ViaSpectra 450w vs Mars Hydro sp 150, NVM lets talk about UV and IR

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by _Grendel_, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Hello everyone, new to the community.
    Joined the forums to do some research for my first setup. I plan to try some auto for my first batch.

I'm working with a space 6ft(L)x29in(D)x6ft(T), and I can't decide what to get to light it with.
    I'm debating on 2 Mars Hydro SP 150's, or 2 Viaspectra V450 450w.
    Not that I think they will help that much, but I also have 3 par38 36w plant bulbs, and 3 par38 3100k flood LED's, they were used to grow macro algae for the last few years. I figure adding them can fill in the gaps between the main fixtures, and add extra angles of light into the canopy.

To compare the lights
    The Mars Hydro is $140, and uses a mostly full spectrum (yellow) LEDS, with some red, ir and uv added in. Rated at 130w and 24in(L)x3in(w). Manufacturer suggest 2x2ft for flowering.

The ViaSpecrta V450 is on sale for $90, and looks like it uses mostly red/blue spectrum LEDS, with some yellow and ir mixed in. Rated at 200W and 16(L)x8(W). Manufacturer suggest 2x2ft area for flowering.

I'm leaning towards the Mars Hydro because it uses 70 watts less!, but I am worried because it is only 3in wide that it will have a hard time spreading out enough, and I would end up having to buy 2 more, to have a total of 4 to cover my area.

2. Gotta either buy good lights or shrink your space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The MarsHydro light looks like a decent light.
    There's a reason the other light is on sale: it's an outdated blurple that growers are shunning.
    Your space has a floor area of 14 sq ft, and at 30 watts per sq ft, you'd need around 400 true watts.
    Three of the Mars lights might be needed unless you have enough existing lighting that adds up to about 120 watts.

4. Well I don't mind spending extra to get something that I won't need to replace later... If the choices I listed aren't that great,
    What are some of the 'best' LED brands to look at?

I see Horticulture lighting group mentioned alot on the forums, looking at their options now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horticulture Lighting Group is milking their recent success with higher prices.
    You can get some of what they offer much cheaper from NiemiLED.
    A lot of people are saving even more, and buying chinese made LEDs, that are supposed to be excellent.
    Pre-assemabled Hlg 550 V2 480w Quantum Board Lm301b 3500k 660nm Led Grow Light Kit - Buy Hlg 550 V2,Quantum Board,Hlg 550 V2 Led Grow Light Product on Alibaba.com

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not very knowledgeable about chinese lights, but people have claimed that the Kingbrite brand from alibaba is good.

The link above came from one of those people, and I expect that there are many different power choices available.

7. Crap, I wish I could have seen their prices before they started gouging.

The light you listed would be awesome, if only it made for more of a rectangular area.

8. You could spend 400-450shipped for a decent setup. Grab a couple 240w and youll be able to configure to your space just fine. For the price of 2viparspectra plus tax not much different were talking 20-25 dollars.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am running 2 of these lights with the deep reds in a 4x4 - 16sqft. Cost me $420 shipped to Ont

10. The samsung 240?

11. Yessir

12. Anywhere in the US that ships these? I like some of the lights on the Alibaba site, but they are all coming from china and have $50+ shipping.

13. The shipping might be outrageous, but the underlying prices are fantastic.
    Those chinese lights are about the cheapest source for good lights, and NiemiLED might be one of the cheaper US LED light makers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wouldnt doubt it but youll be paying the shipping cost for the company to import them and the markup for their profit anyways. A guy about an hr from me is selling 240w lights no 660reds for $369+tax each. Dont think you going to find these boards for cheaper unless you maybe diy them?

15. Here's a better, cheaper, more powerful light. It requires no DIY.
    260w RSPEC DEEP-RED Dimmable Niemi LED Grow Light Powered With Samsung LM301B & OSRAM 660NM Diodes - Niemi LED

The chinese light are cheaper, even when shipping cost is included.

16. Like others have stated, even after shipping the cost you get from Alibaba vendors should be substantially lower. I ordered two of these types before for about $320, and am about to get two more. Kingbrite 2019 Hot Sale Samsung Lm301h With Red 660 Qb288 V3 Quantum Board Led Grow Light With Potentiometer - Buy Samsung Lm301h,Lm30h,Lm301h Qb288 Product on Alibaba.com

• Like Like x 1
  17. I use Raymatix but they might be a little higher than your budget. Out of those two I'd go Mars

18. Is it ok to run these with no heatsink?