Very nice LED grow lights - Kessil H150 series.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StinkBomb, Oct 5, 2010.

1. #21 SWEDx10, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011

Yes please pictureize us

2. i can grow with a couple of 23watts cfl and get okay results with lowryder. probably with regular plants too
    so why do u think a 36watts high intensity led wont work.

3. Hey! Sorry I probably came off a bit harsh there. Sure, it could probably grow a small auto reasonably well but it's still 36W for $350 which is ridiculous.

You have 46W of CFLs which probably cost you around $2... I'd be surprised if that 36W LED got much better results (although I dont know for sure) but considering the price? It's 175 times more expensive than your lighting setup. I got no problem with CFLs, I like 'em.

4. Seems like you are talking with out knowing. Not a good way to earn rep.

5. Firstly, I'm not here to earn rep. Sometimes the truth doesn't get you rep.

Secondly, I know that the sun has an average radiation flux on the Earth's surface of ~1000Wm^-2 and that this $350 LED has a radiation flux of 25.71Wm^-2.

I also know that it doesn't matter how good the light spectrum is that this LED emits, it still only has a maximum power output of 25.71Wm^-2. And power, when all is said and done, is all a plant cares about.

Edit- And so I can say without ever having seen this product that it is not worth $350. Will it grow a plant? Almost certainly.

6. not really, there are some cheap LED's out there that don't do well at all....

7. #27 StinkBomb, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
    Sorry it took so long. I've had a lot of work to do lately. Maybe I'll put some pics of that up later.

My LED lights kick on a few minutes before the HID lights. I only have three lights shown in these pics; two magenta H150 and one pure red bloom booster H150. These are not the wide angle lenses now offered for more even coverage.

I don't know anything about photography. I have a Cannon 7D. I just turned the flash off to take these pics.

Super Lemon Haze under the Red Bloom Booster:

[​IMG]

Room with two Magenta H150 in the rear and one Red H150 in the foreground.

I've looked around and you can find these lights for $200 all over the internet.

[​IMG]

Room with LED lights on and six thousand watts of 3K Sun Pulse bulbs. Pretty much can't tell they are on when the HIDs kick on. But the plants seem to have a definite response.

[​IMG]

I'm definitely running them in the new room. If you think that is a waste of money, I don't care. It is my money, and I'll spend it as I see fit.

I know the room looks pretty empty at the moment. I've just finished with harvesting most of the plants that were in there. A few stragglers are taking their sweet time to finish. Then the new class enters the room.

8. those look nuts dude.

Way bigger than i thought lol

are you going to use them for veg?

with no extra light?

id do an experiment with them in a veg box or something.

they look sick

9. The lights are about the size of a beer can. They have a fan built right in, and they are silent. You have to stick you ear up to it to tell if it is running. I do have a blue one, and I've used it over my ez cloner. It produced roots faster than normal, but that could have been due to a number of parameters.

Here is the blue one being shined on some Dr. Grinspoon that is just starting to flower. The other three LED lights were on in the room, so it isn't the purest photo of the blue colored light it puts out, but here is the best I have at the moment. I was just holding the light in my hand and shooting the photo with the other hand. I was probably standing five feet from the plants. The lights in that are hung are hanging about 5'8" off the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. #30 StinkBomb, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011

What is way bigger than you thought?

They recommend using the Purple and/or Blue lights for veg. I have not used them for vegetative growth other than the cloner I mentioned, but we grew a few plants where I worked. We only had the Purple, as the blue had not been released when I worked there. We did some basil, tomatoes, and some other shit, and it all did well. Especially the basil.

I have used them as the sole source of light for flowering marijuana. I have photos I'll upload later if you want to see. When I started this thread, I set up two H150 Magenta lights in a DR 120W in which I planned to flower two Spoetnik plants. I had a number of clones off the same mother plant, and all had grown uniformly during vegetative growth. When I started the LED flowering experiment, I placed the rest of the plants into the 11X11 flowering room with six 1000W 3K Sun Pulse MH bulbs, all on independent movers, and CO2 enrichment to 1500 PPM.

It was amazing at first. The plants in the small LED tent were actually flowering at almost the same rate as the plant in the big room. Then, as the top colas developed we started to notice that the plants under the LED lights were only developing top colas. The lateral growth, and lower growth in general was falling way behind the plants in the HID room.

So, I ended the experiment and placed the plants in the LED room into the HID room and added the LED lights as supplemental lighting. I had proven that the LED could indeed produce flowers, but the penetration was going to be an issue. I would end up with a 30 inch tall plant with a nice few top colas, and nothing below. It was happening in front of my eyes. I would have needed more lights to get good development below the canopy. If you look at any of the videos of their test tents, they are running quite a few lights. So, I decided to just salvage the plants and get as much as I could out of them.

If I would have been growing small plants, like 12-16 inchers in a SOG style grow, I could produce nice buds with these as the sole light source.

I prefer to use them as supplemental lighting, and I'm very happy with my purchases. I look foreword to getting the new wide angle units for my new, larger flowering room.

I do not work for the store anymore. I never even sold one when I did work there. We were just getting them in when I had a terrible attack of cluster headaches. The attacks lasted for weeks, and I was unable to work. That is why I stopped working there. When the attacks passed (they come randomly), I had gotten my gardening going to the point where I couldn't go back to work and be a caregiver. I chose to stay with my garden.

I am in no way affiliated with Kessil. I am just a satisfied customer.

Finally, they are pretty sick IMO. They have a new light coming out this spring called the Spectral Halo. I'll be buying and trying them as soon as I can get my hands on them.

http://www.kessil.com/products/halo_led_grow_light.php

11. What fucking shit lights...

"The H150W is a slightly modified iteration of the H150 model. Built with the same Dense Matrix LED™ technology, the H150W incorporates a larger angle reflector, which allows the source to smoothly spread light over a wider area. "

They are sooo proud of their "Dense Matrix LED™ technology", but use a wide angle lens... to spread out all that light that they spent so much trouble trying to pack into a tiny space... If you buy lights from these people, you probably deserve to be ripped off...

-Loki

12. It really is hard to believe you are over 40 years of age.

13. I find it hard to believe you don't work for kessel... Pimping your over priced LED shit... just a satisfied customer, huh? Fuck off... and take your shit lights with you...

-Loki

14. StinkBomb you have a very nice grow room. I understand the fact you are using these as supplemental lights but have you tried to use them as the primary light source? I think that's what everyone in this thread would be more interested in. The main issue with LED technology is the light penetration which, to your admittance, would not be powerful enough so you put them under 6K worth of HID lighting. I have no doubt that these light help your grows but they are a very expensive LED solution for supplemental lighting. These lights are starting to go down in price which is obviously a good thing. But until these units are $120-$150 I will not thing they are worth it. How much grams/watt do you think you could get out of these light? 1oz from one light would be my guess.

How many plants were in the tent before you put them under the HID's?

Finally, IMO, I would stay away from the Spectral Halo series unless they up the wattage of these units. You will have a bigger footprint but the higher the led angle the less intense the lights will be. Especially at the height you have them at. Keep up the good work. :)

15. You're right Loki. PM me and I will sell you any Kessil product at cost. Just send me your credit card number and mailing address.

Again, I'll buy what I like. It isn't like I can't afford this shit.

But yeah, I totally still sell these lights and a bunch of other shit. I give anyone cost. Well, anyone but Loki.

16. #36 Loki7, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    You are a dim bulb, aren't you? I thought I was pretty clear about my feelings for your lights, no?

Of course, anyone who has a grand worth of 'supplemental' lights has got to be one dumb mother fucker... and you are... and you even brag about it....

-Loki

17. yo stink bomb im very interested in the dr.grinspoon strain. could you please do a journal
    or at least post harvest pic and send me a pm with link plz.ty very much

18. Yes Loki, I'm dumb. But I'm fucking rich. Really fucking rich. I have way more than a grand worth of supplemental lighting as well. Being rich and dumb ain't half bad.

19. Hopefully this doesn't re-post the pic again. I don't really have the time or desire to do a journal, but I'll be happy to shoot photos of the girls anytime you holler at me.

20. Well, I guess it'd only be a grand of supplemental lighting if you'd actually bought them. Don't get me wrong, I think you're dumb enough to spend as much or more on "supplemental" lighting as regular lighting...

You've said in other threads that you're not here to learn anything and now you say you're not interested in doing a journal... The only thing you seem to feel like doing is pimping these lights and you seem to take any criticism of them personally.... I wonder why that is?

Either way, those lights are shit. What fucking idiot came up with dense matrix technology with a wide angle lens? Anyone with half a brain (except Stinky, I guess) knows that light follows the inverse square rule and that a panel of the same LEDs will distribute light better than from a single point...

-Loki