Visiting Colorado to Toke?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Gooma, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Hey All,

New forum member here, been lurking a bit on this site and thread, and I wanted to post and share, as this very subject of Colorado cannabis is my area of business. Hopefully I can help to shed a bit of light on the ongoing process of Colorado's movement towards recreational marijuana use as well. I attend the public meetings of the regulatory agencies and panels when I can, and I have connections that are closely tied to this unfolding regulatory process, including participants on the state panels. I also have long time relationships with the Colorado medical marijuana community through my company, which provides technical services to MMJ growers and dispensaries. I've spent hours studying both HB 1284 and Amendment 64, talking over various aspects of the legislation with colleagues and friends, and attending panel discussions.

I'm also the owner of a new firm, Colorado Green Adventures, a cannabis tourism company! You can find us online at Colorado Green Adventures | Highest State in the Union.
    We're already running our vaporizer and oil limo on private trips to Red Rocks amphitheatre concerts. We have arrangements with growers for tours of their operations, and in addition, we'll be visiting Colorado's new hemp fields, which many local farmers will be planting this spring!

As you can see, we're betting that the regulatory agencies (Colorado DOR, mostly) will not prohibit consumption by tourists from outside the state. This type of regulatory exclusion would be problematic so many levels, and would also be almost impossible to enforce, especially when a visitor can obtain a legal Colorado state ID from the local DMV only hours after arrival in town. In addition, such regulation would effectively create a new black market for the million or so adults who visit from out of state every year.

Now, the state has shown their willingness to enact blatantly foolish elements into their regulatory framework from the medical marijuana model. However, in the limited time that the state has to act, and within the constraints placed on them by Amendment 64, prohibiting a special class of people (tourists) from consuming an otherwise legal product seems very unlikely.

Under the current regulatory process, the state must create the legal framework for retail and consumption, or the task will fall on local entities. The deadlines set into Amendment 64 make it a near certainty that we will see new legal retail pot shops open in Colorado in 2014, perhaps as early as winter 2013.

So, we're proceeding full bore on the assumption that within the next year, recreational marijuana use will be fully legal for all adults in Colorado. We'll be running sponsored events with other local organizations, and tourism events centered on local geography, music, people, food, and of course... cannabis!

A few noteworthy facts (see the citation below for the amendment text):

As of this moment, on Feb 7th, 2013, under Amendment 64 to the state constitution, the consumption and possession of cannabis and all cannabis products is legal in Colorado for all those over the age of 21. It is now legal for any 21 year old in Colorado to possess up to one ounce of cannabis.

The consumption of cannabis by adults is legal as well, so long as it is done is a private, non public space. You may have marijuana on your person, and can even display it openly in public, but you may not consume in public. You may consume in a private home, or in a hired limo.

It is legal for any adult (21 and up) to give away up to an ounce of marijuana to any other adult. This is currently the only way a visitor to the state can legally obtain marijuana, unless they go through the process of getting a red card for MMJ, which takes time and costs money.

So, at the moment, Colorado Green Adventures is mostly serving the local community, though we're fielding inquiries from all over the world, and taking reservations for the spring season of 2013. We make sure that those who choose to visit early through our services will not be lacking in the interim!

Anyone with any questions is welcome to PM, email, or call. My full contact info is on our website.

Link to the full amendment 64 text:
    Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012 | Yes on Amendment 64: The Colorado Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol

2. Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000182 EndHTML:0000007168 StartFragment:0000002369 EndFragment:0000007132 SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/Boschen/Desktop/CGA%20Info%20&%20Links I'm a long time marijuana consumer, and well tied into the Colorado medical marijuana community through my company, which provides technical and security services to MMJ facilities. We have long term relationships with most of the largest operations in Colorado, and lots of small shops too. I regularly attend the public meetings held by the DOR and other agencies on MMJ and A64, and I have indirect connections with a couple of panel members. I've studied HB1284 and Amendment 64 very carefully, and attended meetings and panel discussions on the regulatory processes.

I'm also the owner of a new company, Colorado Green Adventures, which is focused on cannabis tourism in the state. We're already running concert outings to Red Rocks with our private vaporizing limousine, and holding cannabis related events, including grow tours, and soon, tours of Colorado's new hemp fields, which are being planted all over the state.

Clearly our firm is betting that we won't see regulation that prohibits tourists from consuming, for many reasons; this is just another sign that those in a position to regulate are not comfortable or on board with A64 and its intended results. However, such a prohibition would be almost impossible to enforce, and highly impractical when a visitor can obtain a state ID from the local DMV after a few hours in town. Just a way to create another black market, when A64 has eliminated the biggest one. This is the sort of thinking our marijuana regulators find appealing. Fortunately, A64 is written with the anticipation of dealing with just such people; the language is clear and concise. The period given to enact the regulatory framework is also narrow, and intentionally so, to prevent the enactment of legislative and regulatory obstacles to recreational use of marijuana by adults.

For those planning visits to Colorado in 2013, all are welcome! You will have little trouble obtaining marijuana, although at the moment, the only legal way to get some is to have a friend give it to you for free. As most tokers like to share their herb, there's lots going around. As soon as the regulations come into effect, we'll see legal retail shops in Colorado by late 2013 or early 2014, with full access by any adult to the whole galaxy of Colorado's cannabis retail products.

Some things to consider:

Under Amendment 64, as of Jan. 1st, 2013, it's legal for any adult over 21 years of age in Colorado;

>To possess up to an ounce of marijuana, marijuana extract, or any marijuana product, including hash, kief, oil, etc.
    >To give away up an ounce of marijuana to any other adult.
    >To transport or display up to an ounce of marijuana.
    >To consume marijuana in a private home or residence.
    >To consume marijuana in a rented limousine.
    >To consume marijuana in any location that is not 'open and public', including the above examples of a limo or private home.

Read the Amendment 64 full text here:
    Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012 | Yes on Amendment 64: The Colorado Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol

Anyone planning a visit is welcome to contact me through these boards, or professionally via my website. The Denver Cannabis Cup will be a blast!
    Just google us at Colorado Green Adventures for contact info.

Colorado Green Adventures
    Highest State in the Union!

3. Well. I'm going to travel over 2,000 miles away from my home town and state just to legally grow.... So idk.

4. ^^^I hope CO has the largest real/estate,rental,tourist season ever recorded in it's history,,even business owners that have nothing to do with the marijuana market would support keeping it legal,,including city governments.

5. You're not the only one hoping this will be the case; I've got a new start up focused on cannabis tourism in Colorado, which I launched well before the regulations, with the expectation that this is exactly what would unfold....
    You can get some details here;
    Colorado Green Adventures | Highest State in the Union

6. i hope CO brings in a shit of money this year on tourism...You already have snowboarding going for...now add in weed. I plan on moving to CO and dont give a fuck...plan on going to college. Am I moving there for marijuana? 50%..the other half for living in a state where resources aren't being spent on busting kids for smoking pot, in the woods. Or petty ass fines to payback these local government debts.

7. we wont bring in too much based on cannabis this year, besides from mmj

selling it isnt legal still = no taxes from that side of the tax world

Also, kids can still get busted smoking pot and it is MORE severe for them now, it used to be a possession ticket, community service, done. Now its an MIP, likely involving classes and community service, and a large repeat offender offense potential.... so yea... kids need still be worried if they want to go light up, if you cant enter a bar, dont be an idiot in public hahahhaa

8. Oh and to add on lol..that article isacting as if Marijuana is like smack. And all these people who want to goto CO for legal weed will just get hooked and won't be able to function and support themselves.

9. I want to become a grower... Not for any profit at first whatsoever. I know it's going to take alot of exp. but in willing.

10. i read somewhere(forget where or id cite it)

but they are talking about allowing tourists to purchase weed there as well. due to the fact that if it was legal for residents only that would leave a reason for the black market of marijuana to still operate. and thats something that legalization is supposed to help avoid and deter from happening. ill try and find the article i read

11. I don't. Real estate is already fucking ridiculous out here. The prices houses go for are not worth it whatsoever. But this is also coming from somebody trying to buy a house in the next two years so I'm constantly hoping for a crashing market. :p

But for real most people who move here JUST for legal pot are fucking stupid and are going to end up homeless or moving back home with their parents.

12. "People who move here JUST for legal pot are fucking stupid...." Thanks man. I'll remember that.

13. I don't see te market tanking here in denver. Yes, home prices here are much expensive than the Midwest, but location is everything. The new light rails are going to connect people from the burbs to the city.

More and more people move here everyday and there are lots of fixer upper houses to be had.

14. But people who move their for outdoor hobbies and shit arent? Thx guy.

15. Right? I love the environment of colorado. The pot is my prime motivation. Lol

16. Hi everyone,

Im gunna be in Denver for this 420, but unfortunately once I learned that there was going to be the Cannabis Cup there tickets were already out of reach. :mad:

I was Just wondering if anyone knew anyone/ anywhere selling tickets for reasonable prices. Can do transactions through paypal or w.e else might be preferable.

Currently scouring the web!

Im sure I will enjoy Denver regardless and find plenty of greens.. but to go to this event would be utterly magnificent.

17. #197 oldmantoker, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
    Saw your website Colorado Green Adventures, and sent you an email. Great idea!