Venus fly traps for bug control.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by hippie john, Sep 18, 2003.

1. i was thinkin about plating four venus fly trap plants in my little grow box. only when theirs in infestation though. and their in their own little pots, so its a seperate water system. like a little mini bubbler or somethin, al ong one for along the back. just seems like a cool idea. venus fly traps kick ass. when i was 3, my mom got me a flytrap, and it ate fries.

2. im pretty sure they let off a sent that attracts flys, most carnivous plants do anyway so they might just attract more flys to ur grow. its accpepted that the look of the trap does go a long way to attracting flys but im sure i read somewhere that they do sent aswell.

also they dont really eat a lot cus they take ages to eat a fly when they have caught it, also when the trap (the leaf/mouth thing not the whole plant) has eaten 3 times it dies then 2 or 3 more traps grow in its place, quite cool really!

if u do wanna try it, dont use a bubbler, VFTs dont like lots of roots or plant food, they eat allmost exclusivly through eating flys. try 70% sharp sand, 20% sphagnum peat and 10% charcoal and let the pot stand in water. thats wot i used to grow mine in and they loved it. just change the water every week.

oh and if the flys u want them to eat r to small the plant wont bother with them, it aint worth the effort of diejesting them so they just let them go! its the wiggleing of the traped fly that makes the trap tighten, a small fly or a mite wont get eaten at all.

3. a pitcher plant would work better but a healthy dose malathion or diazanon will work the best for flies. :D

4. have u ever tryed getting them stoned? the flys not the plants. i swear to god they move slower after u've sat in ur grow and had a j. they wud b so easy to catch then if i cud b boverd.

5. yeah i just realized that, that a single venus fly trap eats like 3 flies a month, little slow for my tastes. but i'm gonna try that gettin a fly stoned bit. i wonder if it works on spiders too:D, or crane flys.

6. VFT's have a trigger mechanism.

if u look very close...in the mouth of the trap...there are 3 hairs on each side of the trap. if u trigger 2 of the 3 on a side...it closes.

and they are a bog spp so u need to have very acidic soil. i think the mix that barnaby had was close but u need more moss and less sand.

and yea they dont eat much anyhow...that isnt the way to keep flys down. a frog would be better :)

7. i'd be concerned for the frogs saftey, cause it might get a little warm in there. + frogs like it really humid, and i dont.

8. That's going to be a little bitty, teeny-tiny joint you are going to roll for the fly to get stoned.

9. PMPL....

10. One time me and a friend got her dogg stoned. He was rollin on the floor an shit and doin all kinda fucked up stuff.

11. why does the marijuana plant attract people?

12. cus it smells like shit.

13. it doesnt attract those kinda flies......only the bad kind......i wouldnt give a f*ck if there was regular flies in there.... they dont cause harm......

14. HIGH All, I'm sure marijuana pests...like The Borg, Thrips, White fly and the like wouldn't be bothered by the VFT. What I think is if you bought this plant from a nursery or somewhere else...you might introuduce more pests into your room.

15. HIGH All, can you find on the net the flies your talking about. I've never had problems with flies.

16. like white flies and stuff......but like regualr houseflies dont damage plants......i have a small infesation of gnats right now......but i'm not that worried, cause they dont seem to be damaging the plants......but if the do......i'll deal with each one individually......but for now they're ok......i talk to them when i'm takin care of me plants......