very very confused with my flowering plants....

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cannabislover, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I have a few very serious concerns about my plants. I guess I'll start by saying that I dont know technically how long they have been flowering because I dont know if I'm supposed to be counting from when they first start budding or just when I first moved them to 12/12.
    From the day I switched them to 12/12 they're going on 13 weeks, and this is a problem becuase they appear seriously underdeveloped bud & THC wise, they look "airy" i guess you could say. Another concern is that they are not smelling, I was under the impression that flowering plants were supposed to reak of dankness.?!

Attached Files:

2. also I forgot to mention that the picture quality is obviously terrible but if you look closely you can kinda see what Im talking aboot regarding the "airyness".

3. turn some of your lights off, then take the picture. you cant really see anything in those man...

use a flash if you need to, or fluoro lighting. nothing intense for the camera ;)

4. Yeah I took some good pictures with my friends digital camera, but she keeps forgetting the cord, but I will upload them soon. can you tell me anything based off of my description?

5. honestly, it could be a lot of things.

do you know what strain it is? because at 13 weeks from flip, you cant be less than 10 weeks into full flower...even sativa hybrids should be nearing the end.

SO, either youve got a pure sativa thats going to take months to flower, or you have a problem. The sativa would have more of an airy bud, even when done, thats why i mention it.

could also be temps. If its too hot, the buds wont be dense.

could be nutrients...maybe too much nitrogen?

really kinda hard to say at this point...

6. are all the pistils white? i'd check nutrients to make sure it's getting what it needs, make sure you aren't feeding it a bunch of nitrogen and not enough potassium and phosphorous. keep looking at trichomes under a microscope to see if it is really developing.

7. I don't think its the temps, my room can get over 85 and a little over 90 but my buds are very dense right now. Density is caused by the lights.

OP What type of light do you use? If theyre airy buds and not dense, thats caused by insufficient lighting.

8. I was using the foxfarm trio but then it all ran out so I stopped using it because I figured I was going to be done shortly. Ive just been watering with distilled water only.

My temps have been staying in the 70's and the humidity is always around 30%

Im using a 600 watt HPS for lighting

and my strains are K-2, Shiva, and Hindu Kush. I thought these were all indica so you can see why im confused.

and regarding the pistills some are turning red already.

and am I supposed to be able to see the THC with the naked eye? or do I need a scope?

9. 85-90 isnt what I was talking about lol. But its irrelevant, cause dude has temps under control

but, if you want to find out what Im talking about, bust your temps up to 100 or so w/ no co2. buds will be nice and airy ;)

------

OP, man it sounds like its gotta be nute related, but those pics are worth a thousand words

10. OK so bottom line are my plants going to be smokable?! its really bugging me that its taking so long.

and can someone explaine the no smell and no noticable THC growth?

11. ok I just looked at them and if they r at 10 weeks and they go for 12 weeks can I expect alot of growth?

And would it be beneficial to trim the bottom branches that are not producing?

12. I'll try.

Something shocked your plants between week 3-5 and stopped their growth. Once this happens in flowering, they are jacked. I had it happen on my last two grows and I've never figured out how to make plants recover except last time I had one recover but it still sucked and made no good buds in the end comparatively.

My problem was a bug infestation. Root aphids eating my roots. Solved that however.

Another problem I had was I was feeding my plants a mix I thought was ok, but it sucked. I now use Carboload and Big Bud and have AWESOME results. Also Dutch Masters superbud (a MUST have, IMHO).

This is a trial and error thing.

By the way, I give 7 weeks of nutrients and one week of water and CHOP CHOP on day 56 of 12/12 cycle. 56 days is all she needs, IMHO.

My girls smell VERY nicely and pungent now, whereas my last grow was not as much (although semi stinky).

13. I can't think of anything that could have stunted the growth... Except for one occasion when the light didn't turn on because my timer stopped working for 1-2 days. Could that be the reason?

And are u so sure that they are "jacked" that I should go kill them when I get home?

14. Don't kill them. Hell, you've lasted 13 weeks. What's another two weeks? Extra darkness during the flowering cycle isn't known to delay bud ripeness... some would even argue that it enhances it. What does cause that is light interruption during your dark cycle. If there is any kind of light getting through when it's supposed to be dark, then your plants may become confused and temporarily think that they are supposed to be back in veg. This delays bud growth and ripening times.

If you are positive that you have your temps right, and your dark cycle hasn't been interrupted, and you don't have full sativa strains, then you should think about where you got the seeds from and buy from somewhere else next time. I have personally bought cheap seeds before from companies such as Nirvana and Cash Crop Ken that turned out to be complete crap. I would grow the strains next to other strains bought from good companies, and despite having the same growing environment, the plants just didn't develop the bud and crystal production that they should have.

A good test is to go rub your leaves. Does it smell dank when you do that? Are there crystals on top of your fan leaves that are near the buds? Are your hairs turning brown, and if they are, have you checked the trichromes with a 30x microscope? It's hard to help when I can't make anything out from the pictures that you posted.

15. there are no crystals on the fan leaves, and I can kind of see crystals on one of the plants, and yes some of the hairs are turning brown.

Im going to put some good pics up soon. my friend never remembers to bring the damn cord I need to upload the pics.

16. Also would it help if I trimmed all of the very bottom branches off? they just seem to be in the way.

17. Trim off any branches that don't receive good light. Try to have an even canopy.

18. I just trimmed all of the bad stemage off of the bottom of my plants, my hands feel sticky and I think they are actually starting to develop:) I wish I knew why it was so late but whatever.

19. #19 TrichsR4Kids, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    Experience has shown me that your light could be too far from the canopy or insufficient air exchange or both. Running out of nutes didn't help either.

At this point in the game it doesnt really matter exactly what week they're in. The trich color will determine that for you. Generally speaking of course.