Want to Move.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by GanjaIsKing, Oct 3, 2013.

1. I live outside of Detroit currently. Don't get me wrong I love this city with a passion, it's just that it's getting worse and worse here faster than ever and I don't want to get to that point where it's not even possible to leave. I want to move out probably after 2 more years. I just need some advice, maybe some blades can suggest a good place to move to. I would really like to move outside of New York but I feel like that's not a realistic option for me right now. The only other place I have thought about moving is heading out west for that hot weather and escaping the cold for at least a little while. So like I said any advice you have on the subject is welcome.

2. Two years is a long time. What's stopping you from leaving tomorrow?

We're all capable of setting up shop where ever we please, so long as we're comfortable with the idea that our standard of living may have to drastically change in order for that to happen. It could entail flat shares, shedding material, and jobs below your league but we've all got to start somewhere.  If you can see yourself in New York and the thought of it gets you excited, then settle in New York. If you're jonesin' for the sun, head south. At the end of the day, you've got to do what makes you happy and gets you to where you need to be.

If it were me, I'd be headed for the sun and the surf. But that's just me. Good luck with it all. 

3. The main thing that's stopping me right now is school. I mean I could easily drop out I hate it alot, but the thing is if I drop out I owe 3400 dollars but if I tough it out for 2 years I'm 2000 dollars richer.

4. Don't move to florida. I can tell you that much.

5. As a dropout myself, I hear what you're saying.

Waiting the two years, while frustrating, might work out for the better. It gives you time to save some dollars, research what you want to do and where you want to do it, and mature a little more. And having some college behind you certainly won't hurt your job prospects once you get to where you're going.

6. sometimes, no matter where you're from, no matter how good the area or city is, you just get the urge to move out. The idea of just moving away, starting over, seeing and learning about a new place is appealing

I used to always think I'd live in the chicago area, but now everytime I travel I think to myself or tell my girlfriend "it would be nice to live here" "maybe we should move here" lol  I was just on vacation up in Wisconsin of all places last week, and me and my girlfriend were talking about moving up there lol

I've been to Amsterdam twice. The first time I was honestly looking into getting a short term apartment/rental apartment and staying for a couple months.  My girlfriend has a family connection to company out there, so she's been looking into getting a job out there. It would be like our dream to move to Amsterdam for a few years.
    But either Wisconsin or Amsterdam.. two very different extremes, both places I've considered moving to after I visited.

7. Where at outside of Detroit? I'm outside of Detroit too, and I would do anything to move out of here.

8. The best advice I can give you is stick with school, get a job lined up (flip a coin for where you want to go, because then that whole thing about knowing what you really want), get a living situation set up, and then move. Worse case, you have a job you don't like and the place you're staying smells like feet, but it'll get you set up there so you can find a better job if it comes along and then start raking in the cash.