Wal Mart/Hardware store grow

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Subnoize, Mar 23, 2011.

1. So I live in a non friendly state so we dont have any stores that sell good stuff, today im buying my materials needed, ive got about 12 seeds that ill be planting as soon as I get my area set up

I think im limited to a flouresecent grow, last year I had a T12 set up, I was wondering what type of flourescent is most successful

T12, T10, T8 T5 of CFLs

Limited to Wal mart would my best soil be Organic? This is my 3rd year growing, 1st year sucked, 2nd I got like a half ounce, this year im hoping to work the kinks out. What is a good basic set up, ill be getting taxes in a few weeks and may even get a MH light but right now im limited to what wally world carries any insight would be much appreciated, thanks guys :)

2. currently im running 1 105w 6500k cfl, 2 26w 2700k cfl's, and 4 32 w 2700k t12 tubes. 285w actual watts used. cfl's are cheap and come in the right spectrums, you just need alot of em. you want somewhere around 100+ watts per plant. if you can get a mh light then do it. start small get a 150-250w to start with, get a hps conversion bulb for flowering.

3. Hey, my first grow i got everything from wal-mart. Lights, timers, thermometer/RH, soil, ferts. The lights I got were a 6 pack of GE 6500k as well as a few packs of 2200k. The soil I used was MG potting soil. I used that the whole time and dont think it is as bad as people say. As for the ferts...cant really remember.... but i think it was MG tomato, or the Shults brand? Idk. I didnt fert too much anyway. Hope this helps.

4. I know alot about the kelvin requirements 6500K for Veg, and a Low K for Budding. Im going to find a 8 socket vanity fixture and put Y sockets in them I could of put 16 CFL's in but only had about 9 for 4 plants. Im really hoping to find a Nice MH/HPS conversion setup with a ballast, but I love CFL's cause the electricity cost difference

I did use miracle grow soil last year which I kind of regret because It had Time Released Nutrients im just trying to find areas to improve this year :) I have a shit load of space to work with im really excited

5. Did you use any growing methods? (sog, scrog, lst, top, fim...etc etc) With only having 1 grow under my belt, you'd be better at nit-picking your own system. What was done differently from 1st to 2nd grow?

6. a horse walks into a bar the bartender says why the long face