Visiting Colorado in a couple of weeks....

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by buylow8863, Jun 16, 2012.

1. and we plan on getting lost in the mountains for at least a few days. Are there any must see or must do things that are obscure or unknown to the general public? I mean, there
    are a shit-ton of places easily findable on the internet, but I like to take the road less traveled.

I want to hear from those of you who have visited, or better yet, actually live there.

Must say I am looking forward to trying some CO bud and enjoying nature.

2. Allllrighty then.

Leaving in a few days for the Rockies. Still no responses?

fwiw, I will be in Denver for a day or two before heading higher (ha). Looking for
    a perfect camping spot or any can't miss things to do.

3. dont come to the central northern area

a fuck load of fires.

currently SMOKING AS FUCK outside due to them in colorado springs

4. Post in general might have more responses. but yeah i was gonna ask about wild fires also

5. #5 buylow8863, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah, shit I have been watching the fires. But it's a done deal. Going anyway.

Could make for a very interesting trip. I don't plan on getting very close to
    any fires. At least any large ones.

Hey pigpen, I'll be driving through Co Springs on Saturday, hopefully. Looks like a 20% chance of
    rain tomorrow and the next day by the forecast I saw. Here's hoping.

6. If your gonna be on the western slope check out hanging lake.

7. Thanks for the tip. It seems Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak are closed, so we
    may have extra time on our hands. Checking out sat pics right now.

8. Hit up great sand dunes np.

9. Thanks TokeM.
    That is the last potential stop before turning for home for us. Looks like it's worth
    seeing.

10. Is it really only a mile each way? If so, damn, I want to go see that. Looks
    like my kind of place.

11. I'm not sure where you are going to be, but Quandary Peak is a great hike located just south of Breckenridge. Just remember, for any hike or adventure up there, start early in the morning.

12. Just went to hanging lake a week ago it was awesome

13. #13 ZiggyNugs, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    I used to take mtn biking trips with buddies into the rockies every summer for a number of years... I loved going to boulder county in general but Estes Park, Colorado aka Rocky Mountain National Park... I loved driving on the highways from Estes Park down to Nederland, Colorado which is a huge yet small in size hippie town... Trails, lake, mtns pure cool small Colorado mtn town.. Seen black bear and a Mountain lion the same day on the drive from Estes Park to Nederland... Nederland is close to boulder which is way to yuppie for me but it´s still really cool place...

I spent alot of time in Winter Park doing the ski lifts to the top and riding my mtn bike down full tilt down a mtn hitting big jumps over an hour long downhill!!!!!! pure adrenaline but pretty advanced skills are needed on most trails... you can rent bikes and get body armour...

If your closer to the san juan mtn range in lower southwest Colorado... Check out Telluride tons of famous people live there but its beautiful and has a cool style to it... Also the last place robbed on horseback in the US and you will see why if you visit...

All in All i recommend driving into the mountains and checking out cool mtn towns, stopping at beautiful rivers, and checking out the awesome peaks...

BTW i havent kept up with the horrible matchbox CO has become and I´m sure some of these diamonds are unavailable ATM...

14. ya it is a must see if your gonna be in the area. If you go further west there are some less impressive spots like the ice caves and rifle arch. The cool part about the ice caves is that the river that runs by them turns into some cools falls a little ways away. But the area has A TON of BLM and national forest land that you can just go and camp on for free. you just go hike and pick a spot nice and private good for toking in peace.

Make sure you check on the status of the firebans in your areas you are in. Most smoking outside is banned and have gotten some public facilities (disc golf courses lol) shut down because of this. Most places also do not allow charcoal or wood fires but propane fires are promoted.

15. I think some of the most underrated places for beauty is southwest Colorado. They get a TON of snow in the winter and have way taller mountains, is more green, and way prettier with more wildlife and activities than other places there. Tons of stuff to do there like all of colorado though and I'm pretty sure they have some dank bud too! :smoke:

16. yes, southwest is awesome! if you're in the western slope you have to check out grand mesa, black canyon, and kebler pass to name a few. whole fuckin' part of the state looks like a picture book.