Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Right. The funny thing is, I recognized the name cause I had read about guys growing autos in them. I was scoping them out for a real life visual, when I solved my original quest. The old damn, the trays will fit perfect in this, and it’s already got a grate in the bottom. I’m going to score another one if there are any left.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  2. I can get free brand new pallets at my work. I just want to start an extensive worm bin squad.

Question. My worm bin started with ripped up newspaper/cardboard, some Coast of Maine Lobster compost, oyster shell flour and some malted barley flour.

I feed frozen then thawed fruit, sometimes rolled in malted barley flour. All is well, but the worms don’t really leave the bottom 2inches which everything that low is already processed. Above that is pretty much just cardboard that occasionally gets sprayed down.

Some have said to mix the bin up, some say let nature take its course but it seems like the worms are not leaving the bottom. I want them to start processing the rest of the bin, and grow in numbers. Thoughts?

I’ve added kelp/neem

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Has it been hot or cold? Any environment issues? I need to monitor this as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pull the paper up, and throw some compost on top. The worms will come up and work it. The worms don’t really work paper quite like that. It’s gotta be wet all the time and breakdown before they will be able to work it.
    Cheers
    Os

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Since my fam here told me to raise temps since i’m using an LED, it stays at about 78-80F… worm bin is in same room as my 4x4. They always seem happy, only seen them try to escape twice; when I first made the bin and when I overwatered it

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was thinking I could completely take the cardboard out, shred it up better and mix it with some conpost… and then my next feeding i’ll add to the upper layer?

• Like Like x 2
  7. I liked the info OS drooped about the paper breaking down. I didn’t even catch that in the OP.

• Like Like x 3
  8. When it comes to paper and cardboard some materials work much better than others. Newspaper shredded or torn up works much better than shredded documents (printer paper). Cardboard is the same way. Corrugated cardboard like a pizza delivery box, works much better than the cardboard that a frozen pizza comes in.
    cheers
    Os

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Whats nice about cardboard is it keeps the moisture locked in so the cycling is steady rolling

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Winter months my woodstove and furnace kills the moisture in my air. In some cases where humidity is high you may not need to moisten the bins as frequently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Or you can buy a couple blumat carrotsand let them keep moisture in check automatically

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well I finished washing the worm bin out sprayed down good to make sure I don't bring in any unwanted eggs or pests inside. Also gives the wood a good soaking so when I put in new bedding it don't soak all the moisture out of the bedding. Will be installing it in the flower room later tonight when the lights come on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My lil guys right besides a handful of bokashi bran. Bound it extremely odd, as they don't appear to be in the bokashi, but definitely attracted to it. Not sure whats going on. They like the microal activity, but not the ph? No idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. They will wait until it’s ‘just right’ then move in and swarm it.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 4
  15. You were completely correct, my friend!

Never seen them swarm like this before. Pretty crazy, they must love those bokashi microbes!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. The gang has about a month before I return them to various locations thru the house. I’m going to harvest them and rework the bedding in these next weeks. I need some ideas on Christmas decorations for the bins since they celebrate too.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Little Santa hats.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. We need to have a display this year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I think your getting ahead of yourself and forgetting the best holiday for worms. They are perfect for all kinds of Halloween type decorations and themes. Brains….guts…
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  20. I figured with it being October already I was late. @ElRanchoDeluxe already has the Christmas theme won with the winter scene greenhouse build.

• Like Like x 2