Very First Grow- Need Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ThatOneBro, Jan 16, 2013.

1. So this will be my very first grow. I'm not really trying to get an amazing, multi-budded plant just yet. To start- If i can get 1 smokable bud, I will be content. I have two seeds that are viable for planting (i've made sure, brown with black stripes/markings) and a fairly small area to plant them in.
    (This is what it looks like)
    imgur: the simple image sharer

It's in my basement, where literally nobody has been in close to two years, and it's in a closet which nobody touches. The space is about 1.5 ft deep, 2.5 ft tall, and 1.5-2 ft wide.

Also, there's a hole at the back so i could make sure the cords are stealthily tucked away at the back of the cabinet.

(a closer look)

I'm really new to growing- but I was thinking of using the SOG method, without the whole 'sea' aspect. I really want to focus on maintaining a small, discreet plant, and forcing it to flower early. I don't know if I would need ventilation (I can easily get access to PC fans, so that shouldn't be a problem, but what about a filter?), and lighting would be fairly simple as i have lamps that i can throw a CFL bulb in (getting one is a different story). My dad used to grow just regular herbs indoors as well, so he has a 24 hour timer which I could use once the plant was in the vegetative state and put it into 12/12. I think I would plant it in a small-ish pot that would hopefully be suitable for its whole life but still able to fit in there. Would that work? What type of soil/nutrients would I need to give it? Does it even NEED nutrients? (I know that may be a stupid question). How often would I have to water it? And mainly, What do I have to do in order to keep it small? I know I could clip off the lower stems and force it to put all the nutrients into the top bud but I don't know how well that would be for a first grow. Keep in mind I want this to be discreet and as low budget/time/effort as it needs to be (I know growing isn't any of that, but I'm sure you get the point as I am a student as well). I'm not looking to make a profit out of this so I'm not bothered if I fuck up, it's mainly experimental.

This is how I have planned it out so far:

1) Germinate seeds
    2) plant seeds
    3) give light until vegetative state
    4) start 12/12 cycle
    5) harvest

I feel like I have something missing no matter how much I've read up on this... And please go easy on me... I really don't know too much about this. Thanks.

Also, I can post pictures of anything else, need be.

2. train your plants, Look into LST or SCROG that way you can train your plants and keep the canopy at an even height.

3. I'd use t-5 or led if you need stealth, hid's run best with air cooled hoods and multiple fans, can get loud but will double your yield.

Use a screen to train your plants low, like this ...you can use the screen and twine to pull branches in any direction including vertically, making it stupid easy to keep them short. With this method, you'd be good with a small hps in there, but it might not be as stealthy.

4. #4 Joker11211952, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Yes you need ventilation, intake as well as exhaust.  Intake at the bottom of the cabinet, exhaust at the top.  The size of the pot will limit the size of the plant.  Not much soil = small plant.  The soil and nutrients will be up to you.  Many soils come with fertilizer added in already- I have two plants in Miracle Grow which I feed Miracle Grow ferts every watering.  This is not a recommended soil, though.  It may be all you can afford.  Water when the soil is dry.  Feel the weight of the pot- it will be light when it needs water.  It's easy to overwater. I use a moisture meter and water far less than I would without it.  The nutes depend on the soil.  Tell whoever you buy the soil from that you're growing tomatoes.  If you want only one single cola flower at 6-8 weeks.  If you want bigger yield you can top the plant, which means removing the apical meristem- the newest bit of growth at the top of the plant.  .  That will make it bushy instead of taller.  Use the idea others have given you on training. Filter depends on how smelly it gets. Good luck.
    More light= more flowers, so don't skimp on the lights.