Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. These stackable worm farm instructions say to only feed the top bin. I think I could start a bin with all the trays stacked up from day one. With just an inch or two of media in every tray. Feed all trays weekly then restack them in any order you want.

• Like Like x 2
  2. If you do that, the worms won't get much chance to work the bottom tray before you pull it, unless you have a lot of worms. Otherwise there is nothing really wrong with doing that. I would fill all the lower trays with only compost based bedding and not feed them 'food', except for the initial filling and stacking. I would then leave all the lower trays alone until each one is harvested.
    In the big scheme of things, especially starting with a smaller worm population, I would just start one tray. If want to cheat the time frame, then start a second one after 2-3 weeks, instead of a month. The reason I say this, is that way you will have a good harvest of casting rich vermicompost when you harvest the loweset tray.
    hope that made sense
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I love growing hydro with synthetic nutrients always have and always will. Last year Damping off hit every seedling I would touch and I wasted hundreds of dollars. I tried different types of sterilisation and just made everything sick. A friend suggested worm castings. My damping off problems completely disappeared.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I won't say going completely organic/living soil will prevent every single problem growers could think of, but microbiology certainly has a lot of ability to buffer problems chemical growers are plagued with. Nature is quite resilient

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ive had thick white mycelium like that when cooking soil with bokashi barley and alfalfa few times . never in my worm bins i think my worm bins tend to have bacterial dominance. in not sure what kind of fungi that is but molds dont really scare me when it comes to living soil. my philosophy has always been to have diversity of microbes and fungi. As long as there’s not mold growing on the plants themselves or root born pathogens rotting the roots. i think adding moldy fruits and o in compost or worm bins is fine. ive done IMO collections that have had plenty of oranges greens grays along with the typical white fuzzy mycelium and ive never seen any negative affects using it in teas or adding to compost or vermicompost.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I bought just a couple small worm containers from petsmart and have more than I bought now. So I know I am doing nothing wrong. Had a funny smell when I added onions but its gone now and added green waste. I started another layer and transported some worms to it with bedding mixed with mushroom compost and top dressed green sand and oyster flower and topped with eggshells and cardboard comes with eggs.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I still haven't put a second tray on my 4 worm cafe. Pics are last week til now.
    Screenshot_20210308-080044_Video Player.jpg
    Is anyone else having trouble posting a normal picture?
    Im ready to abandon my latest grow journal because it not working well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. I’m not sure what the pic issue is but there was talk about it on the Lounge board. Nice bin there. I haven’t added any more trays yet either but I added to the bedding in my one. It’s breaking down pretty fast but I’m moving it out and harvesting next weekend.

Has anybody just used one of these trays to screen with? They look to be perfect for it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. They clog almost immediately. More time spent cleaning and clearing than actually sifting, especially if the medium is moist.

Just my experience. Somebody else have better luck?

10. Hardware cloth, 1/2” is the ticket.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nice sounds like nice bedding and looked great. i didn’t see anything wrong with the picture looked awesome. someone had commented about the color of the mycelium and wether or not should be concerned with mold thats what i was addressing. just figured id give my 2 cents on my experience with colorful fungi on food-scraps and in compost. never caused any issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mycelium and snow!
    147BE41D-8C7A-456C-8320-0DE6A2540651.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. If you run kelp neem alfalfa and malted barley flour through a worm bin is it possible to skip adding them directly as a top dress? If you use vermicompost mbp do you still need coconut water and aloe? Any help in simplifying the mofo method is appreciated.

@Chunk do you have any thoughts on a amendments and vermicompost?

• Like Like x 3

14. @jonhova

I'm going to refer you this thread which expounds on your questions about "vermiculture based gardening".

Converting to Vermiculture Based Gardening

Once you read through the thread, post any other questions you may have and I'll be happy to help. You'll also be getting direction from a lot of our other organic growers that are using these methods.

@Organic sinse and @wetdog have put a lot of work into that thread with a little help from me but you'll get their perspectives as well.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. What is this? It looks like the fungi I had growing on a rotten tree I collected in a rainforest and added to the worm bin 2 months ago.
    20210319_004225.jpg 20210319_004153.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kinda looks like slime mold. :confused_2: I don't know if it's good or bad but it's pretty neat stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I had something just like that in my bin a few months ago... off white yellowish slime. Kinds mycelium-ish with the lightening bolt pattern. Grew on the cardboard.

Never figured out what it was, but it didn't seem to bother my noodles.

• Like Like x 1
  18. What does it smell like ,? Did you taste it?

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Not sure if I would be tasting random molds, bacterias, or fungis....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Better safe than sorry! Lol! I've seen guys eat worse!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1