Wally's Small Stealth Box Setup

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by wallywally, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Wally's Small DIY Stealth Box Set-Up:
    **********(Rough Draft)**********

*Feel free to leave and comments, questions, advice or suggestions you may have regarding this set-up. I have never grown and never built a grow box so all of this is for the first time, hopefully I can help out a few others in the process as well…

Price: Estimated at $110-125.
    Dimensions:
    \tLength--- 20''
    \tWidth--- 14''
    \tHeight ---30''
    \t\t

The plan has been broken down into 4 core parts…
    a.)\tHardware
    b.)\tElectrical Systems
    c.)\tFiltration and Airflow
    d.)\tMiscellaneous

*Please excuse my crude paint drawings but they're all I have at the moment, until I purchase the materials and set up the box.

HARDWARE:

1.\tOutside of box will be composed of plywood or OSB board. A wooden frame of the box will be constructed before nailing each piece of ply wood or OSB board to its respective ends.
    2.\tBefore nailing the plywood to the frame, the frame will be painted with “flat-white” paint, and the interior sides of each plywood or OSB board will also be painted with “flat-white” paint. This will give the interior the ability to reflect light while not burning the plants and keeping the temperature within the box somewhat low.
    3.\tAfter the exterior of the box has been assembled the three hinges will be attached to the right side of the “door” (front facing) piece of plywood, and a locking mechanism will be attached to the left side.
    4.\tOne 4 inch whole will be cut at the bottom right side of the box. (For the intake computer fan.) Another 4 inch hole will be cut on the top of the left side of the box. (Exhaust computer fan and carbon filter.) Four 3 inch holes will be evenly spaced and cut into the top of the box for each of the light bulb's sockets. (4 CFL 23w or 42w bulbs.)
    5.\tOne 2 inch hole will be cut in the top right part of the interior floor, for additional wires to be fed through.

That concludes the building and Hardware section of my plan!…….now onto Electrical Systems…

Electrical Systems:

Materials:

a. 6ft. Light Duty indoor cord x 4.
    12 ft. 16/2 Indoor Extension Cord-HD#145-033 at The Home Depot
    b. Power strip surge protector to plug everything into. (Optional)
    6-Outlet Surge Protector-F5C047-DP at The Home Depot
    c. Push button socket to screw bulbs into
    Push-Button Socket Lamp Holder-R50-06098-0PG at The Home Depot

1.\tTake the indoor extension cord and simply cut off the female end (The part you plug into.)
    2.\tPull apart the two wires that make up the cord.
    3.\tAt the end of the cord take of some of the plastic lining so that the copper wire is the only thing that remains. (Do not do this to the entire cord, only a little bit at the end so you can screw the exposed copper wire into the bulb socket.)
    4.\tTake the two exposed copper wire pieces and screw them into the push button bulb socket. One copper wire goes into the silver screw and the other one goes into the gold screw, it doesn't matter which one goes where as long as the copper wires are securely screwed into the socket.
    5.\tAfter the bulb sockets are secured into their respective holes, screw in each CFL and plug in each bulb socket to any outlet.
    *There's probably an easier or more efficient way to do the part above but that's what I came up with thus far, based on my resources. Feel free to suggest a more efficient design.

Filtration and Airflow:

Materials:

a. 4 inch Drain pipe drop-in gate x 2
    4 in. Styrene Drain Grate-911 at The Home Depot
    b. 4 inch Drain pipe coupling styrene
    4 in. Styrene Hub x Hub Coupling-405 at The Home Depot
    c. 2sq. ft. of window screen material
    60 in. x 100 ft. Charcoal Fiberglass Screen 18x14 Mesh-3003384 at The Home Depot
    d. Marineland Premium Activated Carbon
    Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon at PETCO
    e. Cooler Master 80mm dual ball bearing computer fan x 2
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-80mm-Bearing-Black/dp/B0009JZSKO/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header]Amazon.com: Cooler Master 80mm Dual Ball Bearing Case Fan Black - (SAF-B82-E1): Electronics[/ame]

*This was adapted from a youtube video I found on how to make your own carbon filter. Check it out here…
    Active carbon filter , homemade , cheep - YouTube

1.\tAttach the 4 inch drop in gate to the 4 inch coupling. (Should fit snug.)
    2.\tAdd a 4 inch piece of window screen material to keep the carbon from falling out of the filter.
    3.\tPour the activated carbon into the filter and make sure it cant shift around.
    4.\tAdd another piece of 4 inch window screen material to the filter. (Place on top of the carbon.)
    5.\tAttach the other 4 inch drop in gate to the coupling and there you have your filter.
    6.\tAttach the filter to the outside of the box, directly to the exhaust fan using something to support it. (Not sure about what to use to support the filter.)
    7.\tTake the other computer fan and attach it to the 4 inch hole on the bottom right of the box. This will be the air intake fan.
    8.\tThat should make for a decent filtration and airflow system within the box.
    9.\t*Optional: Open a can of “ona odor block” and place inside box during flowering to further reduce the odor.

Miscellaneous:

A couple of critical items:

Thermometer and Humidity Monitor:
    Digital Humidity and Temperature Comfort Monitor-00619HDCSA1 at The Home Depot

Ph Soil and Water Test:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-PH600AQ-Tester-Calibration/product-reviews/B005H78ZI0/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Milwaukee Instruments PH600AQ Ph Tester With 1 Point Manual Calibration[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. Does anybody think that this will work?
    Is anybody confident this will not work?
    Any feedback? :D

3. I suggest you do not use nails with the plywood...pre-drill/countersink and use screws.

4. Thanks growsensmokes i'll make note of that :cool: