Viparspecta or Mars hydro.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by edwardvanhalen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hey guys I am going to be getting an LED soon and I was wondering would you guys get the vipar spectra or the 300 watt galaxy Hydro. The vipar Spectra is only $100 I think and the Mars Hydro is 300 so I'm guessing the Mars Hydro might be the best way to go but what do you guys think. The most I could spend is $300

2. I have the viparspectra and it works great!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just know that the lighting you use is the most important piece of equipment that you will own. Absolutely everything these plants do is based off light and you're not going to find a quality piece of equipment with enough wattage to flower off a nice plant for nothing. The Mars Hydro lights are pretty widely used because they are less expensive than most of the other LEDs out there. Know that they are made in China with cheap labor and parts and then floated over the ocean to get here and I've seen lots of posts by people who bought them and weren't happy with what they received. Others bought them and like their performance. But I would most definitely go with the Mars Hydro over the other. In order for a plant to give all its got, it has to have enough wattage of light and make it happen. Most new growers think that the light is just a light and that the nutes do all the magic. But that's certainly not the case. The stronger and better quality light you hang over your plants throughout their lives but especially during the flower cycle, the better the plant is going to grow and the more buds you will have at harvest. Weak lighting just creates a tall and lanky plant that has stretched to try to get all the light it can.

Growing MJ is not a cheap hobby when first starting out. We dropped a little over 5K just with the first equipment order we made to set up our first room. After all was said and done, I imagine I have over 10K in what I've got going on. Just remember that each and every plant needs enough space to grow and naturally be able to relax to allow light penetration below the canopy and it needs strong enough proper spectrum lighting to make it grow out and do it's best. Learning how to do this is a process and takes time. You'll have to grow a couple and take them through their life cycle before it all starts to fall into place and really clear up in your mind...or it did me. There are just so many different parts and pieces to putting one of these together and making it work. But if I can do it and be successful at it, anybody can. I didn't even start till my late 40's when my kids were married and out of the house...and I pretty much had to teach myself because I didn't have access to the forums. Use the forum to help you. There is a search bar at the top of the forums page. It will pull all threads related to the key word you search. Looking at what others are doing and learning how they handle their operation is very beneficial to someone just starting out. Hope all goes well! TWW

• Like Like x 4
  4. #4 mook2707, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Not to comment on the brand, but I'm wishing I had coughed up a bit more dough and gone from the 300 to the 600. Times were tight. 300 is alright, and I'm getting delightful herbs, but... the more the merrier?

From what I've read, just a higher quality 300 would be an improvement.

P.s. NOT an led expert.

Be kind. Learn your craft. We are one family.

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...hare_tid=1420156&share_fid=78765&share_type=t
    Mook's Indoor Numero Tres - Super Skunk and Chocolope

5. #5 Robbie714, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Mook I didn't know you grew with LEDs? I'm sort of surprised lol! I wish I had bought 2 300's instead of 1 mars 600 Mars. But I was looking for a while before I bought a Mars ll 1600 now in a 4x4 jardin. 6"inch inline and one 6" clip fan and an 8" floor fan. Temps 77 to 80 degrees. Two freebies from Nirvana I started flower three weeks into veg. I had to freebies left and they're both female.

PS. I know a lot of people don't like MarsHydro because they're made in China and other reasons but mostly your TVs and phones are made the same way I've never had a problem with them myself. I like the kind LED that will be my next light I think it's the 1000. Good luck Man sure you'll find something that will suit your needs!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] by the way I'm no expert either

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanks a lot for all the info it helped me out a lot. I think I'm going to get the mars hydro.
    If I could spend 400 bucks would you recommend any other light?

7. For 300$ you could buy four Mars hydro 150 watt lights, the Mars 300 Old Model. (100x3)

In my personal opinion they are pretty decent lights, I have four of them. When I grew with them I used auto flowers and pulled 2oz from each auto plant with them. I did it with the biodiesel mass from advanced seeds, and also heavyweight vast & fast. I started growing with them, but right now I am on my first grow with a MH/HPS, 1000 watt system. If it wasn't a security issue I would sell you my four Mars 300 old model lights for 25$ each.

If you do choose the Mars 300 just use one over top of each plant. I had really bushy autos with them. I would highly recommend them to someone who wanted a cheap LED setup.

Also keep in mind that you will probably need some kind of ventilation system depending on your setup. If you have any questions feel free to message me, I will answer what I can.

If you're not set on LED I would check out MH/HPS lights too. They are cheap and they work very well. I have never grown with them besides my current grow , but you can find plenty of journals on here with people using them. I would suggest getting an air cooled hood if you do though, my 1000 watt makes my room hot as hell, have an air cooled hood on the way now.

Anyways, you have lots to think about. Make sure you think things through well though. If you need help figuring things out ask on here, everyone here is fairly friendly and willing to help. There are more than a few very knowledgable people who browse the forums as well.

Good luck!

Awesome post man!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yield Lab 600w HPS+MH Cool Tube Hood Reflector Grow Light Kit - If you're interested in a HID system light kit check this one out. Sign up for the prime free trial and get it to your house in two days.

I don't use that setup though but I'm sure if you asked someone here does and will tell you all about it. Has a 4 star rating on Amazon, but only 19 reviews.

I use a hydrofarm setup which is a little more expensive I believe. I also use a magnetic ballast instead of a digital because I am worried about RFI.

9. Yield Lab 600w HPS+MH Cool Tube Hood Reflector Grow Light Kit

12. Hid air cooled. Mars is older led technology. Led experts wouldn't even recommend them.. if you dont want to spent to much cash go with hid, if you want to invest in a efficient bad ass led you're going to need to pay for it. Anything blurple isn't up to par.

13. That Mars Hydro light the dick fickle or whatever his name is recommended is actually only 278 watts. Most, if not all LED light only run a half power, but advertise as if the light runs at full power.. Don't ask me why LED companies do this, I think it's absolutely retarded.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So do you think I should just get the 300 dollar one? Or spend the extra 60 for the 600 watt.

15. Always go with more, especially with a blurple.

16. What's the 300$ one? I mentioned that you could get four 300 watt Mars, which are actually 140-150 watts for 300$ that would be enough to grow four autos. I've never grown photoperiod plants.

If you want to just grow one plant at a time then I would go ahead with the 600 watt (278w actual), and spend the rest to get a fan and carbon filter. You'll need a filter if smell is an issue. One marijuana plant will smell up your entire house, with a carbon filter it will only smell in the enclosed space the plant is in.

Is this your first attempt at growing?

17. You said you had up to $ 300 It will be fine for 1 plant .

18. Ok I will prolly get the 600 watt. I don't think I can get a carbon filter because I would have nowhere to put it.
    I am only growing one plant so I think I would be able to mask the smell with a bunch of glade plug ins and those things you plug on to your fan and it blows scented air out.

I just started growing again. 5 years ago I was so good at growing.
    All the plants I harvested were perfect. I had a big yield and all I used was cfl's and miracle gro. I know everything about it, just some stuff I forgot.