Voyagers Perpetual 600 Watt 4 Strain SCROG

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by voyager, Mar 5, 2015.

1. #1 voyager, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Whats up grasscity,
    I have a lot of free time these days and thought it would be cool to share this grow with ya. This is my first grow journal and also my first grow. But ive done my research and feel like everything is coming along great. Ive got a 4x4 secret jardin tent with a 600 watt hps cool tube and digital ballast. I have a carbon filter and a 6" 240 cfm for exhaust also a 24"box fan and another 8" desk fan for keeping air moving inside the tent. Temperatures stay in the 77 to 82 range with the light on. I just installed 3 6" passive intakes with carbon infused hepa filters that should keep out light, dust, pests, mold etc. I just finished vegging and put my plants into flower on 3/3/15.

Pic of the plants and tent setup
    [​IMG]

For the plants i got 4 different clones from my friend, they ended up being really shitty and were infected with powdery mildew. But ive treated that and just put the plants into flower, they are all looking great. My friend forgot what 4 strains out of his 8 he cloned for me but once some buds start forming hes gonna come identify them. They are currently in 5 gallon smart pots and i am using a 3x3 screen for SCROG with 3" holes.

Pic of the clones back when i got them, you can see the powdery mildew
    [​IMG]

For nutrients i am using Fox Farm's full line incluuding the solubles and Fox Farms ocean forest soil. So i am using big bloom, grow big, tiger bloom, open sesame, beastie bloomz and cha ching.
    [​IMG]

I am trying to make this a perpetual grow so i took 3 clones from each plant, 12 total, on 2/28/15. No mother plants yet but i will work on that as i get more equipment. The plan is to take the healthiest clone from each strain and veg them for the next two months while the plants in the tent are flowering. I have a separate, currently non enclosed 2.5x2.5 veg area with a diy roughly 200 actual watt cfl reflector.

Here are the clones at 3 days old in a humidity dome with some spare cfls given em some light.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a lot of pictures from the last 2 months of veg and setting up my tent that i will post from start to finish over the next few days.

2. Lookin good man, for a first grow it seems ya know what you're doin. Just goes to show what some good ol' research can do, i'm along for the ride

3. Count me in. Amazing setup for a first grow.

4. Thanks guys, i definitely have spent quite a lot of hours reading here and across the web about different growing techniques and growing in general. I feel like i have a very good grasp of the basics, still a lot to learn though. Posting part 1 of veg in a minute.

5. #5 voyager, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    Whats up grasscity we're gonna start this post off with an update on how the plants are looking today. The plants are in the 2nd day of flower and have pretty much filled up the screen except for the plant in the front right corner. Just gave them their first watering of flowering nutes. The plants all seem perfectly healthy and the tent setup is doing great temps are staying around 75lights on and 65 to 70 lights off. I was worried adding the carbon filter(put it on about a week ago) would reduce airflow and raise the temps but they are staying consistent.

Here are some pictures from today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright guys now we're gonna go back two months to the beginning of veg. I got the clones that are currently flowering on january 10th and vegged them for about two months under a diy cfl reflector. The reflector was made from meteal sheeting and had 2, 42 watt "daylight" cfls.

Here are some pics of the reflector used for veg, its measures 18" by 10". Also some pics of my old veg area, i will be using a different larger veg area for my next run of plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got 4 clones from my friend, all different strains. They had powdery mildew when i recieved them. I tried using seirra natural science 244 fungicide on them and also cleaned the veg area. It didnt work and the mildew came back within a week or 2, i ended up nuking them with eagle 20 and havent seen mildew for last month. I wasnt happy about using such hardcore pesticides but sometimes theres no other option.

Pic of the clones shortly after i got tjem if you look at the back left and right plants you can see some mildew.
    [​IMG]

I FIMmed the plants about a month into veg. In the future im going to top instead of FIM to get more controlled growth and i am gonna do it earlier in veg. I got my tent setup about a month ago and moved the plants so they could veg under the 600 watt hps. The light was on 24/7. The plants spent about a month vegging under 100 watts of cfl light and a month veggingunder a 600 watt hps in the tent.

This is a picture of them after growing under the cfls for awhile cant remember if its right before or right after FIMming them.
    [​IMG]

Here are the plants right after transplanting them into 5 gallon smart pots from 2.5 gallon pots and then moving them into the tent. They were just recovering from the powdery mildew and from being root bound in the 2.5 gallon pots. Also a pic of some goldem goat im smoking tonight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today guys tomorrow ill post the rest of the pictures from veg. Also tomorrow or saturday ill do a little write up on the diy duct muffler and light proof intake vents with carbon prefilters I built.

6. Its tough for me to tell on my phone but the pictures seem kinda shitty quality and small im gonna fix that on my computer tomorrow they should all be decent pictures.

7. Pics look fine to me, lookin forward to seein the rest

8. #8 voyager, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    Whats up guys, the plants are in the dark right now so i cant get any current pictures but they are looking good. I think they may have a potassium or cal mag deficiency. Some of the lower leaves are dying and now theres some upper fan leaves that are getting spots. Im guessing its all related to may lack of ph balancing my water and nutes. I now have a ph tester and just bought some ph up and down. My water ranges from ph 7-7.3 and with nutes mixed about 5 or so. Tomorrow im going to flush them with ph balanced water.

Pic of a dying lower leaf.
    [​IMG]

I ordered a new setup to automate my watering. Im going to use hydro halo rings connected to a submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket. That way i can mix nutes in one bucket and only have to turn the pump on to water the plants. Reaching the back of the screen is to difficult when hand

This is an example of the halo rings. This is not my plant.
    [​IMG]

Second part of veg coming tomorrow.

9. #9 voyager, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    The plants are looking good here is a picture of them today. Its day 4 of flowering.
    [​IMG]

I flushed them today with ph balanced water and am going to do it again tomorrow, im pretty sure the nutrient defiecencies im have are because i wasnt ph balancing my water. Some pics of the upper fan leaves showing nutrient defiecencies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im doing some selective tucking right now to try and keep the the canopy even but for the most part im letting the plants grow out of the screen. The temps and humidity and doing great right now. Also the carbon filter is working perfectly, can't smell a thing even right next to the tent.
    [URL="http://imgur.com/2DVhlES%5BIMG/%5D"]http://imgur.com/2DVhlES[IMG/][/URL]

Heres a picture of the homade light proof passive intakes i made. I used some leftover 6" ducting, bent it 90" and spray painted it flat black. I then covered the intakes with a MERV 8 carbon stove filter. It should keep out mold spores, dust and pretty much anything.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E2y2WFb.jpg

10. Alright GC we are going to once again go back about a month. When i was reading about growing, SCROG, caught my eye because of the even canopy and claims of increased yeild. It also seemed like it would be fun to tuck and manipulate the plants. I built a 3x3 screen for my 4x4 tent so i could have some room to maneuver around the screen. With the negative pressure in the tent it pretty much conforms to the screenand becomes a 3x3 tent. I made the screen from pvc pipe, 3 way elbows and string. I drilled holes every 3" in the pvc and tied the string in a grid. I used Fox Farm big bloom and grow big for veg. Heres the plants as they grew into the screen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres a pic of a nug im smoking.
    [​IMG]

11. Nice, i'm currently gettin my girls to reach the screen and startin to tuck as well. Hope mine comes out as well as yours has

12. #12 voyager, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
    Im sure it will, i dont even think i really tucked them the way your supposed to at the start. The way i understand it now your supposed to let it grow up and through screen and then tuck/weave each branch back through the screen and thats what ive been doing recently but in the beginning i would just pull each top to the next square over. I dont think its really going to affect anything, im still confident that im gonna have a really even canopy and get some great buds.

13. Hmm thats actually what i'm doin too, i'll start lettin them grow more before movin them. My main concern is waiting too long to switch to flower and lose control.

14. I wouldnt worry about it. My screen was 90% full when i started flowering and it is definitely very crowded in my screen but the canopy is still even.

15. #15 voyager, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
    Plants are lookin good, heres some quick pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some bud that im smoking. My buddies Sour Alien.
    [​IMG]

16. #16 voyager, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    Day 7 of flower

[​IMG]

17. #17 voyager, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    Whats up guys,
    The plants are now in day 15 of flower and have been doing good. The strain in the back left coner was showing signs of overwatering, the leaves were all drooping and it wasnt nitrogen toxicity. I didnt water it for the last 3 days and its looking good now. Besides that the buds are growing and getting bigger everyday.

I also got a new watering setup. I currently have a 9" hydro halo irragation ring in each of the 4 smart pots. They are connected to a 5 gallon bucket with a 396 gph submersible pump. The main line off of the pump is split with a t connecter and and then 2 more t connecters which then sends 4 equal length lines to each halo ring. Its not automated but its a lot easier than trying to hand water each plant. Heres some pics from day 11 of flower and of the watering system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Things are looking good Voyager. I like the feeding system. I'd like to set up something like that eventually for my room. I've got four plants flowering right now as well.

19. Ya im loving it, i can mix all the nutes in one batch and just turn the pump on to water them. It only cost me about 80 bucks for everything on amazon.

20. Whats up guys the plants are looking good today, some nice little buds are forming. The back left plant has been giving me some problems but i think its doing good now.

Heres some pics from today, day 17 of flower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]