Want to slim down, tone up, or gain muscle? Ask me for advice on anything!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by EASYlivin, Jul 22, 2009.

1. I want a big chest and decent arms, I'm 5,11 165 right now, decent shape? Any tips?

2. Hey man I got a question,
    I'm 5'9 and weigh 160 lbs, I used to be really fit but after nearly
    a year and a half of no exercise, I have a belly now lol >.<

I've been working out for the past 2 weeks at home, doing only
    160 sit ups and 50-100 pushups a day, what do you recommend I should do?

3. *pushups and situps will do nothing for your bulging belly---situps will only strain your lower back muscles as they try to compensate for moving that extra gut weight against the force of gravity.
    The main two exercises youi oughta do for a six pak of well-defined abs--if that is your goal

4. Like the other guy said, sit-ups are way overrated, and out-dated.

I think sit-ups do more harm than good.

And to answer your question simply: Join a gym, I know that for a lot of people it isn't an option due to location, money or whatever. Time isn't an excuse though.

In a gym you will be more motivated and have access to all the equipment you need. For your belly fat, I would incorporate a lower calorie diet (less than maintenance), small cardio, and weight lifting. Squats and deadlift will help with your core as well.

5. help me with this man.
    i'm looking to make my abs stronger like in a month time period. i'm going to go like this

put two 10lb dumbella in my chest and do ten abs
    remove one and do 15 abs
    with no pushups do 20 abs

how would that help me? what can i improve?
    thanks for the help

6. ^ The way I build my core strength is mostly through compound lifts such as squats, and deadlifts. I also will throw in some situps/GHD situps every now and then for good measure. Another great way to strengthen your core are startic holds such as hollow holds, planks etc.

Also my personal favorite if you have access to a bar is toes to bar. get on the pullup bar and use your core to raise your legs up and touch the bar with your feet, if that is too difficult you can just bring your knees to your elbows until you build the core strength to do toes to bars.

7. I heard a snack before bed will keep your metabolism going through the night, burning more fat calories while you sleep. I was told this by an ex ufc fighter who now does health seminars and training classes for Mayo Clinic

8. I lost 5lbs in the past 2 weeks just by the home pushup/situps method.
    Should I continue doing this until I join a gym? I plan on joining one in
    a month, until then there's not much I can do at home besides those two
    exercise as far as I know though. Thanks for the replies btw :)

9. ^ Here are some excersizes you can do without equiptment.

Air squats, walking lunge, situps, pushups, pullups (find a tree branch or go to a park), dips on a chair, hollow holds, planks, burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, handstand pushups, pistol squats, bear crawls, etc. there are many more too.

Here is a workout I do when I don't have time to get to a gym.

100 pushups (chest touches the ground each time)
    200 air squats
    300 situps

^ break it up into ten rounds and move through them as fast as possible with minimal rest, so you would do 10 pushups then 20 squats then 30 situps then repeat ten times until all your reps are done. This workout will target your core, upper body, and lower body for a great all around workout! enjoy :D

10. #270 ZomgMikeyD, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
    Hey guys, Im 6'3" 300LBS and really want to cut down to atleast 275 as a short goal and then continue on from their. At home I have a 80lb punching bag hanging up and one of those all in one gym sets that I don't use. So far my game plan is to basically cut all my portions for the 3 meals a day into half, cut out sugar (soda, fake juice, sweetened things etc) which I started a week ago and still goin strong. But , basically can I use the punching bag for cardio? Also should I mix up routine, for example I was thinking like
    Monday 30 mins of upper body workout, 30 minutes of the bag
    Tuesday 30 minutes lower body workout, 30 minutes of bag
    through out the week and just keep switching between lower body and upper body, Or can I get even more specific with targeting each area

11. If weight loss is your goal combine cardio with strength training. check out some of the excersizes i posted above and try some of the less advanced one's out. Diet is also going to be your most important factor, focus more on eating clean rather than eating less and you will see results. Common sense tells you to stay away from fast food and junk food like that. Also try to stay away from breads, pastas stuff like that any grains are going to add weight. Focus on maintaining a high protein, high "healthy" fats, and low carbs.

stay consistent with your training and you WILL see results. it's not going to be easy but in the end it will be the best decision you ever made

12. What would you suggest to take to work for lunches instead of sandwiches everyday?

13. I was making tuna salad and putting it in a tupperwear bowl, combined with some mixed nuts and carrot sticks for a while.

14. I sure do! :]

*scoops another spoon of cookie doe ice cream into my mouth* :3

15. Get creative with your lunches, tupperware is your friend! make big batches of healthy dinners and have leftovers for lunch is what I do.

Also a tip to anyone looking to lose fat build muscle or be healthy is to try and eat lots of vegetables with EVERY SINGLE MEAL. ever since i made a point to eat veggies with each of my meals I have noticed a huge increase in my level of fitness.

16. see my post at the top of this page. gotta eat clean and workout. that is the only way..... that or smoke a bunch of crystal meth... but that is not a healthy way.... :wave:

17. I want to gain muscle and get my weight up to 190 lbs, currently 6ft 2 in and I think more stregnth and wt. would help my hoop game. Any advice?

18. Hello, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 150-160 lbs. I don't want to get bulky, per se, but I want to gain noticeable muscle tone and definition. I also want to get real flexible, nimble, and fast, but I don't want to be a twig. I used to work out a few years ago, and I felt great, but unfortunately I've gotten off track over the years.

Also, I'm an asthmatic, which is a problem with running, and various activities like that.

Advice would be great! It's the New Year, so I want to start it off by self transformation, and self betterment, and to get out of these lazy habits that clutch me.

EDIT: I'm on a budget too, so I can't afford protein powder and stuff like that, I need cheap alternatives.

19. Swim laps, lots and lots of laps. Then do bodyweight training, i.e. planks, pushups, sit ups, leg ups, etc. etc. No need for protein powder, just a lot of cheap veggies, package tuna/salmon in salads. Chicken and eggs are two great sources of protein, both cheap as dirt.