why when some leds say "5 watt diodes total 1000 watt led for $300!" Really makes me question the truth behind leds. I've seen online (like all other reviews talking bad about leds) that mars doesn't use true 5watt diodes. I don't listen to people who solicit mars leds. I use to do sales and of course you hype up the product. Usually when people quit or get fired. Well that is when the true info behind the product comes out. I use to do sales, everyone hypes it up to get that commission.

16. Oh huge thing with leds. Most will say like 1200 WATTS!!! Honestly if you can get a watt reader the led is using like 600watts lol.

I hear you on that. Even with companies using 3w, 5w, and 10w diodes they aren't pushed to their max. The AdvancedLED XML 350 for example has 144 of the 3 watt diodes and 10 of the 10 watt diodes. That's 532 watts of LED, advertised as a 350 watt light, draws 330 watts. Same thing with other companies. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just not everything that needs to be looked at when purchasing something. The quality of the lights, penetration of them, usable spectrums, initial cost, warranties, and so on. It's more than just LED companies of course. Lots of things are over hyped. Like a car with a hp of 500, but only at redline with major boost lag until then... or a subwoofer amp that peaks at 2400 watts but only draws an actual RMS of 600... foods saying reduced sodium! yet still carrying an ungodly amount of it, along with other unhealthy additives.

18. Solar flare has been the closest to true watt usage. They say 220watt pulls 161watt. Pretty damn close and canopy penetration is damn good.

19. Until they start widely using LEDs as street lamps and warehouse lighting, I don't see the technology going down in pricing...

When LEDs become as widespread as HID light, then we might start seeing the price go down.

HPS and MH lamps would probably be expensive as hell if it wasn't widely used like it is today.

A great point. It does seem like new buildings and new lights/replaced lights are all becoming LED around here. It just isn't happening all that fast compared to how many HID lights are out there or T5's for shops.