Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. You are so right about drivers disregard for bikes. I gave up booze about 9 years ago as I was mixing it with pills. I tossed it all and just went with pot. I don’t regret that call. I firmly believe that pot can help beat an op addiction.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Not sure what’s going on but I’ve finally got some energy. For the last 2-3 weeks I’ve just been dog tired, almost wonder if I had the Coof. Anyway got a lil bin going today and got a small batch of compost in 5g buckets for next year. Hoping to get one more batch in this year. I think I’ll be making another pallet bin specifically for leaf mold. 23A387E3-B1A2-4E61-9C16-B522C07204F1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I think you guys jinxed me. 3rd year on my bike and caught a yellow jacket to the neck yesterday on the way to the post office. After walking out of the PO, I gave my hoodie a good shake and it fell out! Pretty sure I only got stung once.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Man that hurts. That big V neck baseball shirt that I was wearing welcomed that thing right in on me.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I’m doing my dude in the south weather survey. When are you expecting to have some winter to visit?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Should have had a frost already. Got really close last night for me. People in my surrounding area have already seen a frost or two. Gotta finish the greenhouse today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Won’t be long and I’ll move the worms back inside to the utility room. I’m leaving the bin that I feed to attract worms outside in a sunny area for the winter as I think they come and go in there.

• Like Like x 3
  8. So I have a worm bin in a 26 gallon tote, it’s going fine but i’d sure like to upgrade and get a lot more worms without having to spend a bunch of money. I’d love to use strictly my homemade EWC in my bed/pots.

1. In your opinion, what’s the best “worm bin” that’s either DIY or not expensive?

2. Where do you guys get your worms? I swear the best deal I saw was on etsy… I know one place that’s popular starts with an M, and had kinda a funky shopping policy but was well priced.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Well it depends on what kind of bin fits your space/needs. I made a flow through style for free other than some hardware (screws and hinges) you can look local stores for clean pallets (no chemicals or oils) and make one like I did....or you can use dollar store plastic bins. You really only need shallow containers as the worms don't go very deep, at the most 1 foot walls keeping them stacked so the worms can work thier way up the bins. There is a vermicomposting bin plans floating around here somewhere

• Like Like x 3

10. If you are looking to buy, I have the one from amazon that is identical to the Cafe and it was 90 bucks but as suggested above, they are very easy and cheap to make.
    I get worms at the local corner store mostly for around 3 bucks a cup but you can find good sellers on eBay who are careful about packing and won’t ship in extreme weather. Also, as @ElRanchoDeluxe made the point to me before I went crazy buying worms, that they multiply pretty well on their own.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Here's a example of a cheap diy bin 20171012_115730.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. You can buy rolls of the wire mesh cheap enough at tractor supply or online. 20170922_181306_001.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. Nursing homes usually give pallets away for free as the cost to toss them is getting expensive. They get alpt of dry goods like adult diapers and sterile equipment so the pallets are usually very clean.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. 20171216_123407_1.gif

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Here is a new twist. I bought a “Patio Picker” on sale for $16 bucks the other day. It’s a little sip on castors. I use that for a base or stand for my worm bin. I just stack trays with a cover on top. The picker is a little bit bigger than my trays, so it catches a lot of the accidental mess. I can wheel it around now which is sweet.
    cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. That’s a cool deal on that SIP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I used a kiddie pool to catch anything under my trays but it takes up too much room :mellow: I would like to cut a old garbage can down someday as it would be a perfect fit to my diy flow through

• Like Like x 2
  18. I was honestly just looking for a shallow tote at Lowe’s and stumbled upon that. It fit better than any tote they had, and was only a couple bucks more. I didn’t even realize it had castors till I got it home.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  19. Love when little things like that work out better than originally planned

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I got a shallow tote at wally land that the trays fit perfect in but it’s heavy duty and was a bit expensive. 20 bucks. I’ve got marigolds growing in it now and trying to get broccoli started for Fall.

• Like Like x 3