Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. first google hit is BAS lol

• Like Like x 2
  2. Do this first ^^^ and quit worrying/thinking about places that will take roughly a year to reach. The whole walk before you run thing.

I use both fresh and aged, but it was well over a year (and starting a second bin), before there was enough VC to set aside and age. It's just not something to be concerned with ATM.

Keep reading of course, but the big priority is getting the BIN started. THEN the big priority is not killing the worms from reading too much conflicting information on grow styles and trying to do them all at the same time. Pick one, learn it, and then experiment. Or, you'll end up buying a lot of replacement worms.

Wet

• Like Like x 6
  3. That's amazing thanks bro! I know I get to ahead of myself and there's alot of different things when I do research lol but ur rigjt I get waayyy ahead of myself alot! With all kinds of things not just the bin lol but everything lol

check out my grow journal :) 1st outdoor grow journal any suggestions/tips would be great!
    1st outdoor grow journal any suggestions/tips would be great!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yea the 1st thing when I Google is the bas worm bin kit...I have most of those ingredients so I'll probly just get more peat moss and follow that...I have calcitic lime (no oyster shell) so I'll use that instead and a small handful of that sand I have

check out my grow journal :) 1st outdoor grow journal any suggestions/tips would be great!

5. Have you not made that bedding mix I gave you yet!?! You have all the ingredients.

Even if there is nothing 'hot' that needs to cook, I like to give some time for the lime to work and for the microbes to get started.

BTW, leaf mold takes ~3 years to complete. I'm only on my second year and it's still a good ways from compost. Decent mulch though. Next spring, I'll see what I have.

Mix the bedding, get it wet and let it get started. Focus!

Wet

• Like Like x 7
  6. Absolutely I'm doing it as soon as I get home from work...so I guess just take that reed sedge Peat back? I'm gettin the s. Peat moss right now at the store and about to check out lol

7. [​IMG]I finally found some compost thay ppl use and have good results with...not the best at all but just seen ppl use this ...so I have this and the screen compost from a landscaping place

• Like Like x 2
  8. I thought it takes awhile lol I have a bunch of old dead leaves in a green recycling bin in the back yard... I put it in there cause my dog would roll all in it lol

9. [​IMG][​IMG]just for the hell of it I stopped at a local bait shop on way home from work and grabbing some supplies and found these "red trout worms" I'm still goin to order some online ofcourse but was just wondering what u guys think? They were only 3.50 for 30 so I just grabbed them lol figured worse case I'll just throw them in my soil mix in a week or 2 lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. They're the larger red worms eisenia Hortensis. More commonly used for fishing then they're smaller, more efficient composting cousins eisenia fetida. Either will get the job done.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Nice! I'll just add them in my bin when I'm done mixing the bedding and just put my composting worms I ordered online in the bin....I might just put these guys in soil mix and let do there thing lol

12. Can I use cocoa shell mulch with some perlite as my 2 gallons of aeration? I'm running really low on perlite maybe a gallon left?

13. #4315 stanky1234, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    [​IMG] got most of it mixed up in a 14 gal tub...about 1 cf peat moss, 2 5 gal bucks..a nice big handful of all purpose course sand, a little more then a cup calcitic lime, 1 cup kelp meal, 1/2 cup tomatoe tone, and 1/4 cup garden gypsum. ...but I only had about 1 gal of perlite not 2 so was thinking about adding cocoa shell mulch (I used that in my soil mix with perlite adding aeration) if not I'll get more perlite tomorrow...now just wet it with some water adding snd mix and put a lid on the tub?

14. is this a soil or bedding for worms? why tomato tone?

15. @stanky1234

What I would suggest doing is stop going all over the place looking for Info on worm bins. Your just confusing yourself. Most everybody does it getting started. I know I did. But it really isn't rocket science.
    Stick with the bedding Wet suggested to you awhile ago and LITFA. Do this and I have no doubt that you will have a successful bin before long.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Yea that's what I'm doing...and there really is all kinds of different info and ur rigjt I was getting confused alittle bit...but I'm just following what wetdog told me to do and sticking with that I know wet wouldn't stear me wrong lol but what u think about adding cocoa shell mulch and perlite for aeration? I ran out of perlite and still need about 1 gal for my worm bedding?