Very nice LED grow lights - Kessil H150 series.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StinkBomb, Oct 5, 2010.

1. They seem to be working pretty good for me but they are a new technology and it seems pretty soon they will be right up there with the hps look it up many people have done comparison grows and the leds out performed the hps but when i flower i am planing on using both hps and led

2. LEDs can surpass HID, if done right. The kessil's are just a poor use of the technology, for growing at least. Two simple reasons you don't want a spot light... first, the small light foot print isn't going to cover very much and if you raise it up, because light follows the inverse square rule, you lose intensity... The second reason is that when you bunch up LEDs, you have more heat issues - not heat like your grow room gets too hot, but that the LED dies (dies are the actual part that makes the light) can get too hot and degrade resulting less light emitted.

That being said, there are other reasons I would stay away from Kessil lights. They don't really give you any specs except for the wattage, and even that isn't specific... are they just LED watts or total watts? If these lights are so scientifically designed, where are the specs??? Sounds fishy...

And with that said, if anyone wants to use Kessil lights, more power to you... Whatever works for you, go for it! But you know, don't brag about how awesome they are...

-Loki

3. im not trying to brag at all i am very knew to this and am just trying to learn as much as possible and im just tlkin in my experience they are working great and i cant complain theres never any neutral reviews ppl either hate them or they love them

4. #64 TBM, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
    Can't say it any better. Kudos to someone who understands.

If anyone wants to use LED, they better read up on light terms (PPF, PPFD, efficacy, flux, etc.) and how plants react to different light. After a month or so of eye bleeding reading you might be able to understand why these lights just won't cut it as a sole light source.

I'm not bashing them as a supplemental light, but I do bash the outlandish price for what seems to be like a shitty grow light in general even as a supplemental light. I believe they will increase resin and THC a bit if used in conjunction with an HID light, but how much? and is it worth is for the cost? You don't pack 35 Watts into that tight of a space plus throw a lens on it to direct it into more of a narrow beam. PLANTS LIKE DIFFUSED LIGHT. Do some reading on light and plants please, you will be glad.

5. Hey icygod24 since these lights are, more or less, your main source of lighting can you open up a new thread and give us weekly updates? I don't think it's a love hate thing with these lights but no-one on this site is growing with just these lights. I would be super interested in seeing how your plants turn out. Especially since you are growing 10 plants under 2 of these units.:eek: If you produce a good amount of ganja then you will have just proved these lights are legit. Are you planning on adding more lights? Are you in veg or flowering?

6. #66 smartgrass, Feb 10, 2011
    Hm, lots of mis-information on here. well i use the light and have a good understanding of them.

- first they run at 36W but produce 150w of light equivalent.
    - second lumens is for white light these are not, so no lumen conversion only equivalent.
    - third try reading. Young or old, try going to the website and READING, i know its a foreign concept to the youngest people but it really works. try the RESOURCES TAB, i bet you find something interesting and useful.

Sorry but only 3 free tips, i charge after that... good luck pupils. the teacher is out.

PS. chlorophyll doesn't care where the light comes from only that a photon is required for the rxn to proceed forward. diffuse light just provide an even distribution but the side effect is wasted light. choices people choices...

7. #67 TBM, Feb 10, 2011

What are you talking about? There is no data given. Looks like they pack 35 Watts of power into one LED chip with multiple wafers. How is this efficient? Tell me, I'm waiting to hear an answer.

You have no clue obviously. I'm not even going to go any further with this topic. I can see why Loki is a dick, no one listens yet think they know everything from reading a manufacturers web site that has ZERO good datasheets. We don't even know what the LED chip they use is or who makes it. So tell me again why this light is a 150W HID equivalent? Because they said so? Please, get real bud.

All I am saying is growing SOLELY with these Kessils is a waste of money because its such a small package and footprint. They compensate by putting a lense on it, which reduces photon output btw, and then say "Raise it up higher for a bigger footprint". Sorry, this light isn't worth it IMO. If you wanna grow with it as a sole light source go for it. I would be intrigued by the results. IF they ever get posted. Doubtful since the buds will be airy due to lack of proper PPFD and efficacy. 10 plants under 2 of those? Haha, you better have some HID or CFL also.

8. Try reading, huh? I looked at the resources tab and there's nothing useful there. 36 watts doesn't tell you anything because LEDs don't have a standard lux or PAR value. 36 watts of shitty LEDs won't produce nearly the light of 36 watts of Xbrite Crees...

You must be a substitute teacher... Maybe instead of teaching, you should just put a film on...

-Loki

9. I never planned on using these lights as a sole lighting source. They were intended for usage to supplement my 6,000 W 11x11 room and my 12,000 W 17x23 room.

I don't plan on using them in the big flowering room, the third one.

10. i have a grow joiurnal but since no one is following i havnt put any pics but the most recent ones r up http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/730749-my-first-grow-g13-super-silver-haze.html
    im in veg right now but wen i get to flowering i have a 150w hps which im going to add to the leds and take away the cfls i will post more info sooner now that u r following it

p.s. i am a noob and i messed up in the begging so dont judge wen u read the journal hahaha

11. Hey Loki, thought you'd be right, but the sheer intensity of these kessils is amazing. They bleed through skin easy and if many are used, it blows up the room with intense light. Prop215 compliant. A friend harvested 2ozs dry from the magenta model. There was some hps lighting in the room, but so far away from the hid light, you could not say the kessil would have harvested anything below 1.5-1.75 ozs standalone. LEDs create superior buds compared to hps, way crazier resin production due to ultra deep reds in comparison to hps. Thought I'd share.

12. I knew Loki7 was wrong a long time ago. I'm not an LED expert by any means. But neither is Loki7. I actually experiment with products before I praise or talk shit about them. Loki7 just talks shit and builds soda cans with christmas lights in the lid.

13. StinkButt doesn't know shit... Anyone who spends a grand on supplemental lights has got to have a few screws loose...

You don't need to be an expert to know that a single point of light is not going to be as effective as multiple points of light. It's just that simple.

Stinky is just a whiney little girl who cries like a baby when someone doesn't like his lights... I don't give a shit what lights people use, but if you brag about spending that kind of money on supplemental lights, I'm going to have to point out that you are a fucking mental patient...

-Loki

14. hmm, this is definitely an interesting thread. lots of hate though.. not sure what thats about. As far as bottom line efficiency goes, i dunno, i haven't run any numbers, and these real high power LEDs haven't been around for so long, so its hard to quote longevity, as well as overall efficiency. However, these units, while they may emit more light watt per watt, still probably won't pay off in the end as far as efficiency over their lifetime vs a comparable light source.

LEDengin are the only people i know of that make LEDs(single emitters) and sell them to the public in the 660 range, and they definitely make quality. and on that, their 5w units are most efficient over the 3w variation.

Flux/par/lumens/etc are basically useless for determining LED real world worth, but, i will agree with Loki7, they are useful for giving a base as to their quality vs other LEDs.

I have! seen all LED grows and they do amazingly. It was years ago, and the best example is no longer available, was on another forum, to which has been overhauled is the thread no longer exists. 3 100w Procyons, with 4 plants, they were amazing, truly. Being i have no like this ends up being mostly hearsay, and i don't remember specific numbers, but it was definitely well worth it(and i saw it). Also, not cannabis, but the same LEDs(procyon) have been tested against a HID and they outperformed them. As well, there are a good amount of all LED grows at ICmag, on a smaller scale in a cabinet, but results are very good. hydrogrowled, they make proven units, and there are three other manufactures that slip my mind right now that also produce quality units.

indeed, choices, variables for whatever grow conditions.

yep, this pretty much nailed it here, however, if i'm following you, you are saying driving them at 1/2 their rate is beneficial because of heat? well, as far as that goes, just a little math to figure out surface area for heat dissipation, add fans and you are golden. However, pulsing and overdriving the LEDs would be ideal. could potentially even extent life.(i'm saying pulse so fast our eyes can't even notice)

now, back to these units, its very weird to me about the top colas, i'd like to think this is because they are so far away from the canopy, judging from the pictures, the lights are VERY intense, and, being they are 36w emitters, i would think so. only ever used 1wers and those are pretty intense. So, these like most LED grow units, you'd really have to do some number crunching to figure out if its worth it. Considering a quality 50w unit can be had for $70-100, i'm not so sure on these yet, but, they look very promising, and in years to come, units like this will be very cool indeed.

Ether way, thank you for posting this thread, still interesting ether way, and price aside, i'm sure these units do quite well.

(i know, real long winded.)

15. I haven't tried the Kessil LEDs but I have many grows worth of experience using Advanced LED's Extreme Flower models. The only issue I have with the Kessil lights is the high $/w price. The Extreme Flower models I have are about $3/w and grow extremely well and are comparable to my HIDs, but the Kessils are $10/w based on the $350 my local grow shop sells them for. Advanced also has a 15w LED spotlight with clustered LEDs (haven't tried it either) and they sell for $79 each. It all comes down to $/actual watt with LEDs IMO.

16. These lights are only $200 all over the internet. $350 is a the number I gave as the retail price in the store I used to work at. They don't carry these lights any more unless by special order. Nobody was willing to try them.

17. loki your a prick officially.

in my opinion this guy said like 2-3 things the wrong way.

Who cares?

you've been here long enough to know that acting like this for long enough is only going to get your self banned.

ill continue reporting your aggressive posts and of course all your insults.

i know it takes alot for you to not post a reply, but how about it?

i bet you cant.

i bet you will post a reply.

these lights are actually very good.

yea its not alot of light, but if you had two of these its enough light for a personal grow with barely any ventilation.

i plan on buying two for my veg cabinet.

18. HIGH All, Just Popping in to Say it's Time To Relax or this Thread Will Be Closed and infractions Handed out!!!

19. 1. kessil led's are legit. Kessil is a subsidiary of DiCon fiber optics. They create a variety of lighting products. The 5 years of research doesn't have to come from the 2 years that kessil has been around.

2. the 36w will blow any POS chinese UFO out of the water. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's also not 350 bucks, it's about 200 from any decent online store.

3. the kessil h350 is 90w and $365 from greners....not 350 for 36w I'm going to be picking one up soon. I currently have a 400w mh/hps setup, maybe i'll compare one to the other and see how it performs. I have little doubt it will perform excellently.

20. Despite Loki's insistence that I pimp these lights, my goal was simply to report my experience with a light that most had never even seen at the time. That said, I must report that one of my four lights has partially failed. One of the Magenta H150 partially burnt out. It now only emits red light, like a pure bloom booster. I'm sure the store will replace it, but haven't had a chance to get to town.

And while the pepper plants at the shop did flower, they did so very strangely compared to the plants under T5 and HID. There were far more fruit sites on the Kessil plan... Like ten times more, but they developed into strange, very small, deformed peppers.

When they contacted Kessil about what was going on, they got some serious bullshit answers. Bullshit enough to prevent me from purchasing anymore or the new H350.