Very First cfl Grow Log

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by SnowCappedHills, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys guess what? There is a huge possibility I can get some pictures today... Also I named one of them. Blue is now called Midnight Maiden, so Green is the only unnamed one at this point.

Plus I am almost done with my outdoor set up and went by the grow shop the other day and picked up the big ass bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I was gonna get fertilizer but I didn't have enough money.

So ya and I am going to post a thread about this question but I will ask here too... How should I go about transferring them outside? Whenever I put them out for just an half hour to an hour LNF Blaze always starts drooping the very top part, and not like a little bit but it actually becomes limp and just flopped over and I am not sure why, but when I put it back inside the top always goes back up after a little bit. I just don't know if its normal, or if they can lose the top part if I leave it out there, I just am not sure. Thanks for any suggestions guys!

2. Yes! Pics! Ocean Forest is good stuff, it should have enough food in it for a little while so don't worry about that. I don't know much about transplanting outside, but I've read that sometimes the change in light can be stressful, temperature too. This is a total guess but I'd think that eventually they'll get accustomed to it and once the stress wears off, they'll be fine. Better get more opinions on that though.

3. #103 SnowCappedHills, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    Pictures anyone?

These where taken this morning... Its as current as current can be.

Attached Files:

4. Hooray! They do look a little stretched though, which might have something to do with toppling over under the stress of such a drastic light change. But i'd think that in the end, they'll be fine.

5. I would have to agree... the two sisters kinda curve toward the light and I am pretty sure its cause I don't have enough in there but I don't have any more light fixtures... well... not the same cords I might actually have one but then I would be lacking a wall outlet to plug it in, plus I am throwing them outside soon anyway... To try and keep them from going to far to the side I slightly twist the pot around a little now and then, I think it helps but what do I know? I should probably stick some little pieces of wire in there to give it support.

So green I am still thinking of names... One that keeps popping to mind is Green Monster but I am still not to sure about that one. I mean both Midnight Maiden and LNF Blaze when I first thought of the name I knew right away that was the one... This one however I just don't think its the right one.

Today I got a lot done, I hiked out to the outdoor site this morning and put up the last side of the fence. The wire I used was not even half a foot to short so I plan to wire it the rest of the way, I mean it doesn't have to hold much weight it just has to stand up and keep animals like deer and bears out. Since the wire is short I plan to do some real red neck shit I must admit to make the fence taller but since its hard to explain I will just post a pic later when its done. I also was able to figure out how to work an ancient ass drill by myself and drill lots of drainage holes in my three 5 gallon pots. I had tried pounding a hole through but the plastic was way to thick, but when I used the drill it was literally like going through butter I was shocked.

All three spent some time in the sun today, I put them in partial shade but the sun moved and after a little bit the tops of the two girls flopped over like usual so I brought them in and left green by itself (still not sexed) out there for another hour and it did just fine in direct sun light. I think the fact that it is a whole foot shorter and a different type of strain than the other two is what affects this. Anyway that's the update...

6. From what I read it's just stress from the change from low level cfl lighting to the sun. It sounds risky but I think the best thing to do is let them go outside and get used to the light and conditions and they should be fine. They'll droop and look sad to begin with but they should recover and learn to prefer the sun.

7. Whats up friend;; how the ladies looking?
    Did you ever get them moved outside to a final spot!?

8. What up 2Bugs and Kamel!

So I havn't been doing much in aspects of the plants, just letting them grow until I get them outside. The outdoor site is 100% done and is able to contain the plants right now, it might need updating in that I will have to make the fence taller later on as they grow bigger but other than that (and the obvious presence of cougars that worries me slightly) its done. Whats even better is that its only about a five minute walk from my house. But not an easy one so I am not worried. If someone wants to get back there they need to go through big ditches, thick undergrowth, fallen trees, and just a bunch of shit. Plus there is no sign of people back there before me, like broken branches, paths, trash. None, its pretty isolated which is why the big kitties like it so much I assume. To be safe of them I bring at least one of my dogs with me each time I go up there and make sure they scent mark the area as well as me (haha really). Plus I leave loose hair behind and am also collecting hair to bring up there in the future. I heard all of this helps deter the lions...

Also I been trying to get them outside whenever I can... although not daily.. But as long as they are in partial shade they never droop. I think the most I had them out at once was three and a half hours and even that long they where all fine. So I think they will make it outside!

Last week I picked up some fertilizer for them! No its not the 22 dollar fox farm bottles but I got Miracle Grow All Purpose and have been giving them only a very little bit. They seem to do fine with it, and may be growing even more, not sure though. I am being super careful not to over feed also.

Okay pictures guys. First we got them outside. I tried to blend them into our yard a bit so family doesn't see cause its not the actual outdoor site. Then I got the three 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in. And then a picture of the fertilizer.

Attached Files:

9. Thats really looking good. Good to hear you got a good spot. Shit;; be careful with them big ass cats. Liitle ones are bad enough

10. Nice, they look ready to go! Sounds like you got the place pretty secured too, not that I know anything about wildlife. You're gonna wanna watch them rather carefully with that Miracle Gro. It doesn't have a bad reputation around here for nothing, though it can be used successfully. My biggest concern is it doesn't seem to have any magnesium in it, so you might wanna pick up some epsom salts too. Good luck up in those hills, I hear it's gonna be cold today!

11. Thanks guys I really hope my spot works out. Was gonna head up there today just to make sure everything is holding up but I didn't get to it.

I actually didn't know miracle gro had a bad rep, but I knew it has been used successfully. I really only give them a pinch of it each time but I might even cut back to every other watering just to be even safer. I also might be able to get some epsom salt but we will have to see. For now they seem alright... It was defiantly a little chilly up here that's for sure. The three of them didn't really appreciate me putting them outside earlier so I had to bring them back in after about two hours.

Whats more is that those fuckers are getting huge. LNF Blaze reaches all the way up to my hip and measures two and a half feet. Midnight Maiden is just a few inches behind still and Green remains at about half the size of the other two. I am still thinking of names for Green so hopefully I will come up with one soon. Oh and by the way upon close inspection of that one today I was able to see the tiny clear hairs which makes Green my third girl!!! I am pretty excited I won't have to deal with boys my first time 'round. Lets hope no one turns hermi on me!

12. Hey guys so yesterday I put Midnight Maiden in her new pot! I am taking her to the outdoor site today, she did however spend the night outside last night. This morning she looked perfectly fine and it never got that cold last night. It was defiantly an experience getting her out... I hope I did alright... So far she seems good.

So I'm hiking her to her new home this morning and If I can I will probably put someone else in their new pot and maybe get them out there too.

The process has defiantly begun! Gonna get theses babies outside finally!

13. Good! It's definitely time, they're too tall for CFL's at this point. They're way better off under the sun, especially at higher altitudes due to the higher levels of UV. It's one of the theories behind THC, because increased levels of UV seem to lead to increased THC production. So...get ready!

14. So Midnight Maiden has been doing great outside! Looking good and I had her in the partial shade when I put her out there so she can get use to it, but when I went to water her today she had started to move toward the sun so I put her out in the light a little more.

Yesterday I transferred LNF Blaze to the big container and it went a lot smoother than the first time. She stayed the night outside my window and this morning I hauled her out to the spot. Was pretty damn sketchy though since family where home, where as before I did it when I was alone. Went good though and no one saw me, was able to quickly get her out there, water Midnight and get back in under 25 minutes. Record time for a trip out there.

Finally I named my last girl! Her name is Green Fairy! I found it fitting due to her small size and I wanted 'green' to be in it some how, so it works well. Plus Green Fairy is some strong ass liquor, and my plant has a strong ass smell! haha! Depending on what I have going on tomorrow I will try and get her outside as soon as possible.

15. So Green Fairy is the last one inside right? How's she looking, she's not too stretched is she? Glad things are going smoothly, and stay safe!

16. Hey, ya Kamel she is the last one and today I was finally able to get her outside! Was hard as fuck though cause I had to carry water up there too. But I also brought a small hose so next time I need water I can just siphon it from the little creek near by (cause its in a valley). It will be a lot easier that way.

So Green Fairy looks good, shorter than the other two, not stretched. Only problem is I accidentally put her in the pot slightly crooked. But she is strong and its not that crooked, I'm just OCD. However the other two when I went up there had dropped some of the lower leaves. I am not sure why... they looked fine, not drooping and they where defiantly taller (to my chest now!) but the lower leaves had fallen off and some where wilting on the plant. I will have to get pictures for you all... I just wanted to get it out there and see if there was anything I could do.

Well anyway, their all up there now! I felt so weird today, unplugging the lights at 1:30 pm. Just didn't seem right. But now I won't have to worry about making sure I get the lights on time!!!

17. Your sad that all your babies have grown up and moved to the big open world. Take care of your girls and good luck!

18. It's ok for the lower leaves to fall off. Were they yellow? If so they might be getting hungry for some nutes.

19. Yeah the leaves where yellow. Its possible they need some fertilizer, I haven't given them any for a few weeks now. Been holding off since they where getting transferred and I thought the new soil would be good enough. I will start putting in a little fertilizer though and hopefully that will help. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Hey guys! I went out there today to water them. Was going to do it before but it kept raining so I figured they where not dying from no water. I put some fertilizer in today and gave them all a drink. No one was drooping in the hot sun, and everyone looked pretty good. I also got some pictures to share with you all.

About the leaf's falling off. Today all of them had more leaves that had gone, but not as many as last time. LNF Blaze has the most leaf loss.

Picture 1: Size comparison from old container to new container.
    2: Family picture at outdoor location.
    3: Picture of Green Fairy
    4: Picture of Midnight Maiden
    5: Picture of LNF Blaze
    6: Shot of LNF's lower branches, note leaf loss.
    7: Damage from rain, visible on all plants. Picture of LNF Blaze

Attached Files: