Victory! Congress lifts ban on Washington, D.C.'s medical marijuana law

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ImTheJoker4u2, Dec 13, 2009.

1. #1 ImTheJoker4u2, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
    Dear John:​

The great news just keeps coming in.
    Minutes ago, Congress voted to finally lift the 11-year ban on Washington, D.C.’s medical marijuana law.
    The House voted 221-202 and the Senate voted 57-35 to approve the measure.
    For the last 11 years, under a provision known as the Barr amendment, Congress has prevented Washington, D.C. from implementing the medical marijuana law passed by 69% of voters in 1998.
    Repealing this amendment has been a primary focus of MPP's federal lobbying efforts for many years. In 2007, we even hired former Congressman Bob Barr (R-Ga.) — the original author of the amendment — to lobby to overturn it. And our lobbyists have worked directly with members of the House and Senate and their staff since 2006 to eliminate this democracy-unfriendly law.
    In fact, senior appropriators in Congress sought out MPP staff to work through specifics and to help better understand D.C.'s medical marijuana law and the complicated legal maneuverings that led to the blocking of its implementation.
    MPP would like to thank Congressmen Jose Serrano (D-N.Y.), Dave Obey (D-Wis.), Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), and Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) for their strong and abiding support of allowing D.C. to implement its medical marijuana law.
    I also want to thank MPP's 29,000 dues-paying members, whose support helped to make this win possible. If you'd like to see more of these kinds of successes, I hope you'll donate to MPP's federal lobbying efforts. We're turning supporters' donations into results, and we can't do it without you.
    Today's vote represents a victory not just for medical marijuana patients, but for all Americans, who have the right to determine their own policies without federal meddling. We'll be celebrating this victory in D.C. at our anniversary gala on January 13, and I hope you'll join us.
    Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Rob Kampia

Executive Director

Marijuana Policy Project

Washington, D.C.
    P.S. Time is running out on our matching campaign! A major philanthropist has committed to match the first $2.35 million that MPP can raise in 2009. Make twice the impact and donate today.
    P.P.S. You can opt out of receiving fundraising mentions in the e-mail alerts I send you in 2009 by visiting Marijuana Policy Project: Survey - Donations Opt-out at your convenience.​

Support the Marijuana Policy Project

Raised in '09
    $1,432,065
    Goal in '09
    $2,350,000

MPP will be able to tackle all of the projects in our 2008 strategic plan if you and other allies help us meet this challenge.​

[​IMG]

Donor Profile: John​

Thank you for supporting MPP's efforts to end marijuana prohibition. According to our records, you have never made a financial donation to MPP. Would you please join MPP today?
    (If you have contributed financially, please reply to this e-mail so we can correct our records. Please note that it may take up to a week for credit card donations to be reflected here -- and up to three weeks for donations made by mail.)​

If you make a one-time donation of $10 today, your ranking for this year would move from the bottom to 7,681.

2. just picked up that email too

hell yes

3. Hey Guys - EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS!!!!
    Go with out ONE dime bag, and help legalize this universally useful plant!!
    [​IMG]

4. Go MPP! Our dollars at work

5. Way to put it in perspective :):smoking:

6. interesting how the "dope smokers" money is actually producing results where as our tax dollars handled by our govt produce well....... jack shit almost lol. This gave me inspiration to donate more and sacrifice some bud money, i suggest everyone else does the same! remember these guys are working for US :hello: