want to try growing, a few ?'s

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CAmpania, Jun 20, 2010.

1. #1 CAmpania, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
    hello everybody here at GC, I'm sorta new to the forum and definitely new to the whole growing thing. I haven't ordered anything yet because I have a few questions first.

First a little info:

The grow space is a closet that nobody ever goes in to or messes with so nobody should find out unless i tell them. I've been on these forums reading all I can for the past 5 hours or so and I feel like I've learned a lot but there's still I want to know before I commit and start buying the stuff I'll need. Just gonna be growing for my own personal collection, not into dealing.

Now for the questions:

First off, what seeds are best to get for a first time indoor grow? Something that isn't easy to mess up but isn't crabgrass either. I was seeing a lot of people recommend Northern Lights so I'm thinking I'll get that but I want to try a few more things...any recommendations there that would go along well with the NL?

I can probably fit around 6 or 7 plants total in the closet with the SCROG method but I don't want to use all of that space, at least not for now. But I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 plants the first time. How much light do you think 4 plants would need or what the best lighting option for me would be? I plan on getting some mylar for optimum light reflection and stuff.

Thirdly, how much time does it take from germination to harvest? Some places I've read it can take 4 months and I've read other people say that they're starting to flower after 14 days...just looking for a little clarification I guess. The reason I ask is so I know how often I'll have to be replacing bulbs and stuff like that. Is the growers kit from HTG worth it or should I graduate to that later and stick to something simpler for now?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my noob shit, looking forward to getting this started

edit: added some stuff and took some stuff out after reading another thread

2. To help everyone answer these questions could you clarify a couple of things?

1. Soil or Hydro
    2. What type of lighting are you using.

Fat E

3. soil and i'm not sure what lighting yet. i've read that HPS is the best but i've also seen some others doing really well with cfls.

since northern lights is an autoflowering strain how does that change the lighting schedule? and could I grow a non-autoflowering strain (maybe something more potent?) alongside it with it's normal lighting schedule and have it not adversely effect the northern lights?

thanks again.

also: nvm about the wattage thing, found that in another thread too

4. Interestingly enough most of your questions come down to personal preference.

Northern lights is NOT an autoflower strain. You can get it in an autoflower version but Northern Lights isnt an autoflowerer. I was gonna go with NL for my first grow because it is low odour and is pretty idiot proof. I've ended up with PPP because I got impatient. I'd also look at the fruitier ones, like papaya from Nirvana if odour will be an issue for you. Your choice really, have a look at some grow journals if you want a little more info.

In terms of watering you need to wait until the soil is dry. Probably sryer than you are at first comfortable with but not absolutely bone dry. This needs to be tested a couple of inches into the soil to see what sort of environment the roots are in.

Lighting is again a personal call. I am growing with CFL as I lack space, and It does a pretty good job. If you want big dense buds though I would go for HPS. expensive to run and maintain due to heat etc but will probs be worth it.

Any questions jus holla,

Fat E

5. #5 CAmpania, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
    thanks so much for the help man. i'm looking at NL and SW right now...I haven't smoked sticky weed yet and I wanna get me summa dat that sticky icky icky...lol.

I just hope it isn't hard to grow.

So, just so I'm sure: (I know this question will seem stupid but I've thought that about other questions before and it turned out the answer was different than I thought)

Does autoflowering mean that I don't have to actually initiate the flowering phase? It will just veg for a while then flower on its own and then die or what? lol sorry for the dumbass noob question

edit: can you train sativa's since they tend to want to grow taller or should that just be done to the indo?

edit 2: i'm looking at white widow now as well, i've been reading a lot of good things about that around here. i can't find anything on nirvana's website about the ease of the grow with this strain so i hope it isn't easy to screw up...might get this and snow white

6. 5 whole hours huh? I read for 5 months before I started buying shit. I pretty much gave up my social life (ie kickin it with friends, goin out for drinks, hitting on girls etc) to learn all I could about growing...You need to keep reading...your questions have been asked and answered just keep reading. Some things you'lll find out from experience itself.

Don't stop reading till you find yourself waking up the next morning with GC still in your web browser cause you fell asleep the night before....Reading.

7. that's what i'm doin right now. 7 hours now and i'm trying to plan it all out and figure out what supplies i need to get to make everything I'll need.

do you think I'll need a ventilation system with just 4 plants in my closet or should some air freshener and the fan running be ok?

8. Ventilation with carbon filter is a MUST in my opinion. Seriously, do not neglect this point. Security should ALWAYS be your number one priority. I'm growing one plant and I even have a carbon filter, lol.

yeah, autoflowerers will flower at a particurlar phase of their life cycle when they become mature, however none autoflowerers will not flower, even when mature, until you switch til 12/12 lighting.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, I thought they were pretty valid ones. No matter how much prep you do, its not until you start growing that you realise how little you know, imo.

9. thanks again man, you've been tremendously helpful. if i have a carbon filter in the house won't the fan blow the activated carbon out of the filter and into the room after a while? a homemade one anyway.

i've been looking at all these growbox threads in the DIY section and I think I'll build one of those.

i think I have most of the important stuff down now, I just need to do more research on the ventilation and the fans. can't wait for my beans to arrive

10. I have both a homemade carbon filter and one that I bought. Guess which one I use? the homemade one! I get more airflow through it and it handles the smell nicely. I'll use the pro one when i get a better fan.

It doesnt blow carbon around as long as you use something to catch it.
    I used (as do most people) panty hos to keep it in check.

You ordered seeds then?

11. alright, excellent. now i just need to figure out the intake/outake stuff and i should be set for the time being.

yeah, i ordered 5 female blue mystics (said it was good for beginners and the smell is neutral) and a 5 pack of the indoor variety or whatever.

12. nice to see your nearly there.

Make sure you set up a grow journal when you start (or even before, i started mine when I was just growin basil and peppers, lol).

Good luck.