Violent

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by GGrass, Dec 10, 2009.

1. I'm not a pacifist, so I still believe in violence. I believe that there are times when violence is needed to solve the problem. So if I feel that violence is what is needed, I do not hesitate to use that.

But the question is, how far am I willing to go?

Will I go as far as killing the guy?

And I'm afraid I might.

Why? Because otherwise I wouldn't go to war in the first place. If I'm going to goto war with rubber bullets, I might as well shoot myself with a real gun. So if I HAVE to goto war, I'm going with my guns firing real bullets.

That's why I don't want to goto wars.

2. a good question to ask yourself, if there were no other options would I be able to kill another person? It would depend a lot on the person i was staring down the barrel at of but, yes, if their were no option I think I could do it.

hard to say though, never been in any situation close to that. Its a hypothetical anyway because in reality there are always other options.

peace and love is a better way:smoking:

3. Gotta side with Funken here. Violence is always a sign of someone getting their ass kicked mentally, in my opinion. If you can't be an adult and reason a situation out, but have to resort to violence like some of the stupider jocks in high school whom we all know, you've lost, my friend, no matter how the fight/stabbing/shooting ends up.
    Part of the problem is that people tend to take themselves too seriously and wanna react all the time. That's silly because no human being should mean more to you than you, and if you're cool with you than no insult can bother you. No slight will hurt you. And if you toke regularly, and I suggest everyone does, then you'll find the fact that other human beings can be unreasonable pretty freaking amusing! You'll learn to love everyone, regardless what they think, because you'll understand that everybody has their own little world shaped by their childhood, personal experiences, friends, media... It has nothing to do with you personally, people simply are who they are, and when you run into them you will feel the affect of their little world. It's all pretty wild...
    What was I talking about?
    Oh yeah, something about weed... weed and personal worlds. Hey I'm rambling! Cooooool... I LOVE doing this! Damn cat won't leave me alone, meyowing and bumping into my typing arm... oh wait, there's no food in her bowl. That'll do it- she gets upset when she doesn't eat for some reason. But see, I don't let that bother me! I've just bumped into her world that's all, and after a quick puff or two I'll jump up (or wobble up, yeah, wobble seems more appropriate) and take care of it. Problem solved without violence!

:smoking:

Ghan-Jah, lord of the Harvest, says:
    "Violence a big no-no. Bongs a big yes-yes. May the whole world be bongs and couches, couches and bongs... and TV's. Couches and bongs and TV's as far as the eye can see...."

4. All politics eminate from the business end of a gun.

The important bit is how and when those guns come into play. Most democracies hold them as a tool of last resort. Only to be utilized where diplomacy ends, and ones own society is threatened (or attacked) by outside forces.

The last such cut and dry just war, was WW2. And even then, democratic nations waited to oppose violent totalitarianism until it was almost too late.

But most wars are not just. Most wars are merely armed robbery on a grand scale.

As for civil society (not nation-relations), the use of violence is at best troublesome ethically. Personally I can not see myself seeking a physical fight with anyone, though on the other side, I've never backed down from tense situations, though luckily they've ended peacefully.

So I'm not a pacifist. But I'll never be the one who starts a violent fight. I'm much better with words than fists or guns at any rate.

As for being a soldier in a war situation, well, I'm too old for one thing, but if push come to shove, I'll happily be a part of the home-guard.

5. This right here.

6. Lol i know. Sometimes i find myself thinking every one else is a bunch of stupid apes

7. And here i was thinking i was the only one that thought this.

Well said.

8. You guys are right. Violence is not cool. If years of smoking has taught me anything it's that.

BUT,

I'm in a situation, where I have to collect debt from this guy who shows sign of turning sour. The amount isn't important, but to give you some idea, it's equivalent of about 50,000 USD.

Now, we don't make any legal contract when we lend money to people. We are men of honour, and words must be kept.

BUT, because some people are theives and dishonest, we need to 'enforce' our wills from time to time.

I know I'm beginning to sound like somebody from low budget mafia movie, but that's how it is.

I have to collect 50,000 USD from this guy, and before I go to see him, I must be damn sure I'm coming back with the money.

So...

What do I do?

Talk to him nicely?

9. Well, G, if you're lending that amount of money with no written agreement, can I assume this person is a friend? If so, what exactly will beating him up accomplish? If he doesn't have the money he can't give it to you, and you man-handling him isn't going to make him say, "Gosh, what a great guy! I can't see anymore, and have two broken arms, but still, what a swell dude. I can't wait to do whatever it takes to get him some money. It's gonna be a while 'cause I can't exactly go to work in my current condition, but I'll make paying this thug back my top priority!"
    G, that ain't gonna work, you'll just end up losing a friend. Instead, you might wanna be as nice to the lendee as possible and maybe guilt alone will make him pay you back. Maybe he just needs more time. Maybe not. Even so, trust that you're doing the right thing cosmically, and doing the right thing is always better than doing the wrong thing. I've found in my life that simply relaxing and taking the high road always works out, even if I can't see how at the time.
    Money, no matter how much, is just a thing. Your place in the universe, your spot in the karmic cycle, and your opinion of yourself is everything!
    :wave:

"He who has 50 thousand dollars to loan out clearly is not buying enough weed!"

10. Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    He was a pretty smart guy.

11. I try to solve problems with my intellect as much as I can.

But if someone can't act like a mature adult human being, I won't hesitate to stomp their ass. I haven't been in a fight since high school though.

12. #12 Perpetual Burn, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
    Physical violence such as a fist fight is a moral no-no. To allow your ego to want to inflict pain upon another human shows a great lack of wisdom, self-control, and understanding.

War, on the other hand, is a bit of an ethical delimma. I would have to say that, for the most part, invading another nation is morally wrong. But defending your own nation, your own people, and culture is a different story. For me, it would depend on the intentions of those who are invading. If they are invading simply to overthrow the US government, then I might be pulling for them. But if they are invading to enlave and/or kill all American citizens, then I may fight. "Live free or die."

But I would remember this, "He who fight and run away live to fight another day."

13. See, I don't get that, Smith. In my opinion if you "try to use intellect as much as possible," and fail, perhaps you should try to sharpen your intellect. True insight will never fail you. And if the person is still being a dumbass so what? Is it your job to straighten them out? Why? And why would you care what someone else is doing? Why expend the energy? And what is this stomping that you refer to, what exactly does that do? If a stupid person gets pounded because you didn't like his behavior does he suddenly become more intelligent and better behaved? Nope, he'll still be himself. That means you're not accomplishing anything except attempting to satiate your own ego by administering what you consider punishment. And that doesn't work either, because you never know who's going to react poorly to getting stomped and you could be putting yourself, or your family, in danger.

Besides, kicking ass takes effort, and no one, and I mean no one, should be able to goad you to the point of doing physical work. Especially if you're a stoner. Just observe the idiot, shrug your shoulders, smoke some weed, and move the f on. No one should be more important to you than you. But if you, a normally peaceful person, are beating someone up, then they have become more important to you than you, just because they got you out of your peaceful element and into common thuggery; a clear loss on the scorecard of Karma.

Don't take yourself so seriously, Smith! Just let go, relax, and have an extra toke on me!
    :wave:

"Me never fight, so me never been defeated!"

14. Or just walk away. Why would anyone waste their time fighting unless their defending themselves or their loved ones?

15. Happy Smoke, thanks for your guiding hands. You're definitely right. Beating him up won't make him cough out the money.

I'm turning to violence because I don't have any other option, but I just thought of an option.

I will help him make money, so he has the money to pay me back.

In another words, I will make him my slave. Not exactly 'slave', but you know what I mean... make him work for me.

16. Yep, that seems like a better idea to me. Cooperation is one of those things that always produces cool side-effects. Just be careful that this isn't about revenge, or based in anger, because those elements tend to be destructive. Tell yourself you're doing this out of kindness, that you're purposely extending an olive branch of peace as opposed to the more obvious, but much stupider, choice of action. Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter, tell yourself it's about good things and you will get good results. I've found in my life that when your intention is aligned with good everything you want will be added to you.
    Thanks for the kind words, G. I'm glad my pot-addled brain was able to come up with something helpful! Wait, GhanJah has even more advice...

"The Harvest need good vibes to grow. He who is kind to neighbor receive much smoke!"

17. HappySmoke : Man, your advise is so easy to listen to, AND actually agree with. Why?

Coz you're right!

Bad vibe ruins everything... while good vibe makes everything good.

I even thought about giving him a visit with my 'dog' and threaten to unleash the dog if he didn't pay up... But that was never a real plan... just a back up plan in case I can't think of anything else...

BUT,

I've changed my 'vibe' from bad to good. I'm thinking good things for him. No hidden agenda. I want him to start making some money, so that he won't have to be in this kind of shit, and I can get my money back.

I have an idea on how to help him, but it's a BIG idea... it requires a lot of things to be done, and more difficult, a lot of people need to be persuaded.

According to my plan, he needs to close his business, sell everything, pay back his debts to everyone, and start working for this other guy. He'll be paid monthly salary by the new boss, which is going to be very little, but it's going to be enough for him and his family to live on, AND pay back to me a little bit every month.

I don't care if I get all the money back in this life time or not, but he has to pay back SOMETHING regularly. Make it his habit.

Anyway...

Hey, thanks a lot, and hope you get good vibes for your kind advise. I really appreciate it.

:smoke:

18. IMO. violence is used to solve ignorant arguments. what i mean by this, is not only the argument ignorant, but if either participant in the argument is ignorant than it will end in violence once it reaches a certain extent. once emotion takes over rationality i would say violence is likely to occur aswell.

19. I say this all the time in regard to actual war... If you are not willing to unleash tactical nukes, cluster bombs, gas, and all of our other goodies, then it is not important enough to go to war.

That being said, I dream of the day where mankind purges itsself from the infantile need to destroy things.

Anyways, the worst type of violence isn't physical at all.

20. hmmm

Give 'er.

The right mindset really catalyzes ingenuity.

Ah, I know what a forum such as this might put to use: a chin-scratching emoticon.