Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. One option that you may want to consider when setting up a worm bin is that red wigglers usually cost a lot.

Blue Ridge Organics & Vermiculture sells worm cocoons. 1,000 cocoons cost $25.00 and after hatching you'll get, on average, 3.2 worms per cocoon (not sure exactly how someone figured that deal out). This price includes shipping & handling.

So let's say that you end up with 3,000 worms. By the time they hit their adult stage you'll have 3 lbs. of worms - all for $25.00

HTH

LD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks green. I've been wondering how to make the harvesting process easier.
    Now I have another DIY project to play with.

3. My bins are up and rolling today. All the snow has melted off and we had a light rain this morning. The wigglers were crawling everywhere. Easy pickings as they say. I went with the two 10 gal rubbermaid set up. The Boshaki bins are rocking in the kitchen also.

Thanks Pork and Lump! Great teachings!

:gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Possuum38North

Once your bokashi bran is properly fermented and dried you might want to add small amounts of the bran to your worm bins.

By small amounts I'm talking about 1 cup or so for a bin measuring 4' x 8' so adjust the amount for the size of your worm bins. For the Rubbermaid tubs I'd say that adding a couple of tablespoons would be beneficial.

Also if you can source powdered oyster shells you'll want to add that to your bins as well. Worms need calcium to procreate and thrive. Use the same amount as the bokashi bran.

Also adding small amounts of soft rock phosophate is helpful to increase the fungi levels in your castings. Bacteria is a given - it's the fungi that need help to get them up and moving.

Best wishes - growing worms is a fun hobby/project from my perspective. One thing for sure - you will never find a better soil amendment than home-grown worm castings.

HTH

LD

5. I save egg shells, dry in the oven for a few minutes, and then grind them up in the blender. If you have a smaller bin, you'd definitely be able to collect enough shells.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #66 clos3tgrow3r, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    Hey Old Pork,

Thanks for the great info +rep! I just put together a worm bin about half an hour ago:D. I have a simple, probably silly question for you: Do the worms (I got the red wigglers too) eat the skins of citrus fruits? I get the feeling the answer is yes, I just dont have a sense of what they can do yet.

thx

P.S. Worms in my actual pots? Is there any benefit?

7. You can use citrus skins in moderation. I don't put in more than one peel at a time in my bin, and I make sure to cover it well. If you add too much, the ph in your bin will be too acidic for the worms, and you'll end up with a mass exodus.

8. alright I may have messed that up bit, I put 2 whole grapefruits, after being eaten of course, into my bin. I'll keep on eye out for any movement. Thnx

9. why use only non-meat compost? Is that for fly and maggot control?

10. The meat attracts pests while it's composting. Anything greasy will attract pests and take a long time to compost, too. Meat is okay for the new electric composters, though.

11. Yes. That and the fact that worms are pretty much vegetarians.

When an animal dies in nature, it's maggots that break down the carcass and not worms.

LD

• Like Like x 1
  12. dude i have those worms in my back yard red wigglers are the kind i fish with i can make one of these asap

13. It's funny how vermicomposting is really coming full circle. About 12 years ago I went to an Earth Day festival at a factory for one of the big computer chip manufacturers. The big attraction was the round worm bins and sorters. Everyone thought I was nuts to do vermicomposting when I started in 2001. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. It makes sense though since what we throw out to the landfills is nearly half organic matter, supposively more. As for my worms I went next door and gathered worms from a large horse manure pile and added them to my bin. The bin is going crazy now, very black soil in there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It means a lot of sense, especially since it is so easy to do. I read that one of the Army bases is using vermicompost, and they're saving a couple hundred thousand a year on waste removal for just the mess hall waste. We've reduced what we're throwing into the trash or recycling bin, too. Plus, the plants lurve the compost. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. a friend of mine and I read this thread and we are using your method once the worms get here. thanks my friend!

17. Here is a shot of my worm bin at the end of it's cycle, once they devour what is left I'm putting in new bedding and switching all of the earth out.

It's getting a little hot in here so some are at the surface, whats in there;
    Cardboard/paper
    Horse manure
    apples, bananas, carrots, celery, potato peels
    maple leaves
    ground up eggs

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  18. I noticed alot of people have fruit fly problems with their bins. I just freeze all my scraps and then let them thaw out before adding to the bin as it kills any pest eggs that hide in the peels and skins of the fruits and veggies. Works like a charm.

• Like Like x 1

19. Making sure to dig in a little and then cover food up with plenty of bedding helps a lot, too. I haven't had them since I realized I was supposed to be doing that.