Video of Hell's Gate

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoopid Toker, May 17, 2011.

1. I have never heard of this before, but saw it today, thought it was really interesting...

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3dd_1305571192]LiveLeak.com - Hells Gate[/ame]

So its 1971, some geologists hit a cavern of natural gas and decide to light it on fire to burn off the gas in a couple of days. Here it is, 40 years later, and it is still burning strong. Crazy shit...

Apparently not burning it would be worse though.

Edit: this would probably be best in the sci & nature forum, so if a mod runs along this and feels like moving it... i dont care.

2. holy shit

3. cool man.

dont have anything to say.

4. So thats where Mordor is

5. What's stopping someone from just putting the fire out with water?

6. I think the fact its a desert and theres no water around

7. And if they put it out (if they even can) it would just be releasing methane gas. That would be worse than just a ton of co2.

8. I gathered that much, but I'd figure someone would just put it out for shits and giggles.

Edit: Never mind it's probably a lot bigger than it looks.

9. /expected screamer

10. 40 years of burning gas, and money at once, bravo.

11. where is that?

12. If I'm not mistaken, people were drilling there when they tapped into the cavern full of methane. They decided to light all the gas in hopes that it would all burn out in a few days, and probably hoped to resume drilling...suffice to say, they underestimated how much methane was actually there.

13. A desert in Terkmenistan, place is called Derweze.