Vibrations as body falls asleep

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheJourney, Dec 16, 2012.

1. #1 TheJourney, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
    I would like to know if anyone knew of an explanation to something I have experienced countless times, and absolutely know is 'real.' I just experienced it again, actually. I've experienced this so much because I am a very experienced lucid dreamer, and have also learned how to enter a dream without ever losing consciousness. You can especially do this after you have already got some sleep.

Anyways, as I start to drift asleep, but maintain awareness, my body begins to vibrate intensely. I want to emphasize how extremely intense this vibration is. It may also be accompanied by feelings that your body is being moved around. It is possible to control the movement and location of these vibrations, but it requires pretty extreme concentration and focus, which may be difficult due to the vibrations. When you use this state as an entry point into a dream, you will start to get images, and maybe sounds, and these will get more and more clear and vivid until you find yourself in a dream.

Anyways, when I first thought to ask this I was specifically wondering if there was any scientific knowledge of this phenomena. Nonetheless, I would also be interested in hearing 'spiritual' explanations. The two can be complementary. I know what first comes to my mind, is that these may be related to the vibrations described prior to astral projection/Out of Body Experiences. If there is no science on this yet, I am hopeful that experiments can be designed to determine what these vibrations are. Could turn out useful.

2. Do you believe your body is literally vibrating, or that this is a mental phenomena

3. I believe that it is related to the electrical activity of the nervous system. So it is literal/real/physical, but not technically the 'body'.

4. What made you determine the cause was "the electrical activity in your nervous system"?

5. Based on tge fact that the vibrations seem electrical, the nervous system is an electrical machine, and the vibrations can at times be shown to correlate with perceptions, which are produced by the nervous system.

6. What lead you to believe the vibrations seem electrical?

7. Lol. How am i supposed to describe that in words? You would have to feel it yourself, I guess.

8. So you're trying to reach a conclusion from (a) baseless premise/s... Brilliant :smoking:

Are you aware of any way that I can experience this phenomena for myself?

9. I cant remember where i read this but i think it could be a way of the mind trying to wake the body up.

As you haven't moved your body in so long (presuming your lying still) the mind is still awake and the body is drifting to sleep, and due to this not being a unitary process the mind will try and wake the body up through said vibrations. Don't know how accurate that info is but its food for thought

10. do you own a vibrator?

11. Sleep paralysis. It happens to me a lot.. Especially when I'm sleeping on my back(supine position). Sometimes it happens all throughout the night for hours. I love it.

12. #12 TheJourney, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    What are you talking about? I said what my theory was. Did you read OP? I was ASKING what it was...lol. I later gave my theory, after you asked.

13. Sure, you have to learn to maintain awareness as you fall asleep. Wake yourself up after a few hours of sleep. Then relax, allow yourself to fall asleep, but MAKE SURE you maintain awareness as you fall asleep. Focus on that, while still relaxing. Repeating a section of a song in your head can be useful.

14. Right, and I asked what you thought it was because I was interested in hearing what you thought it was. "So you're trying to reach a conclusion from (a) baseless premise/s... Brilliant " is a criticism of your "theory"

It's okay to just say "I don't know" if you have no good reason to conclude why X (sleep vibrations) is happening.

15. Have you taken into consideration that perhaps a part of your body fell asleep

16. #16 420neverforget, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    Asshole much?

0 tolerance for name calling
    make your point without doing so..
    _YODA

17. I'm just suggesting that instead of trying to feed someone bullshit he can just say "I don't know" :confused:

18. He's not feeding anyone bullshit.

In my attempts to lucid dream, or just falling asleep, I have felt these vibrations as well as many others.

19. :( I should have figured you were gonna strawman me

20. I should have figured you were gonna use a smiley to make me feel sad. :(

In all seriousness, you do seem like the type of douche to throw strawman out of no where when you have no point or contribution.