Virgin grow - Semi-stealth Barrister's Box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by OneDayJD, Mar 26, 2012.

1. #81 evergreens, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
    I feel ya, I left town for about a week and my plants looked horrible when I got back. Even with the auto-watering. Attention is the key to making these girls happy haha

2. Gingerholic, you going for a nice up high? Or are you waiting for the trich's to amber up real nice? Sounds deeeeeeeeeeeeeelightful.

3. I think I'm gonna go with the couch look. So I guess more amber.:) s
    Some of my hairs are turning amber and starting to curl in on themselves. Getting fat as well. Not as fat as I would like but... It looks like weeeeeeeed!!!lol

Thanks you got a lady in the dirt?

4. I did not pass. I'm crushed. But it could be worse. Thankfully I have the opportunity to take it again (and pass this time!) before I start my "real" job this fall where I have to have passed it. It sucks but I'm dealing with it. Just a bump in the road I have to overcome and a year from now it will be a mere memory.

Now let's talk growing to talk my mind off the depression. I had planned to water the girls Friday night. But in the melee that ensued after I got the bad news, I forgot. Saturday morning I checked them and they looked horrible. Leaves and stems had no shape, they were sagging and looked like shit. But, not surprisingly, I watered all three, closed up the box, and in about 8 hours they were as good as new. I've got to be out of town the latter half of this week for a conference, but thankfully I'm going to give my roommate a watering tutorial tonight so he can tend to them in my absence. Also, I think I've decided to switch to 12/12 in about another week. It appears that the plants have reached their size capacity in the current pots. But I don't have the space to switch to bigger pots if I keep all three. HOWEVER...I am giving serious thought to switching to 5 gal smart pots. I've done some cursory calculations and I think with the smart pots I can fit three of the 5 gallon ones in there. So, when I get paid this week I may go ahead and order some smart pots. If I do get them, I'm going to veg for probably another couple weeks and see if I can get some more size out of them. That's the plan for now. I'll see how it pans out. Anyone else using smart pots? I've done my research but have no experience growing in them.

True, that's awesome bro. I hope it all works out. It's tough studying for anything. And I agree about changing the whole landscape. Hell, one of my best friends in the world is a doctor who loves to smoke. And after I pass the bar and hopefully slide into politics at some point, I absolutely want to lead the charge to legalize it in my state. I tell people that all the time and I think they think I'm kidding. But I'm not. The problem in my state is everyone in the House and the Senate are too pussy to take the reins and introduce a bill to legalize it. But I don't give a damn. If it's the only platform I have when I run, I will lead the charge completely. Just a dream that's years and years away. But a dream, nonetheless. Godspeed.

5. Damn sry to hear that bro. It's ok though now you will have a better understanding of what to study for.

I forgot to water last week and the same thing happened. I watered them and hours later they looked brand new!

And as for the politics. You got my vote already but the ones in there now are gonna have to die before shit changes. It's like a fucked up fraturnaty for rich old ppl that haven't a clue about life on the lower lvls. Granted they went to school and earned their degree and worked hard, but they are to comfortable with the way shit is going! Need new blood in there to think outside the box and get us out of these backwoods bible belt laws everyone is so accustom to. Sry my very small two cents.

VOTE FOR ONEDAYJD !!!!!!!!

;)

6. Man, that sucks. I know how it feels (but not in any way like this) to not succeed when you've given it your best shot. Luckily it isn't your only shot, and I'm sure you'll succeed on your second try. Best of luck, anyways.

Onto the political part, I don't know anymore. I'm only 18, but still. I'm so frustrated with the political systems today. I honestly think that there are someone behind this all, the wars, the poverty, the bad that's happening in this world. Some keywords might be Illuminati, but let's just not, because I don't want to highjack your thread, and it's just too mindfucked to talk about, really.

Onto GROWING! How many times have you transplanted? If you haven't got room for bigger pots, then that is sort of devastating. I'm not sure how these smart pots work, but if their shapes differ from what your plants are already used to (say, going from squared to cylinder or vice versa), is bad for them. I'm not sure if they only will get stunted, or if it will mess the rooting system up long term. Going from square to cylinder or vice versa wouldn't be too devastating I can imagine, but going from short and wide pots to long slim ones might. I don't know. Let us know how it works out, if you end up doing it.

If you've got nothing but time, then stunted plants aren't really a problem :)

7. Ah, sounds just amazing. Simply amazing. No, I haven't got a girl of my own yet, but soon I will. Still living at home, so that would be a no-no. I'm using this time to sharpen up my theoretical knowledge by reading books and watching grow videos, as well as reading these amazing growlogs.

I'm ready, trust that, but after I move this summer, I think I might just be able to sneak in some seeds and start a grow of my own. Have you got a grow log too? I'd love to check it out, man :smoke:

8. I've only transplanted once. I started them in solo cups and then went to the pots they are in now. The pots they're in now are round. And the smart pots are round as well. Except, the smart pots are more fibrous if that makes sense. They're made out of a heavy material, almost like landscaping cloth. The idea is that the roots can grow out the bottom (or sides maybe?) of the pots. That way, they "air prune." And supposedly, this creates more side-branching. Whereas in plastic or otherwise impermeable materials the roots grow to the wall, then continue to circle the pot and sometimes result in them becoming root-bound. But in the smart pots, once the roots grow out and get naturally "pruned" by the air, they branch more throughout the pot instead of just circling the pot. Point is, I don't think I will shock them much. However, they will get some shock as you stated. Ergo, I figure if I am going to do anything that will shock them (in this case, transplant), I may as well do it now while they're still in veg. HOWEVER...the one suspect plant that we think is an auto (and possibly a lowryder), I may leave it in the small pot since it's already got some buds. I definitely don't want to screw it up. Worst case, if I screw up the other two by transplanting, at least I should still get some product from the auto. Good strategy, no?

No shit! Haha just kidding. Ginger's all secretive. But he's got some funk growing!

9. I've only transplanted once. I started them in solo cups and then went to the pots they are in now. The pots they're in now are round. And the smart pots are round as well. Except, the smart pots are more fibrous if that makes sense. They're made out of a heavy material, almost like landscaping cloth. The idea is that the roots can grow out the bottom (or sides maybe?) of the pots. That way, they "air prune." And supposedly, this creates more side-branching. Whereas in plastic or otherwise impermeable materials the roots grow to the wall, then continue to circle the pot and sometimes result in them becoming root-bound. But in the smart pots, once the roots grow out and get naturally "pruned" by the air, they branch more throughout the pot instead of just circling the pot. Point is, I don't think I will shock them much. However, they will get some shock as you stated. Ergo, I figure if I am going to do anything that will shock them (in this case, transplant), I may as well do it now while they're still in veg. HOWEVER...the one suspect plant that we think is an auto (and possibly a lowryder), I may leave it in the small pot since it's already got some buds. I definitely don't want to screw it up. Worst case, if I screw up the other two by transplanting, at least I should still get some product from the auto. Good strategy, no?

Sounds well thought out my friend. Was wondering about the smart pots myself. Hadn't researched them but I've heard lots of raves about them.

And yea I'm a Lil paranoid on here! Lol but the truth is I'm computer illiterate and don't no how to link my grow journal!lol Sad but true.:(

10. Check it out Oneday and true! Getting closer!

image-3098720280.jpg

Side bud

image-2276776773.jpg

My biggest tit:)

image-956493724.jpg

Merry Christmas!! Lol (gonna train them right next time)

11. Hm. Air-pruned. Not too sure what that actually means. Pruning is removing leaves and such by cutting them or whatever, but air-pruning. Does that mean that when the roots exit the fiber or whatever material the pot is made of, it is exposed to light, and therefore it dies/is pruned? If not, then I've got NO idea. The only firm image I could form in my head, was the resemblance to a rockwell cube. As the roots can grow through the roots. Am I onto something here, or am I completely lost?

You should definitively do this while they're in veg. I mean, as far as what I've understood from all of this, is that the plants may turn into a hermaphrodite at anytime, if stressed. But usually, you'll have to TRY to stress a plant to turn it into a hermie. Transplanting is the second most stressful thing you can expose your plant to, besides pruning. But I mean, I haven't heard of anyone getting hermies from transplanting... Worst case, it won't grow for a week tops. Not sure if stress is more severe while in flower, or if there are more severe complications, but you're pretty safe in veg, I'd say.

Finally, if the plants are pot-bound, and they're COMPLETELY filling the pot, they'll stress FAR more than simply transplanting. The roots will be crowded and suffocate. So I'd even transplant the auto if the pot is crowded by roots. If needed, get a bigger grow space? Get two? I don't know. It will ANYWAY produce some bud for you. EVEN if it turns into a hermie, it'll work. Homegrown is better than commercial grown any day.

Good luck man.

12. The police do actually check these forums out (after what I've been told), but I wouldn't be worried. They really only care for the big fish. If you're REALLY scared, but want to have a growlog or whatever, use TOR (hides all your traffic for anyone, incoming or outgoing).

BUT MAN. Those buds look amazing! Really! What is that sexy ass lady? Send me an ounce in the mail, pretty please! :smoke:

I think you've got it covered, Gingerholic. Sure, you'll LST them properly later, give them better nutes and whatnot, but you've got the basics going. LST doesn't really improve yields as much as it helps with super crowded places, like grow cabinets. SCoG does improve yield because of the even canopy, but yeah. You get the idea. I think you'll be toking real good on that baby.

13. True, you're dead on with the air pruning. Basically once the roots exit the pot and are exposed to light and/or air, they stop growing that way and send energy back to encourage side/lateral branching. In fact, the smart pot website explains it better:

Smart Pots are manufactured out of a custom, non-woven, polypropylene material. Roots grown in a Smart Pot come in contact with the fuzzy, fabric inner wall of the bag and penetrate or grow into the fabric. The bag's tough fabric prevents the root's continued longitudinal growth, in effect pruning it, causing the root to develop masses of lateral fibrous roots. Upon comparison, root systems that developed in a Smart Pot have a much greater mass or volume then those found in hard-sided containers. Plants grown in Smart Pots have root balls that contain many more roots then found in a hard-sided container of similar size.

I think I have decided to definitely go with the smart pots. I know I am transplanting the two plants that are definitely photos. I wasn't planning on transplanting the suspect-auto, but True made some good points I've got to think about. So I'm still up in the air on that one.

Plants are looking good. I did some trimming and LST last night and I'm finally getting the hang of LST. I didn't think it would, but it definitely takes a little time and dedication. Here are some pictures. One of one of the photos and some more of the beautiful buds on Bethany, the suspect-auto. I also picked up some molasses to start adding to my feeding regiment.

TO DO LIST:
    - Get some flowering bulbs in preparation for switching to 12/12
    - Purchase Fox Farm Cha Ching to use in flowering. Got some good advice from MaineCronic on Cha Ching. He always uses it for good, sticky resin production.
    - MORE LIGHTS. That's right, I plan on adding about three more lights to the box, just got to figure out placement and logistics. Probably going to have to adjust and/or re-think my light traps on the fans because they are taking up a lot of space inside the box. But hell, more lights equals more green.

Also, my roommate wisely used his tax returns to get a Helix 3-in-1 Vortex pipe. We hit it the first time last night. Probably the smoothest hit I've ever had from a pipe. It comes with three detachable pieces: a nice big bubbler, a spoon bowl, and a one hitter. The smoke comes into the big mouthpiece chamber and mixes with outside air coming in through little laser-etched holes and cools the smoke and sends it into a tornado-like cyclone. It's really trippy. I'm attaching a pic of it also. It's a pricey piece, but well worth it so far. And it burns FOREVER. We packed up some decent yukon gold in the bubbler last night and hit it like 15 times it seems like! Enjoy.

Attached Files:

14. Looking good brother!!:)

15. Maaaaan, JD! That pipe looks sick as hell! I'm impressed by your LST'ing! Not bad at all! I think going with the smart pots sounds like a good idea. Somehow, I get the feeling that they will be stunted by exiting the pot, but I've got no experience with it. If they're really selling a product like this, I'm sure it won't stunt the hell out of you plant, as that would be RIDICULOUS! Keep us posted on it anyways, I'd love to invest in something like this if it's working out nicely. But of course the optimal thing here would be to get bigger pots, for bigger growth, but since that is not an option, this seems fine.

As for nutes, you're probably good with that Fox thing. The only negative thing I've read so far about any nutes in flower, is that you shouldn't give the plant say 2-50-5 (random example). The plant will like us, take only what it needs and discard of the excess nutes. Do you know the particular formula of this nutrient solution? (N-P-K)

More lights would be awesome, as long as you can keep your heat down.

Bethany is definitively a ruderalis. It's small, and it's flowering by itself. It is rather small, isn't it? Does seem like it. Ruderalis is known for making smaller popcorn buds, but it's alright because of its nice size.

16. The Cha Ching is pretty hot. Its NPK is like 9-50-10, I believe. But I don't think I'll have an issue as long as I give it a good flush. Some have mentioned salt buildup but I think I'll be ok. But the guy who recommended it to me is an experienced grower and poster here and I trust him. However, I am open to other suggestions if anyone has anything. I just want to be doing everything I can to maximize yield, taste, smell, and potency.

17. Hey guys single seed center is giving away a free critical mass auto and white widow with every order today and 2 morrow.:)

18. Correction critical auto and white widow and it's just for today.

19. Damnit. I'm not quiiiiiite ready to order yet. Oh well, hopefully they will have something dank when I do order in a couple weeks. Thanks for the heads up though.

20. AAAANNNDDD...just found the trio of FF flowering nutes in sample sizes on ebay for like 20 bucks for the set. I will be purchasing those to try them out. It's the Beastie Bloom, Open Sesame, and Cha Ching.