VPN Best Ones?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by smoke__aLot!!!, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Private Internet Access and TorGuard are both great and come with their proxies if you pay for the VPN service as well. TorGuard has many more locations from which to choose, but Private Internet Access is much more stable. TorGuard often times will disconnect at random or if your computer goes into sleep/hibernate mode. Private Internet Access also stores zero logs and supported Linux, so once TorGuard was no longer really doing it for me, this was my next choice. I've also tried VyperVPN, which I'm 90% sure is an offshore VPN service with secure servers as well. I'm pretty sure they don't support Linux (I used them when I had Windows primarily). The connection speed was alright. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to brag about. PIA has impressed me the most, and it's only $6.95 USD a month.

2. The only VPN I've used is my school's VPN service, but my ex-boyfriend is a Private Internet Access user and he likes it. I've heard that HideMyAss will turn you in to the authorities if the authorities will ask, which invalidates their name. Try to find a VPN that doesn't log and hopefully you should be fine.

3. #23 -Martyr, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Private Internet Access keeps no logs to sidestep this problem.

4. It sucks that agencies like GCHQ and the NSA are driving people to seek online anonymity, only to then target those that seek out anonymization services. The good thing about this is it will continue to drive demand, development, and server space, most likely resulting in cheaper/more competitive services.

Does 'Private Internet Access' offer servers in Europe and do they allow bitcoin transaction/p2p?

They advertise worldwide coverage. Ive had them for awhile. lol there was actually an instance where I forget to connect VPN during torrent download overnight... Received letter in mail from ISP.

Id say its the best service available right now. Mobile app also.

6. I can set up a VPN proxy on my home computer. Program it to not only get countries but area codes. As well as longitude and latitude, could place myself in the ocean. Just set up a virtual disk space in my local ISP Modem and i can load a virtual connection running through a host port. I can run regular browsing services on explorer it's untrackable. The port cannot be traced to my modem cause it's going through my computer. and it's a secured access port. it can only receive incoming data that i allow.

After terrabytes of torrenting without VPN activated I'm surprised I haven't recieved any letters.

There are no free VPN services that offer P2P/torrenting support, right?

So far its looking like I will go for PIA.

8. #28 -Martyr, Jul 16, 2014
    They have gateways for:

UK (London)
    UK (Southhampton)
    Germany
    France
    Sweden
    Romania
    Switzerland

And yes, they do allow P2P

Perfect.

Once you connect to their private server it is essentially irrelevant (in terms of security and legal issues) which country you connect through right? For example, I wouldn't be subject to any less protection under the law if I connected through a French server than a Swedish server, right?

I am just wondering because it seems like Sweden/Netherlands have best anonymity protection (due to lack of cooperation with third parties) and I am curious if there is an advantage to using their servers or if it is irrelevant and I should just connect to the lowest ping server?

10. #30 -Martyr, Jul 16, 2014
    The only instances I have come across in which the servers independently differ outside of the technical, is that certain servers do not allow for torrenting, while others do. When you purchase an account all of this information will be given to you in your client login. Your information on your login will never be logged or saved on the site, only the name you use to register and the password you are given in the email config as well. Just further reason why PIA is as good as it gets in terms of VPNs you pay for.

11. I use killswitch. I toggle it in my p2p client.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks for giving information about VPN
    From the past three months,I searched through Google for getting a good VPN service.
    Through your post i found a VPN and got fake ip.
    I checked my fake ip range using Ip-Details.com

13. #34 plainsight, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    I use VyprVPN by Golden Frog. They have been flipping amazing.
    Check out their website goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

They have server clusters in 40+ countries, use openvpn, and their own chameleon protocol. And the really cool thing I found about them is that they own all their servers. They don't use 3rd parties. So your information is with THEM. They are a child company from a data center and colocation company called Data Foundry
    Oh and it's for android too yall!!

Its $6.67 a month if you sign up for a year service which ain't too bad.

They have a 3 day trial if you wanna give it a shot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #35 *ColtClassic*, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Is there any reason to use a SOCKS proxy when all my traffic is already being encrypted through a VPN? If this provides an extra layer of security that would be great, but is there the possibility for it to cause any routing conflicts?

(this question is mostly concerning torrenting)

The SOCKS proxy is actually offered by the VPN service and is currently set in Deluge. Will this just slow my dl speed, or is it actually worth it?

I already have:

256-bit AES encryption
    VPN Kill Switch
    DNS Leak Protection
    IPv6 Leak Protection 

I've been using qbittorrent, but when I did use Deluge, my problem with proxies and torrenting mainly stemmed from there being no authentication in Firefox to my knowledge. If you use Chrome or something else, your guess is as good as mine. My security outside of my VPN on this laptop are pretty lax. I see no real reason to fortify it outside of browsing since it's essentially on its last legs and I'm getting a new one. I plan on eventually making a thread that goes in depth into all of these things when I've had time to do the adequate research.

Okay, thanks for the information. I'm actually back to qbittorrent now, becuase all of the features I liked on Deluge I found out how to set in qbit. Probably won't be torrenting much for a while. I just got another 200gb of music from someone during a LAN swap, so I need to figure out what is worth keeping and not. Thanks again Martyr.

Best believe come pay day I will be stopping and picking up a new 1TB hard drive.

They are so cheap now. :yummy:

HotSpot Shield is the shiz. I remember showing it to my classmates and teachers so that they could get on YouTube and Twitter; and even the middle school kids down the street knew about it.