Views on being a loner

Discussion in 'General' started by OG Tom Nook, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kinda strange question but I just want to know everyone's opinion. Some people think its important to be social and interact with peers. When I was a teen my parents always wanted me to be social and involved with school activities/sports. The only thing is all my life, or at least as far back as I can remember, I've loved being alone. I spend about 90% of my free time in my room, on my computer or Xbox, and have for the past 4-5 years. Its just that people constantly dissapoint me so much, and I guess I gave up on trying pretty early. Ive also always been a thinker, sometimes staying up early into the morning, doing nothing but laying in my bed thinking. I know there are other people out there like this. Even if you think it is really important to be social, post a reply! Convince me that it is more important to be social, and that I will be more satisfied being social than alone.

2. I am a misanthrope, people contantly make me disgusted, angry, disappointed and most of them are just stupid. I actually only enjoy the company of one person, and only because we have an awesome deep connection. Otherwise i enjoy being by myself with nature or in my room listening to music. I have to socialize but every time i do i end up regretting it. Being social isnt important but socializing is. Ya feel me?

3. I cant persuade you that being social is important, because I myself dont believe in it. I have to agree abput the diappointment in other people when you respect someone and they make up names. They dont really mean it but i dont like when people do that. If I was to confront them about it they would brush it off like why are you upset. In a group conversation I tend to get faded out by others, so I give up trying and remain silent. When Im alone I often get bored or depressed. I guess im too weird to be social and too lonely to be alone. The best thing for me is sticking with like 2 other people during the whole evening.

4. I like being alone, Or with my kitty's with some ganja in the garden ^^'

5. I go through phases of over indulgence in both socializing and being a hermit. It works for me and most of my friends understand that they might not see or hear from me for a while but when they do we always have a lot to catch up on. Its not that I don't like them its just that I enjoy time alone and away from every one. It makes our time together more meaningful and special. I don't know if any of that will help you but thats all I can tell you.

6. I love being on my own that's the only time I truly enjoy myself. I've been trying to cut ties with my friends and work colleagues for months now so I can enjoy my life, but they won't let me go they keep forcing themselves in to my life and quite frankly wrecking it, and I can't bring myself to just be like "I don't want to spend time with you". I feel so misunderstood they all think I should be social and that everyone has to be social, I hate it and I feel like just moving to the forest to get those blood sucking leaches off my neck. End rant.

7. Or a fucking island.word.

8. what I do is just stop answering calls and always just have something else you are going to do. at first they might think youre being an asshole but they will get over it then explain to them that you dont need to be surrounded by people all the time. They might understand, my friends did.

9. I've honestly done this so many times, I even think they know that I am doing this making up things that I'm doing etc. but they always manage to get me in a position where I have no excuses. I've also stated on several occasions I prefer my own company to others all to no avail. I think they think it's in my best interest to be social so they're making me do it cause "it's for my own good" but every time I am social I hate it, it's my life I just wish people would let me live it the way I want too, I'm moving country soon to get away from them all it seems the only option atm.

10. Once you spend too much time as a loner, it becomes hard as fuck to break the mold when you finally find people you're actually interested in being around for more than a tiny bit..

At least in my experience.. And once you experience the good feelings that come from wholesome group interaction, yeah, doing stuff by yourself now & again feels good, but I start to miss the feeling of being with others when I'm alone too long.

11. I got you all beat = ) I really am a hermit,most of you would prolly think I have clinical depression or some other pseudoscience

I have no friends.i have my family my cat and my pc and that's all i need.

Socializing is only important to those who need to make way more money then they'll ever need.

I have been Re-educating myself through internet.

After you get out of highschool or college and get a job,women,kids= friends and free time become a thing of the past.Loner is just a word made up by people who dont like other people who choose to spend thier free time and will by themselves learning about life instead of wasting it!

Dont be fooled into taking pharmaceuticals!

12. I'm kind of like this in a way, I love chillin an being around people but I still value my alone time. Thing is I've had waaay to much of it this past 8months! it seriously sucks dingleberries. After my ex left me an I moved I've been very distant from old friends/people I used to chill with. It was kind of my fault because I locked myself away from the world for awhile an so now there just to far for us to meet up an hang. I think being social is good because we need that bond with other people, I think it gives us better memories, an stories to tell. Who wants to die having lived life alone? When you get that flashback thingy right before your last few breaths don't you want um to be fucking awesome!?? not just you sitting in your room playing xbox & on the computer. I mean sure I <3 xbox & the net as much as anyone else but wouldn't it be awesome to have someone next to you with a controller in there hand. Wouldn't it be much better to remember how you stood out all night with that one friend & almost got into a buttload of trouble or just had the time of your life? You can still have your alone time, you can still do what you like an what you wanna do, but you can also go out every now & then an make some epic adventures with a few cool friends. :]

13. i m loner too except 1 friend

14. I am like you op. an INTROVERT. Google it. You will be glad you did

15. Any INT's in this thread?

16. [quote name='"shaddytheman"']Any INT's in this thread?[/quote]

Yo

17. What's your type? I'm a INTJ.

18. "Stay to myself like loners do
    Get high by myself cos I'm not in the mood
    To politic or be fake with you
    I apologize if you ever knew "

:smoke:

most times that's ^ how I feel exactly, but then sometimes you wanna hang out with your buddies. Balance is good.

19. I'm as introverted as the next guy. I get used to being alone, and after a few days/weeks of no contact with friends, I get irritated when I'm asked to hang out - I feel like my privacy is being invaded yadayada.

Thing is, I'm not ignorant in excusing my introversion to myself. Nobody could - in their right mind - say that no social contact is a positive thing. We are social animals and we feed off other people. We need other people to accept us and respond to us positively to feel good and get on in life, otherwise we turn into insecure hermits who get anxious at the idea of walking past people in the street. I know this because I am that guy, so please don't get all butthurt if you're an anxious person and don't think your introversion is to blame.

Put it this way: if you didn't have your PC, your weed, your TV or whatever it is you spend all your time doing alone, then I guarantee you would spend more time around people, and you would actively seek friendship. But because you have your video games, your films and your books, you can get pleasure without the use of other people - in other words, you don't need another person to have a good time. So because you can have fun on your own - screw other people! Right? It's too much of a hassle and somebody might call you a fag because of the shirt you're wearing, so why risk the effort when you can get instant gratification from Call of Duty without the risk of anxiety/rejection/whatever the fuck it is us kids are getting our panties all twisted up for right now?

Truth is, though, the satisfaction and happiness you get from other people - while often punctuated by some grief - is always better than being alone. It's straight up unhealthy to be a loner. Yes people can be a pain in the ass, they can appear stupid and insensitive. But if you've never had a heart to heart with someone you thought was a mindless idiot not worthy of your time, then you should try it. In my experience, most people are very similar in how they feel. They probably get anxious like you, and they probably wonder what the point is just like you.

I'm speaking for myself here, but I'll be damned if this shit doesn't apply to most other "loners" out there.

20. I'm pretty much the same way, although I do like the option of having a social life sometimes.