Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. I have been told by a few to stalk @wetdog and I'm trying! Thanks for the thread and the advice, I've saved it and will comb through it as well. :geek:

2. Well, you found me, now hopefully I can offer some helpful advice, or at least some creative BS.:D

Wet

3. Well here is my first question. Is it normal for them to be coming out of the pile like this?

[​IMG]

The pile does seem hot and it doesn't seem that wet imo. Is it ok for me to turn the pile? I'm going to google now too but thought I'd post as well.

4. I think it's too wet. I'm going to add paper to it now. There is also a ton of the white fungi stuff, in the center.

5. Yeah, they are trying to escape something and too wet sounds likely. Might be a bit overfed also.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I haven't used shredded paper since my first run and pretty much avoid veggie scraps in the bins. Seems to add too much moisture and they go to the worms in the comfrey bed.

Are you growing anything ATM, or better yet, making your own soil mix? My bedding is basically the beginnings of a no till or the 'easy' soil mix, peat moss, perlite, pine bark mulch and lime. Simple and easy to make and best of all, consistant. Makes things easy if you are troubleshooting. Everything that goes in the bins is stuff that gets used in my soil mix. About the only exception is the melon rinds I use to bait worms out of a bin.

There are very few set rules for worms, mainly, not too wet, not too acidic, and not overfed. Beyond that, it's pretty much what is easiest for you and comfy for the worms. When they aren't comfy they'll bail in a big hurry, as you noticed.

Do you have any old used soil? Let's see what you have to work with.

Wet

6. The only thing I currently have at my house in the easy soil mix recipe is the sphagnum moss. I actually use that for my geckos, so have a ton. I also have a bag of organic soil if that would help get them back to normal. I can go get stuff you listed later today though.

7. Spagnum moss or Spagnum peat moss? Two different things, I've used both. Spagnum moss is from harvested live plants and I used that a bunch when I was growing Platycerium ferns. The spagnum peat moss is the dead stuff that drifts to the bottom og the bog and becomes peat over time. What we use in our soil mixes. IDK which one the geckos require.

If you have the peat moss all you'll need is some perlite and dolomite lime to start. The other stuff can be added as you get it, but I'll give you a list of what *I* use. OS and 3Deez are also good sources for varied amendments. There's really no set rules other than the lime with the peat moss and some aeration.

Wet

8. This exact brand.
    [​IMG]

I found huge clumps of worms in big balls. I read that is how they communicate before migrating. I'm sure they were talking smack about me to each other. "This lady is trying to kill us, let's roll out" sort of things.:D

For now I divided the bedding into two bins and took out all the big pieces of veggie matter I could find as well as the larger pieces of paper. It is way less dense now and better air flow for the holes at the bottom. I'll see what it's like in the morning before I go shopping for ingredients.

Thanks!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well, the geckos won't be losing their bedding, that's the stuff that is harvested live. You want the spagnum peat moss which is easy enough to find at either HD or Lowes, or just about any big box store with a garden center. It will be either Premier or Lambert brand (both are excellent), and they come in bales of 3cf to 3.8cf (~45lbs), and cost from ~$11 to $13 depending on what size they got that year. It is compressed while still wet and needs to be "expanded". Easy enough to do just by rubbing it between your hands. I have a screen made from expanded lath that I used to grind spagnum moss to a real fine texture for sowing fern spores. I seldom use it since it's easier and faster to just rub it between your hands. A 3cf bale of Lambert will expand out tp ~35 gallons. The same size of Premier yields ~32 gallons. I like to expand the entire bale and keep it in a 32 gal trash can or similar size tote. It is the most boring part of constructing mixes and usually the part that takes the longest. So, a nice cool day, a cold 12 pack and a bowl takes care of the tedious part. Then, all you need to do is measure out what you need on mixing day.

Next is the lime. I use pulverized (powdered), Dolomite lime, also at HD or Lowes and is ~$4.50 for a 40lb bag. Use the powdered rather than the pelletized because it mixes better when making mixes. The pellets work best in the lawn spreaders and for top dressing, if needed. Usually, both are right next to each other and in the same area as the peat moss.

Pine bark mulch: If they have it, snag a bag, but it's usually the first to sell out. Not nuggets or mini nuggets, but the mulch. You want the smallest size/grade. ~$2.50 for a 2cf bag. If they don't have it, don't bother trying to substitute as they will have it next spring. I only know about the pine bark and have never used other kinds of tree bark. Actually, what I used to use was graded pine bark fines. Can't find it here and the mulch is the closest in size (about fingernail size). It's ok if it's not included in the bedding mix, but it always goes in my soil mixes.

Perlite: This is the hard one, mainly finding a local source for the big/cheap 4cf bags. Many places that can get it don't keep it in stock because it's a slow seller and takes up way too much floor space. After a couple of years I finally asked the local Feed & Seed guy about it since he did keep vermiculite on hand for a customer. His answer was "No problem, I can get it on the weekly truck", but didn't keep it in stock for the reasons mentioned. It's now $19.90 for a 4cf bag and he now keeps some in stock because so many customers kept trying to buy the bag(s), he had ordered for me. The small bags will do in a pinch but are extremely over priced. Actual building supply places are also a good source as perlite is used as insulation in CBS buildings, as is vermiculite. I was told that some HD's either carry the smaller 2cf bags or can order it to the store, but I've never really checked it out.

Pumice is also good, but unless you live in the far west where it's local and cheap, it's super expensive due to shipping. About 5x the cost of perlite here.

Leaf mold is excellent, but takes ~3 years to fully process/break down. I do a heavy layer of leaves every fall in my raised beds, but just leave it there. It is full of worms, but too much trouble for me to try to harvest for use elsewhere. The garden really does well though.

I'm typed out for the moment. If I missed anything, just ask.

Wet

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. I'm leaving shortly so perfect timing and can't thank you enough for breaking it down that much for me. I know I'm seeming like a pain and I'm sorry for that. :)

The worms already look better this morning. None were on top or crawling up the sides. I pulled back a little of the bedding and they seem more spread out and acting worm like lol.

I might have questions after I get back. Sorry in advance for that lol. ;)

11. Need some ideas on how to integrate a wormbin into a new kitchen aesthetically. Was thinking of devoting a section of the under the counter cabinet, but i was thinking weather or not to have a hatch that opens from the top of the counter for easy access to dump waste or not.
    Anyone have a wormbin setup in their kitchen that looks nice? Ideas welcome!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Not quite a worm bin, but I read about these gizmos a while back and they do fit the attractiveness factor.

This new gadget promises to transform food scraps into fertilizer in 24 hours

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. my worm bin (smaller store bought plastic trays) smells quite bad from time to time and I can't image having that inside a kitchen.

14. Your worm bin should never smell bad. Part of your process is most likely what's causing this...

My Worm Bin Smells Like Poop – Help! | Red Worm Composting

• Like Like x 1
  15. Overfeeding 'greens', not enough 'browns', and probably too damp.
    cheers
    os

16. I suspect you are right... I tend to use more food scraps and less dry stuff like leaves or grass clippings

17. Do somethin like a dish washer or trash compactor set up...u get the idea

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chunk you're so millennial haha :)
    Was thinking of building a horizontal flow through box with a flip top that doubles as a bench. Something like this but ill make it look a bit nicer, thoughts?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. What about something like this? Unfinished kitchen base cabnet from H.D. Make a vertical flow thru. Put a floor in it like any other vertical flow through then cut the doors on the bottom a foot or what ever you want for harvesting your castings. Secure the top of the door to keep them from opening. Put a counter top on it with a hole to that open or you could take off.
    You proably could make it a horizontal flow through also with storage underneath.
    I would think you would want one that excepts a sink for either

$ 99.00 for a 36" wide at H.D

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1