Want To Take Dabs Out Of My Bong Need Help.

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Bmarcanio, Apr 29, 2014.

1. #1 Bmarcanio, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    So I recently purchased my bong which has 2 honeycombs and a cyclone splash guard. I'm wanting to make it so I can take dabs out of my bong and was wondering what I'll need to convert it into a oil rig. Anyone have an idea of what I could buy to make this work? I included a picture of my bong so you could see what I would need. image.jpg

2. #2 T-o-W-e-R, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    sure.
    you got pics?
    if not we need to know what kind of joint you got.
    male? female? 14mm? 18mm? 45 degree angle? 90 degree angle?

oh, and welcome to gc

3. It's a female 18mm and I thinks it's a 45. I added a photo above

4. your going to need a nail and a adapter, the thing is since its at that weird 45ish degree angle, you either want an adapter that converts it to a 90degree angle, or a nail with a somewhat deep trough so the concentrate wont sizzle off the nail.

so something like this
    http://grasscity.com/concentrate-utensils/vapor-globes/alt-45-top-load-vapor-globe-set-18-mm.html

or like this,

this is a dome less nail, it has attachments that make it work for 14, 18, and direct inject.
    https://store.kultureva.com/ko-domeless-grade-2-titanium-nail/dp/11187

5. I think I'm gonna go with the first one. And it's a 45 degree angle it just looks weird in the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. you can use other nails with that first option. like titanium or quartz..

also, when u start usin that bad boy, you want to iso wipe the male joint that holds up the nail often. or put a piece of wax paper around it.
    cuz over time it will get reclaim on it and its a bitch to take off when its not warm, people have even broken it from trying to take it off.
    i hope that made sense.

any other questions get back at us

7. Go with towers option but id only go titanium nail,nail wise. Your dabs burn much quicker and you'll need that extra smoke with that larger tube. I find with quartz you really have to heat it up to get a full burn. Also you'll need a hand held torch. Don't cheap out and buy a 10$ cigarette torch, go with a large capacity torch that can rest flat. Also you can go domeless, i can't speak on a domeless because I've never tried them

8. What would be the best torch to get? And yeah I'm going to go with the titanium nail and not the quartz

9. Vector seems to be popular.
    I just went to bed bath and beyond and got a creme brulee torch

10. The difference between quartz and ti is the heat retention.  They actually both heat up just as quickly but the ti retains the heat longer.  Ti is easier to use because there's a bigger window to take a nice dab whereas with quartz you have to get used to the timing.

I prefer domeless nails just cause it's one less thing to mess with.  I really like quave quartz bangers, I get the thickest hits from it.  I also have a dnail, it's efficient and very useful when you're with a group of people taking dabs but my fav right now is the quave quartz.

mogwi411, do you have any experience with the ceramic nails that are out on the market?
    i was wondering how well they retain heat and what kind of lifespan they have.

12. just ask the guy at the headshop for an adapted nail and dome. don't get a glass nail because they break easily due to the heat

13. I'd honestly go for a micro rig with waaayy less diffusion if you're going to be smoking concentrates. It'll help the flavor and potency....and you could easily find a small rig setup for just as much as it would cost for the adaptor and dome.

If you do decide to stick with your flower piece for oil I'd recommend run it through the cleaner before dabbing off it.

Good luck mayne. I will guarantee you'll want a rig though lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. No first hand experience with ceramic, some people say it gives great flavor, but they're kind of fragile compared to ti and quartz.  I think they make ceramic inserts for ti nails.  The employee at my lhs said it might work better with a dnail, he thinks the way people heat them causes them to break.  The dnail heats the nail much more slowly, more evenly, and you're not applying as much heat to it so it makes sense that it'd be less stressful to the nail.

I found a post with some user experiences on ceramic nails:
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ceramic-nail.12618/

15. Did you buy or build your dnail?
    Ceramic should work great with something that heats slowly, evenly and stays stable like that.

:smoking: I was lurking that thread the other day, actually what sparked my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. do you know of any good but cheap oil rigs?

17. Idk if we're allowed to post different websites so pm me if you'd like me to point you where I get my glass (as does 80% if glass lovers)

Or you can check out your local shop for cheap rigs. You'll be looking at China glass pieces (just basic pieces you'll know because they have no labels for the most part) which is fine for your first rig. I honestly have a few small rigs that I would pick up when i saw em under 100

18. Sorry didn't reply, but yeah check out my post above this man

19. I bought mine from d-nail.com.  I think you get I free heater coil replacement and a 3 yr warranty.  The guy at my lhs and Dr.Fumbles from here both told me their customer service is really great.  I think that dnail either has a ceramic insert or they are going to make one.