Wanna know fast a day can turn great and then shitty?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Mogwai, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I wake up this morning. Neutral day so far.

I check the mail and notice a big nice envelope. Inside is a few papers. One telling me I passed my GED test, another being my GED, and one paper detailing my really high scores on all the parts.

Then my friend hits me up and proposes the idea of getting drunk and walking around a town we kinda grew up in. It's a beautiful day out too... so thus far I'm having an awesome day.

I get in my car, drive a block, and notice it's overheating really bad (gauge was maxed out). I check a few things (just a few as i don't know shit about cars) and can't diagnose the issue, so I am pretty sure it's a serious problem. My car is in all likelyhood fucked and I have no job. I was gonna get one since I have my GED now, but there's really no place to work in walking distance. I have no idea what to do. On top of that, no herb either.

Fuck,

2. Google "how to change a thermostat" in <your car here>. Take it out and throw it away. When you get money to replace it put a new one in. As long as the weather stays warm you will probably be fine without it though your car will take longer to warm up.

Most likely NOT a major problem as long as you don't try to drive it while it is overheating.

Just a suggestion from a shade tree mechanic.

3. Do some research yourself and try figuring the problem out.

4. Well if you can't do anything about you're car, it's starting to get pretty nice out. Hop on Craigslist and see if you can get a bike for pretty cheap. Maybe you could even trade your car for a nicer bike.

You can make up to 10 miles treks on a bike, in nice weather, with not too much fitness or experience. There's a chance you could find a job in a shorter distance. Now will it always be easy or pleasant? Nah, but it's definitely possible. I once rode my bike to work for about two weeks when my battery died and couldn't afford to get a new one for two weeks. It's about a 10 mile ride both ways. It was tiring, but I made it.

5. Now as for your car, driving a block shouldn't overheat you. There is a chance it might be something really simple like the heat gauge or a faulty thermostat. Your heat gauge you don't necessarily have to fix. It's just a gamble if you genuinly overheat you wouldn't know it. The thermostat is pretty easy to replace. It's a $12 part, and you just need an appropriate sized wrench. Might have to move the alternator depending on the model; not too hard.

It could even be as simple as a bad radiator cap. So check it out a bit. Two tests to do. Bang on the dash, if it comes back down you're not overheating. Watch and see how the temperature reads. Does it shoot right up? Then back down? That's a classic thermostat symptom. Last, when all else fails, crank the heater. It sucks to drive with the heater on full blast, but it's a secondary cooling system for your engine.

6. [quote name='"nascarfan"']Now as for your car, driving a block shouldn't overheat you. There is a chance it might be something really simple like the heat gauge or a faulty thermostat. Your heat gauge you don't necessarily have to fix. It's just a gamble if you genuinly overheat you wouldn't know it. The thermostat is pretty easy to replace. It's a $12 part, and you just need an appropriate sized wrench. Might have to move the alternator depending on the model; not too hard.[/quote]

Yeaa this then youll have calves of fucking steel!

7. Oh, and I almost forgot, check your radiator fluids. If you ran it too low, it can overheat.

8. first off,congrats man on getting your GED.I got mine last december.

9. Its good to know im not the only one with their GED. but, i still have no good transportation :/

10. I may do the bike thing. It's still a pain 'cause all my good friends that I usually chill with live 45 minutes away, and that's driving on the interstate. Can't bike that shit haha. So I gotta get a car situation sorted quick for peace of mind.

I mean I have a few friends here but not the kind I'm really tight with or anything. I know it's not the end of the world, it's just shitty. I don't have any herb connects in this town either. None of my friends here even smoke =/

11. I've been in this situation before, except I had a job at the time. Shit threw me into this freaking-out state of mind, I couldn't think straight. I got lucky and got a loan from my grandma, never thought that would have happened.

Search all your options - starting with nascar's information. If it's as bad as you think, might you be able to get a small loan for a car? Do you have any family members who would be able to help out a family member in a shitty situation? They could co-sign for you..

12. Oh your car won't work?

Meanwhile, in Africa...

13. Why you gotta be that way man? Just because there are people worse off in a completely different country and culture, his problems aren't allowed to be distressing? That's bullshit.

14. Yeah I know man, I know. It's just helpful to acknowledge that most of our problem arise from short comings involving our privileges.

15. Try checking to see if you have an antifreeze leak. You could buy some Bar's Leak stop-leak stuff and try that. it worked on my vehicle.

16. Congrats on getting your GED, sucks about your car though. My car isn't working properly right now either, but luckily I can ride the bus to school and work each day.