Video game newbie

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Ferdi, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Long version/explaining the extent of my ignorance with games:
    after i posted a thread asking for something cheerful to do, 2 members suggested video games. I hadnt done that in years because i got into music. i stopped playing Playstation before PS2 even came out and the last computer game i played was Fifa98 (we always had a crappy computer at home, and then it was just laptops for me).
    So after Dr. Weed and Calcifer (thank you both again, if you read this) suggested video games, i borrowed Half Life 2 from a friend and played. Wasnt my type of game but i definitely enjoyed it. Now, i know not all games work on laptops so i need sugggestions to fun games to play high. I have a laptop now and i know i cant run all games on it, so here are the specs, and if you can think of a game i can play, please recommend :D i was into soccer, fighting and action games a lot back in the day

-HP Pavilion Dv7-1262
    -Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7450 (2.13 Ghz)
    -500 GB hard disk (not so much space left for Windows since i only used that for recording. I mainly use Linux). But i have an external 1TB hard disk. can I install games on that one?
    -4096MB DDR2 SDRAM
    -LightScribe Super Multi 8x DVD RW drive
    -Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1
    -17" WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen-Infinity-Display
    -nVidia GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB dedicated DDR2 graphic memory

Short version:
    i want to get back to gaming, i have NO idea whatsoever whats going on, laptop specs are above, need a good game to play high.
    2nd question: should i install games on an external (USB) hard disk?

the saddest thing about this post: im a Software Engineering major

All help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. dude just pack your computer up in a box and tape it shut and put it back into your closet

oh yea and get your money back for the school your paying for

3. I was kinda surprised to get this kinda reply here but then i saw your post count hahaha

4. I install all my games on my external HDD instead of my laptop and its only a 300 gigs big. Your laptop is ten times better than mine so you should be fine with the gaming.

5. Thanks man :) The laptop is still new (my old one broke down a short while ago). I wasnt able to play anything on that one.
    So are there any games you would recommend?

6. The Witcher is a pretty good mature action RPG, I enjoyed it for the most part. Big emphasis on the mature part. Very story driven but lots of action too.

I also liked Far Cry 2 which a lot of people didn't but that's a judgment call. Crysis is another good first person shooter also but it will take what you think is a beast of a machine and cripple it.

Oh yeah and don't forget Civilization 4 I have lost hours to that.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are also really good action RPG type games. Oblivion is so massive I've never even messed with the main storyline and still have gotten a ton of hours worth of gameplay out of it. And Fallout 3 is probably the best game made this decade (no joke).

I just realized most of the games I'm recommending are at least a year old. I guess I'm out of the loop too.

7. I second Oblivion. I've put 40-50 hours on that game in a week, baked as hell. Definitely one of my favorite games.

Starcraft too. It was made in 97, but it is still amazing. If you are looking for soccer games try the newer FIFAs or Pro Evolution Soccer.

8. Honestly depends on what kind of games you like. I have WoW and CS 1.6, both games i recommend if you like MMORPG's and first person shooters. I have tried playing other MMO's and FPS's but none of them have compared to those two games I mentioned.

9. When I'm stoned I can't really play games that require too much brainpower, but I still love Fallout 3, best game I've ever played. The game of the year edition just came out which includes all of the expansions so I would look into that (it's by the same developers as Oblivion - if you like fantasy / medieval shit go into Oblivion, if you like post-apocalyptic shit / guns check out Fallout. Both fantastic games.)

10. These are some good action RPGs

Fallout3
    Oblivion
    Mass effect
    Borderlands
    Farcry 2 (or just the original farcry)
    bioshock
    STALKER shadow of chernobyl

If you are looking for strategy games Most of the "Total War" games are good.

If you are looking for just some pure FPS' with solid multiyplayer here are some good ones

Counter-strike source/1.6
    Call of duty modern warfare
    Left for dead

11. Thank you ALL! i looked into it and it looks like im gonna start trying to get my hands on most games mentioned here. i might even start today since im kinda sick and im getting some weed today. friday night wont go to waste that way :D

12. GET DRAGON AGE ORIGINS. Holy fuck this game is good. If you like RPGs, at least.

13. You haven't experienced Grand Theft Auto get San Andreas naow

14. I saw the trailer and seriously, after taking a break so long from video games, the advancement FLOORED me! Im definitely getting that as soon as im bored with what im playing now (Fifa10, Counter Strike 1.6, Half Life 2 and Fallout 3)

GTA1 was one of my favorite games back in the day when I knew something about video games. Im adding that to my list.

Thanks all :)