Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. @puffnstuff1960

haha yeah when the robins leave we know springs coming and for you it’s the arrival of them

that’s funny

Tundra

• Like Like x 3
  2. @puffnstuff1960, In NY state some Robins stopped migrating south. If you drive into larger housing developments the Robins are there year round. I also seen a large group of them a few days back on my walk and we live in the country. Odd, maybe Monsanto chemicals messed them up?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. We are waiting on Spring in the south too. This winter slog drags me down every year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Seems this winter to be especially true for me, I'm not sure why.

• Like Like x 3
  5. I think the Southern part of Michigan some stay year-round, not here, at least I've never seen one in the winter.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I’ve got some more of the rolley polley bugs roaming the bins indoors. I’ve seen them before but never had problems with them In the past.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BCD9FD9B-7938-4038-901C-76FC8EC897A2.jpeg They are shy critters but that’s one hanging out on the paper roll.

• Like Like x 3
  8. I get pill bugs too. This year my leaf mold was loaded with millipedes therefore so are all my worm bins. 20220122_205308.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. That’s awesome. I think millipedes will eat pill bugs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I think it is centipedes that are carnivores. I believe millipedes are herbivores or detritivores.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I started a worm bin a few months ago and it has some liquid in the bottom bucket, can I use it for my plants? What are the benefits? Should I pump air through it?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Worm leachate can be used after thinning and bubbling if it has not gone anaerobic. I toss mine on the lawn in the summer when my bins are out doors. Your better off making a worm tea using your castings.Some folks have had bad experiences using worm leachate here. You really do not want your indoor worm bins running wet enough that you have runoff. Doing so can deplete oxygen in your bedding and can lead to the death of your worms.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I've been putting a lot of organic stuff in the bin,so I don't have any casting from them yet, I'm using 5 gallon buckets ,the first food bucket is pretty full, going to start the next one soon

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'm trying to go organic, but I'm not sure where to start

• Like Like x 2
  15. Does anyone use compost tumblers,I have one that I bought a couple years ago for the veggie garden and it hasn't produced anything useable yet, but I never added any worms, just thought about that LMAO

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reading the first few pages of this thread is a good start. I'd also suggest checking out Jerrys thread "Backyard Composting" I'll link below.

Backyard Composting

You may also want to try hot composting:
    https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/
    You do not want to add worms to your compost pile. The worms will populate the pile when it cools down.

• Like Like x 1
  17. @TimJ thanks for the help but I don't think you understand, maybe this will help IMG_20220126_075402095_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. The tumbler is buried at the corner of the fence I'm thinking about bringing it into the cellar

• Like Like x 4
  19. I'm in upstate NY. I understand you cannot build a compost pile outside right now. I tend to do a lot of research in the winter. Once spring hits I'm to busy outdoors in my gardens. Those compost tumblers are tricky to get good compost from. You need the correct Nitrogen/carbon ratio. Along with the correct moisture level and they need to be turned daily. You don't want it in direct sun either. In my opinion compost piles work the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jump on Amazon....wish ect grab u a nice compost bin or build ur own maybe!?