Video Games and Children?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Sublime, Nov 14, 2016.

1. So I'm not against games before people get upset. I just don't play them anymore. I used to be a big gamer myself as a kid and growing in my teens, it slowly died off until now where I don't even play at all. so it'd be hypocritical of me to condone use as a kid.

But anyways, in my college English literature class, between the other students and I, we talked about video games before class started. a guy mentioned how it'd be a good idea to make an American history Literature video game to teach people history instead of the normal way.

2 people in class were opposed to it (one was in her late 20s, maybe early 30s the other was a lot older, won't day age to be generous), and both said they had experience of when their kid started playing a game like GTA, their attitude changed and they became more aggressive and rage filled. they both claimed they saw immediate severe personality changes (for the worse).

Now, they're talking about little kids. under 13. how do you all feel about what was said? do you really think games are detrimental or harmful to kids, especially like GTA???

2. These kids fucked my mom last night. Need I say more?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. What savages those kids are! LOL! I mostly am just wondering if what these parents claimed happened is something that they have seen or if it's just a load of dung. I personally have no problems against games, just don't play them myself as I said

• Like Like x 1
  4. Its a load of shit lol

If your child is an immature brat acting out it's the parents lack of parenting not a video game

If they think video games are a substitute for engaging with and keeping a child stimulated, it's again the parents fault

I'm also not saying kids should not play video games but maybe they (the parents) should cut down on that time and add in more beneficial time to teach their kid what's fuckin right and wrong lol

• Like Like x 6
  5. That could definitely play a role as well. yeah, you can teach them right and wrong, but what they are suggesting is that games like GTA teach them wrong from the start and their attitude starts changing significantly. they can always fix it later, but would you say that it is a legitimate claim?

When I was a kid and played games, it was limited. I had cut off hours and a curfew. I agree with what you're saying

6. Video games make kids rude, guns kill people, spoons make people fat, marijuana is a gateway drug.

But seriously kids are going to go through phases including acting like assholes. If they aren't mature enough to not allow their behavior to be influenced by games then it could contribute to bad behavior. As could movies, or music or books. The problem is not any of those forms of media but rather how the child responds to them.

Which is why games get 17+ ratings. Because the vast majority of 17 year olds will be mature enough for those games while maybe 40% of 13 year olds would be. My theory anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I wasn't limited and I turned out fine. Played GTA, Duke nukem, doom, diablo, the list goes on

It still comes down to how you raised your kid...

If you're letting your kid play mature games but you are also not making sure your kid can differentiate from reality and video game

I don't blame the game, or the kid

I blame the up bringing

• Like Like x 2
  8. That's very true. i mean, I played GTA 3 when it first came out as a kid and I also played a lot of fighting games. I think I turned out fine as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My pops let us game M rated games when we were younger, wasn't allowed in my moms house till I was about 16. He told us, he trusts us to differentiate between what's real and what is a video game, first time we played he made sure we understood.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. Same here. I watched shows like Family Guy when I was a kid (even though my gma told me not to, I did anyways.... all the time!!!!), and I played a Family Guy game once and played lots of games rated M as a kid, even God of War. Seriously though, I think it's no big deal for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's interesting because as a gamer since video games started (pong! Lol) we've always had video games here at home yet not one of my 3 kids ever once expressed an interest in playing them.

J

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good discussion.

There are so many variables in play when talking about a child's brain development.

Media of all forms certainly influence a child, but for anyone to claim media drives a child's development would be unfounded.

Some mental illness is hard to avoid when you consider genetic predispositions. However, the environment is what I believe to be hold the most weight.

Relationships, or lack there of, are what drives a child's development and it starts with parents/parental figures.

Connecting video game exposure to violent behavior or aggressive personalities is understandable but lazy.

In cases of correlation, I try to look at the whole picture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I firmly believe that video games inspire instant gratification type behaviours, which often lead to a lack of will to moderate ones choices, making things like addiction a natural progression.. But then again, most things in todays culture play to this idea in a pretty big way.

14. Technology is fairly new as far as this generation goes. People have not yet learned to use it. Some, it's the first thing they do when they wake up is grab their phone and look at messages or open an app, or spend 10's of hours a week on a game.

In time the people will learn to use it properly, it can be a great thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lol how does that work when people make money streaming themselves playing videogames???

• Like Like x 1
  16. Get alot of followers more followers like hundreds of thousands then like you tube put you at the top then all advertising wants you because of all of your followers so advertisers pay you tube then you tube pays that person

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. We have quite a bit of research available in which people have attempted to link agression to video games and none have proven any correlation. The concept has been tested for decades. Agressive behavior is more likely to come from youth sports than playing call of duty.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah I don't buy it iether. You might see a change in attitude from kids playing heavy Xbox but it's because all games give you little kicks of dopamine which is very addictive.
    So depending on which way you look at it, candy crush is just as dangerous as gta or gta is just as harmless as candy crush.
    You can't pour petrol on a dog then set it on fire playing candy crush like but that really says more about me for doing it lol.

19. #19 Dizzy, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    I Grew Up Playing them my Self I Turned out Fine...never did anyting Violent...I Still Play a lot of Video Games a lot with my Husband an I don't Mind if my Kids Play either so Long as they go Outside an Play sometimes too tho.

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Long time spent with Vietnamese hooker loving you long time is good time

• Like Like x 1