Vortex inline fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mordecai, Jan 12, 2009.

1. my hydrohut has only 4 inch ducts and i have a 6 inch vortex fan. I have a reducer from 6 to 4 that i can use, but will it cause any problems with my fan?

2. nope.. it should be fine man. It might be a bit overkill as far as it sucking the sides of the tent in. I recommend picking up one of those speed controllers so you can adjust it as needed.

but running a 6" to a 4" reducer wont screw the fan up at all.

3. thanks aw, i was skeptical about hooking it up till i cut a new hole in my hut... yeeee, optimum temps finally

4. How loud is that 6" vortex? I've heard conflicting reports, some say it sounds like a lawn-mower and other say it is very quiet. I only need about 150 CFM flow so I'd likely put it on a speed controller and run it at 1/2 speed.

Thanks!

5. Yea i kno im havin problems finding a quieter fan. Does one even exist? Lol my fan is loud and i live in a apt. Im worried about hookin an exhaust fan to mines cuz tha fan i got in there already sounds like a vac. Lmao any suggestions?

6. yeah, the fan is pretty loud. im getting some insulated ducting from home depot and when the carbon filter arives that should cut the sound down alot

7. warning will robertson DANGER! DANGER! LMAO FIRE HAZZARD

8. Yeah, certainly is louder then I had hoped. I can hear it outside! And that is on a speed controller turned all the way down :-(

It is still moving more air then I need to though, so I'm hoping if I cut the airflow in half again that the sound will do likewise.

9. Dude I am so wishing I would have listened to you. The vortex is way loud and that is a bad thing for me. Don't get me wrong, it really moves the air, but I need an extremely quite 100 CFM not a very loud 300 CFM. Now I will have to ebay the vortex and order the S & P and eat the losses on shipping and resale. Doh!

And I wasn't even stoned when I made the decision, grr!

10. lmao dude cut srtips of foam and put in between fan and box. i did it on mines and its really quite now.

11. Out of curiosity do you have pics of this invention? Haha I want just a little more noise reduction until my filter arrives.

12. Well I got a different speed adjuster that allows me to adjust it down farther and the sound is fine now. Mine is actually held in place by bungee cords so vibration wasn't the sound issue as much as way excessive airflow. So now the loudest thing is the oscillating fan.