Want to see the Northern Lights!?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Dryice, Aug 4, 2010.

1. #2 WallaWalla, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
    Omg im about to pull an all nighter and lay in my backyard. Who's in?!

edit: oh for east coasters around midnight is suppose to be the first of the aurora's if we get our light show =)

2. * Wednesday, Aug. 4 – 3:00 a.m. EDT
    * Wednesday, Aug. 4 – 8:00 p.m. EDT
    * Thursday, Aug. 5 – 2:00 a.m. EDT

Those are predicted to be the optimal times however the scientists who predicted it admit that they can't be 100% sure of anything.

3. HOLY FUCK THATS TOMORROW!!!! IM SO FUCKIN DOIN THAT SHIT!
    Wtf does it mean the suns "waking up" towards the end..?
    is it like this at first
    [​IMG]
    Then goes to this
    [​IMG]

4. Even though it says you can get a view from Northern U.S., I wonder if there is any chance of a Florida sighting... anyone scientific enough to figure this one out?

5. ill b watchin

6. I don't have a lot of evidence to go on but I'm pretty sure that won't be possible unfortunately.

7. can we see this from texas???
    probably not :(

8. No I really wouldn't think so.

9. what about ohio?? probably not

10. Even if I go to an observatory? My friend that goes to the local college can get access to it.

11. Actually I'm looking at some charts and if you're lucky with timing you might catch a glimpse of it for a while in Ohio, best estimate I can give you is around 12:41am tonight but I'm pretty sure that's Pacific Time.

@Matticus: This isn't really an instance where a telescope is of any help, you simply have to be within a certain distance of where the coronal mass ejections are going to reach the atmosphere.

12. Hey looshin can it be seen from Nevada?

13. God damn clouds. hope it clears up. would love to see this.

14. If it becomes extremely intense then you might be able to see it in the very north-eastern corner of Nevada for a short while but finding the precise timing for that would be very difficult, you might be looking at a window of as few as a couple minutes for a weak display at best.

15. Im in the same boat man, hoping these clouds disappear soon.

16. a little cloudy up here, just been camera flash light and a little tint..
    bout to head down to the lake, don't know how late I want to stay up for this, haven't slept in three days

can anyone else confirm anything, I heard red skys in oneonta

17. Im going out to check now, will keep you posted.

18. let us know bro! Im in CT...damn insomnia back for the second night in a row. maybe ill go chill in the park for a bit and hope for some shit!

19. Too cloudy here :(