Virgin grow - Semi-stealth Barrister's Box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by OneDayJD, Mar 26, 2012.

1. In other news...I made a little homemade vape the other night. It works fairly well, surprisingly. Probably cost me about 30 bucks to make it. Only needed an old jar with lid, some PVC, a soldering iron, some nylon tubing and a lamp dimmer. Presto, vape time. Here's a pic of it. Not trying to derail my own thread. Just thought it was pretty cool.

Attached Files:

• vape.jpg
      vape.jpg
      File size:
      408.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Nice avi btw Go Gamecocks!

3. Damn right. Go Cocks!

4. Lol love the DIY vaporizer! That is creative as fuck!

GO COCKS!!!!!!!!;)

5. Thanks, GH.

I put the weatherstripping around the light traps and the fans last night. Worked perfectly, no light leaks from the fans. Only light leaks I have now are a little one at the seal on the bottom of the back door, and at the top where the top meets the side wall - which I will fix with some caulk.

One of my girls was curling a good bit. I think she was thirsty because I gave her some juice Sunday night, and she's already looking better. I'm at three (3) nodes on at least two of these plants. They're going to 18/6 by the end of the week. And it's time for me to start LST'g, just got to get my pipe cleaners.

I want to top also. Should I start topping now? I've got all the knowledge I need for LST'g (at least I feel confident and comfortable enough to do it), but I'm still a little unsure about topping. Specifically, when I should start and how often or how many times I should do it. Take a look at the toddlers and tell me what you think. Thanks for watching.

Attached Files:

6. I would top now bro. I topped way 2 late! Had about 8 nodes. I think the earlier the better. Was checking out flowmasta's journal and that's when he tops and he said he gets like 8 tops or some shit! Don't know you should check his grow out its called watch flowmasta's buds get fat. This dude is getting a pound and a half every 3 months off of one plant! Wtf!

7. Damn brother. Thanks for the heads up. I may go ahead and do it tonight then. Got to read up on topping some more today so I will be prepared tonight. I've got a little razor blade I will probably use. I guess I'll soak it in alcohol for a bit and rinse it off or heat it to knock off any bad shit on there so I don't infect my babies.

8. On Thursday of this week the girls will have been under lights 24/0 for exactly two (2) weeks. So I will be starting 18/6 to veg this weekend. I am also probably ordering my FoxFarm trio pack of nutes this week when I get paid. Should I start feeding when I go to veg? Or should I give them a week or so under 18/6 before I start vegging? Thanks.

9. I started at 4 weeks from sprout cause I'm using ffof and it's got plenty of shit in it already. Don't know though on my first grow 2. On my second week of flowering!:):):) my girls are starting to stink bro woohoo! They are stretching like crazy! Grew 4in in a week over 2ft now!:)

P.s. u gotta make me one of those vaporizers lol!

10. I have soil with pretty much nothing in it so I started 2 weeks in. Make sure its a quarter the normal dose the first time you feed. Shit looks awesome.

Vapes dope too!

11. Sweetness. They were getting a little light (i.e., less heavy) last night so I gave them a little drink. I topped one of the plants. Sort of as a trial run to see if I did it right and what happens. I didn't want to fuck up all three of them.

12. Cool cant wait to c!:)

13. plants are looking good man. keep up the good work. cant wait to see the fruits of your labor!

14. Plants are looking good. I switched to 18/6 over the weekend. I also started LST last week and topped all three plants. No nutes yet, but will hopefully be getting those in a week or so. I hope I start seeing some pre-flowers soon and not pre-balls. I just hope it doesn't do it while I'm gone this week. I will be away from my girls for three days later this week. No real updates. Finally got a thermo in the box. Humidity and temps look good. Looks like they got a little warmer than I would like at some point during the light cycle, but the plants seem ok so I'm not going to worry about it. How soon could I possibly tell if these are girls? I've heard of some people getting pre-flowers within a week of switching to 18/6. I would love to be able to know that early.

I'm already drawing up plans for a new box. I am planning on doing a four chamber stealth cab. Basically two big chambers (one for veg, one for flowering), with a smaller chamber over the veg chamber for clones and cuttings, and the other smaller chamber just as a storage cabinet for nutes and supplies. This way I could have a perpetual grow going. I've just got to get the plans all drawn up, get my table saw from my other house, and get the wood and find the time to start building it. I have high hopes for this box. My current box will certainly get the job done, but my next grow will be in the big boy stealth cab. I've been researching other designs and am ironing everything out now. I'll probably keep CFLs for vegging (but get more watts) and put in something bigger for flowering. I just worry about keeping heat down with anything other than CFLs. I'll keep everyone updated on the design of the new box. Here are some pics of Bethany, Jenny, and Eve.

Attached Files:

15. Saw a spider mite in the box today. First one I've noticed. I'm not too worried about it right now, unless I see a shit ton more and/or they start affecting my babies. I spoke to my roommate about it and he said they're not necessarily in there for the plants, it could just be because they're rampant in my area of the state/country right now. And he's a landscaper with a horticulture degree, so I trust him. He went on to say that he didn't think they would harm my plants, but he's not familiar with the "breed of plants" I'm growing, so he could be wrong. He said to just watch it and see if it's affecting the plants. Finally, he told me there are plenty of chemicals that will take care of the mites, but he didn't know how that would affect my plants, so I should probably ask y'all about any possible organic remedies. Thoughts? Or should I not even worry about it at all?

Also, FWIW, I feel like my girls are drinking a shit ton of water. They're in smaller pots right now (about 1.5 gal or so), but they're drinking probably 16 to 26 ounces of H2O every two days or so right now. Must be thirsty!

16. Just ordered the Fox Farm trio pack (Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom). They will be here in two days. I will be out of town but when I get back on Sunday I know they'll be thirsty so I'll give them their first feeding (1/4 strength) on Sunday night!! :laughing:

17. Got my nutes. Holla! I was out of town for about three days this weekend for some much needed relaxation on a golf course. My babies got a little dry this weekend, but nothing terrible. One of the leaf tips on one of my girls got fucked up. I this it was too close to a CFL all weekend and just got cooked. I got some pictures of it. Should I just leave it be, cut that whole leaf off, or what?

Also, as you can see in another picture, one of my big fan leaves has some yellowing on it. I was under the assumption that yellowing can be due to over-watering. However, I'm almost positive that's not what happened. It's the only leaf like this in the whole crop. And the plants were dry as shit when I got back. I'm not too worried about it. Any thoughts?

I gave them their first feeding tonight. As you can see, I got the FF trio. I started tonight with the Grow Big and Big Bloom. I did about half (1/2) strength for the Big Bloom because I don't think I'll have an issue with nute burn since its NPK is relatively mild. I did quarter (1/4) strength with the Grow Big since it looks like it's a good bit stronger. HUGE props to MaineCronic for schooling me on the back channel in nutes.

My tap water ph before adding nutes was right about 6.5. Then I dumped in my nutes. WOW. It was down to about 4 or 4.5. Holy shit I wasn't expecting that. I used baking soda tonight to bring it back up. I won't continue to use baking soda because I don't want to built up excess salt. But my girls needed to get fed tonight and I was in a pinch, forgetting to get some ph-UP. I will be getting some legit ph-UP by the end of the week. So I will probably have it before I feed again. Worst case scenario, if they look bad I'll flush the hell out of them. But I ain't worried about it. ANYWAY...I knew it would be trial and error getting it right with the baking soda. But I got lucky and was able to bring the ph back up to about 6.5 or 6.8.

Nothing much else to report. I haven't seen a lot of vertical growth recently, but I'm ok with it because they're filling out more. I feel like I'm already seeing some pre-flowers but I'm sure that's just me being optimistic. And I don't want to jinx it. They've only been under 18/6 for a little more than a week. These plants are around one month old.

I'm all ears if anyone has any advice to offer. That's why I'm here - to become a better farmer. I'm still planning on a bigger, better box for flowering. But I still can't afford HID lighting, so I'm still going to have to use CFLs and just put as many of those bastards in there I can. Thanks for watching, and thanks for all the advice.

Attached Files:

18. Hey bro! Looking good! I'm half asleep just woke up for work.:(
    Was looking on Craigslist yesterday and there is a guy in charlie town selling a shit load of HIDS 1000, 600, 400, and 150wt. They are reasonably priced to. He has tents and all kinds of shit ! U should check it out.

Holla at ya later man I'm a fucking zombie right now. Lol

19. No shit? I'll have to check that out. What section did you find it in? Thanks bra.

20. Nevermind, just found it. Some of his stuff looks awesome. And priced really really well. I'm just a little wary of buying stuff like this off CL. Seems to me like this is either somebody that just decided to shut down their entire grow (either by choice or other) and is having a fire sale. OR...this is all stuff that was seized and it's a big sting operation?? I'm just being a conspiracy theorist. Besides, all the massive busts down here are usually powder and rocks.