Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Hope you or Sinse don't mind if I slide in

I was looking to do the exact thing you are pondering. I wanted to amend the bedding and be done with it.
    So early last month I started wetdog's batch style buckets (5 gallons holes drilled in lid, no feeding). I amended the bedding, wetted to field capacity, and let it sit for a few days, then added worms. Now I check every few days - and I don't water or add any food. I'll let them work it until done, then the plan is to add them to another batch.
    I wanted to apply the same concept to a flow through bin. I amend the bedding, wet it, and add it on top as 'feed'.
    I have a recipe I'm sticking to, so I'll have more consistency and it'll be easier to tweak. So far so good. Almost too easy.
    Shakas

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  2. About how long does each bucket take to finish? How many worms do you put in each bucket?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Started 5.10.18 - they aren't finished yet. Safe to say 12 weeks or so. But go by the looks of it.
    I divided my mixture between 4 buckets. Each contains roughly 2 gallons bedding/food and 1/2 lb worms. They will adjust their population. Already have lots of cocoons.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I had an 18g Rubbermaid static bin that I forgot about for a lil over a year. No inputs, water, nothing. To my surprise there was still a handful of worms and some of the closest material to true EWC I've used.
    Alot of the techniques used by the guys here can and are used directly in the no till raised bed or smart pot itself. As the cycles go by I add less and less vermicompost after each run. I tend to switch to just compost in order to feed the worms already in my beds. Eventually even skipping the compost altogether and allowing them to feed on mulch alone.
    All that said, a red wiggler is a composting worm and does just fine in compost alone. The beauty of putting them in finished compost alone is that it's ready from Day 1.
    RD

• Like Like x 6
  5. 92D40326-0CEB-47C4-ADD5-86188DF95392.jpeg 3DF6E764-EF64-44D3-BAC6-688C725DCD67.jpeg Here’s some pics of that garbage can worm bin one month into it. Lots of mycelium and Santa’s beard present so I think I’m on the right path.
    One thing I did wrong was that I placed a sheet of cardboard down on top of the grate before I loaded the bedding thinking it would rot out quickly. It’s taking its time and I think it prevents it from allowing proper airflow. I just used my trowel to tear it up from underneath so that should help. I have seen a few worms trying to escape... or maybe they just like to explore!

• Like Like x 2
  6. EC080BF4-FCE3-42B7-A371-1C63B5D9787F.jpeg Thanks to Rancho Deluxe for putting me in touch with this kooky horse lady with the good looking poo!
    Loaded with composters!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. @ElRanchoDeluxe know any good horse ladies in Southern California? lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. This lady heads south every winter. Can't remember where. I'll ask or JM ask her. It would be funny if it was SoCal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Questions.

1. Is that enough food and bedding to start with for 1 lb of worms?
    2. I froze my veggie scraps because I read it's easier to break down after that. Anyway, it's not frozen but it's still cold. Can I put them in or do I need to wait?
    3. How long can the worms stay in the box? I've had them in there for about 2.5 hours now.
    3. I also don't know if it's too wet but I doubt you can tell that from a picture...so kind of a pointless question :D

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Also, I bought "grit" for the worms. I was under the impression that is what the coffee grinds did but they convinced me the coffee had no nutritional value so I bought the grit while my husband shook his head. :D

Do I really need that or is the coffee grinds fine?

11. I think you're good with that amount of scraps to start them out. Bury it a little one side of the bedding then check back over the next few days to see how fast they get into it and finish it off. That will give you a good idea of how much is enough.

Frozen scraps do tend to break down faster as they thaw. I don't add stuff thats frozen solid but if you do, it's likely that they won't touch it until it's suitable...this is why Ive always added scraps to one area of the bedding, allowing the worms to have a place to hang out if they dont like it. Once they move into it, the next time i add the scraps to the opposite side and just keep cycling back and forth. Keep in mind that the more frozen items you add, the more wet the bedding will be as it thaws so make sure you have somewhere for the leachate to run off and a safe place for the worms to hang out if conditions become too wet.
    I've always been taught that coffee grounds do in fact have a nutrient profile. We keep our used grounds in a compost container and after a few days of sitting, they usually start to get covered in bacteria, particularly fungi. Worms eat bacteria so I'd say coffee grounds are good to go. Just don't add loads of it unless you have a alot of surface area because it will get hot as it breaks down.

FWIW, I've always mixed a little regular sand into my bedding for grit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Thank you for replying so quick and the info. I'll smoke a bowl and calm down now. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. 1. I would add more bedding and maybe a little soil. I like to keep the food scraps covered with a layer of 'browns'. It helps keep the smell in check as my worms live inside.
    2. You can add the veggies anytime. Make sure you have drain holes so that any excess moisture can drain out.
    3. The worms can stay in there a while if need be. Just note how moist it is now and try to maintain that level of moisture until you add them to the bid. When you do, add in all the bedding that came with them. This will make it feel more like home for them.
    3. (3 again? Lol) think damp sponge when determining moisture level. I never have to add water to my bins. The decomposing food scraps have plenty of moisture. Sometimes I even blend them up into a food scraps smoothy. That way the worms can get at it faster.

Bonus answer - WTF is grit? Never heard of it, never used it. My lil guys love the coffee grounds (only used grounds and I throw the filter right in).
    I like to use the food processor to chop up our egg shells. Worms love that as well!

Here are some pics.

Shells pre grind
    20180806_142846.jpg

Double worm bin setup
    20180806_142929.jpg

Top of my oldest bin has about 3 inches of shredded paper on top
    20180806_143012.jpg

Under the paper
    20180806_143053.jpg

And this is the top of the two bins that I started today. You see some bedding from the old bin on top and then the new cardboard bedding under that followed by food and more bedding.
    20180806_142959.jpg

Stay ire

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coffee grounds are not grit, but they are a good food, a good half of my worms diet, comfrey being the other.

Like 3D mentioned, play sand is grit and I've used it for years. Worms have a gizzard just like a chicken and the grit aids in digestion. A 50lb bag from HD was around $5 8 years ago and I still have 20+lbs left.

I freeze my comfrey and veggies, but don't bother to thaw it, just add it to the bin. The worms will move away till it thaws and starts to rot. Then, they'll party.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks @FlexedDabs and @wetdog for the info and pics. And @3Deez too. It's very helpful to get feedback in "real time". After getting the worms today and the shop telling me stuff that was contradictory to what I've read repeatedly, it's nice to know I'm still (possibly) headed in the right direction.

Also my family is sick to death of talking about worms. Their faces glaze over when I open my mouth lately. :D

16. Unfortunately vermicomposting is just as commercialized as canna and has been for a long time now. Like hydro store products, most stuff on the market can likely be sourced cheaper without a brand name attched to it. Some items can even be gotten for free if you're willing to do the leg/back work lol.

I have a bag of green sand that I used to add to my soil mix but now it's used for this purpose in addition to the native sand I have in my yard. I just use what is easily available to me and free stuff is my absolute favorite lol. Rock dust can also be used for this purpose and makes for a really good input for quality VC. I actually have been adding it here rather than in my soil mix as well.
    Sup Wet! Long time no see man! I'm still lurking the City here and there these days. Mostly waiting for gardening season to roll around again in these parts. I hope you been well man!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Hey Deez!

LOL, you remind me of me gardening in SoFl. Nov to March was about it for growing outside. Had to go down in April and it was already in the 90's in the middle of the month.

Still have the play sand, but also add the greensand to the bins. I've totally stopped using rock dust in the mixes and rely on just greensand and azomite for minerals now. Just use 1/2 - 1cup of each/cf and it sure seems to keep the mix lighter than when using the RD. Available much faster than the RD also. But "fast" is kinda relative with any of those. LOL

Hope you've been well also. Been mostly well here and I'll take that along with turning 70 in a couple of weeks. Not much choice in the matter so you just take it as it comes.
    Cheers!

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hey Deez!

LOL, you remind me of me gardening in SoFl. Nov to March was about it for growing outside. Had to go down in April and it was already in the 90's in the middle of the month.

Still have the play sand, but also add the greensand to the bins. I've totally stopped using rock dust in the mixes and rely on just greensand and azomite for minerals now. Just use 1/2 - 1cup of each/cf and it sure seems to keep the mix lighter than when using the RD. Available much faster than the RD also. But "fast" is kinda relative with any of those. LOL

Hope you've been well also. Been mostly well here and I'll take that along with turning 70 in a couple of weeks. Not much choice in the matter so you just take it as it comes.
    Cheers!

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  19. We had a surprisingly decent spring. Temps started hitting the 90s back in February but they fell a few times due to rain. Unfortunately I also had to shut the beds down early because we got spider mites that literally took over everything...and QUICKLY! I started fighting them with IPM and had to leave town for work. When I got back there was webbing all over and the worst part was that for once, my veggies we're actually still blooming in the heat!! Lessons learned is all I can say.

I agree on the rock dust use. Ive been front loading my compost/vermicompost with most of my slower releasing items. Everyone says that green sand takes forever to become plant soluble so I figure adding to my bedding as grit along with volcanic RD and the last of my remaining guano, should provide for somewhat of a head start haha!

Otherwise, all that stuff tends to make my soil heavy. Found that out the hard way when I tried to forego peat in one my mixes lol.

Early happy birthday to ya man! I hope you get to enjoy it. Another year is a real blessing

20. @Hugs And Spit
    Checkout @wetdog's thread in this forum, its called "Converting to Vermiculture based gardening". There is a lot of newer info there. We have listed out our newer bedding recipe's and techs.
    The 'mineral mix' usually sold/associated with vermicomposting in the stores is just rock dust sold at a high price for a small amount. Like others have said, I use whatever would go in my soil mix later on. Rockdust or green sand are what I use. I also use a flour of oyster shells, (called OSF in the forums) this brings some extra calcium and liming to the table. I also add a small amount of gypsum. These are all things that I use in my soil mix, they are added to the worm bin, to get a headstart on the 'nutrient cycling' in addition to helping the worms.
    Cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1