WALL of resin in my ash catcher

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by MrPigglesworth, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Ok so here's the deal. I let my ash catcher get in a really, really bad state. Now I need help reprimanding it. :p There is literally a thick wall of resin between the downstem and the outer glass which takes up pretty much the entire top half of the ash catcher. Ive tried soaking it in hot water for hours, soaking in orange cleaner, alcohol, salt, just about everything and I really don't know what to do lol. If anyone knows how to achieve the unachievable please, please let me know! Heres a pic so you can see exactly what I mean:

[​IMG]

2. The only thing I can tell you is that with the alcohol and salt you're supposed to shake it, not just soak it. Shake your god damn ass off. The whole point of the salt is to act as an abrasive as you shake it.

3. i cleaned my bowl and it was full of fucking greasy rez almost made me puke when it slimed out finally after awhile of fuckin with cleaning it lol.

4. Get 99% isopropanol, and some salt. Get a ziplock bag. Fill it with isopropanol and a generous amount of salt. Let it soak overnight, then shake 'er like hell. When the iso is black, it's time to dump it out, refill with fresh iso and salt, and start shaking like hell again. If shaking it does nothing the second time, that means you need more soaking.

It'll eventually get clean, just takes time. But if it's really not responding to iso after days of soaking and shaking, you may as well buy a new ash catcher - that style's pretty cheap to buy.

5. Thanks for the tip, I will try. The problem is that the wall makes it literally 100% airtight so even if I try to put any liquid through the top bowl I have to plunge it through with the inside part of a pen or something, lol. Basically I have a hard time getting anything in there to actually shake, which is why I resorted to attempting to soak it. And getting it out is another story, lol. But, I will try the 99% and see what happens, and yeah, its only about 25-30$ for it so its not expensive at all that will be what I do if I can't get it out after the alcohol, I think. :smoking:

6. I had a friend that smoked 24/7 that had a problem like that regularly. A trick he used was boil the piece. You put it in water and raise the temperature slowly and bring it down slowly and most of it boils away then alcohol the rest away. Be careful with water cuz you can crack a piece or make it more susceptible to cracking.

7. just shake the bag bro the alcohol will find its way to the resin i think that is your only bet keep washing it with alcohol u might end up spending 10 bucks in alcohol to do it..

8. Pipe cleaner.

Soak that bitch, completely submerged (use a ziplock if you have to) in some 91-99% isopropyl for like a day. Shove a pipe cleaner in and out of the downstem (all sexy like) until it's clear.

Pour in maybe a couple tablespoons of isopropyl and a shit ton of salt, so that the mixture is kind of murky and reasonably thick. Cover the holes and shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty. Shake your booty.

You may have to do the whole process a few times to get it completely clean.

9. Even better than my suggestion!

Why I never think of using pipe cleaners to clean my pipe, I don't know... I think elementary school art class is to blame

10. Dude, it didn't occur to me for literally years after I started smoking.

I remember having trouble cleaning a pipe once, and someone was like "did you try pipe cleaners?" and I thought "but those are just for crafts... holy shit I'm an idiot." :laughing:

11. Like others said before me, put that bad boy in a plastic baggie and put some salt and iso rubbing alcohol in it and shake it like a red headed step child

_future note_ my oppology to any redhead step-childs out there :bongin:

12. Scrape that for hash and your stash is set for a week!

13. I just use soap and hot water....spray it out with high pressure hot water.

14. how long did you soak it in alcohol? I smoked my bubbler dry for 6 months everyday and it looked way worse than your ash catcher lol I had balls of resin that wouldn't come out... if you let the whole ash catcher sit in alcohol overnight it will dissolve the resin pretty well (my bubbler came out very clean after sitting overnight!)

15. One of my first pieces was a very tiny bubbler, and apart from the small size of the downstem, the hole at the bottom of the bowl was really tiny as well so it would always get clogged up ridiculously quickly. If I found that I couldn't get the ISO to go down the hole, I got this 90 cent plastic syringe from Walgreen's or somewhere like that and just shot it down the downstem.

Kind of an annoying piece, but it was a gift.
    :confused_2:

16. A headshop employee told me to bake the piece in the oven and it'll turn all the resin on the inside into ash, it smells like shit she said but it works, although we were talking about high quality pieces like SYN glass, I can't judge the quality of the ashcatcher from a picture, if you think it's up for it try it. Can't remember if it was 300 or 400 degrees, just keep an eye on it if you try this.

17. [quote name='"ajthom1994"']A headshop employee told me to bake the piece in the oven and it'll turn all the resin on the inside into ash, it smells like shit she said but it works, although we were talking about high quality pieces like SYN glass, I can't judge the quality of the ashcatcher from a picture, if you think it's up for it try it. Can't remember if it was 300 or 400 degrees, just keep an eye on it if you try this.[/quote]

Wonder why a head shop employee told you to break your glass

18. Salt and alcohol works everytime, just keep shaking that bitch till its clean. Use 91% or higher iso too

19. if it was a high quality Borosilicate glass piece, he could have taken it out of the oven and dropped it in ice water, and then smoked out of it :p

certain kinds of glass just have a crazy low coefficient of thermal expansion, check out 'european pyrex'

20. Thanks for backing me up, clearly the other poster is uneducated in high end glass.