Venus Fly Trap Solution To Gnats?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by stoned_bunny, May 25, 2010.

1. Hey i got a Venus fly trap and a Octopus Plant to see how it controls my gnat problem whats your guys opinion on this! thoughts or comments i dont know much about theses plants so any information u have would help

2. Hey stoned_bunny :wave:

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with gnats :(

I'm not familiar with what affect carnivorous plants would have on the gnat population, you could check with myles117 - he's got experience with carnivorous plants. ;)

Also, if you're dealing with fungus gnats, they're laying eggs on the soil and the larvae are messing with the roots of the plants :(

Here's some info from The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums found in the plant abuse sticky:

I'd recommend some Hot Shots no pest strips as well (they're not sticky traps, but are supposed to kill / detour pests).
    Hot Shot :: No-Pest Strip - 5580

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :smoke:
    Doin'

3. carnivores are fun , but the traps are too slow IMHO ( aka do not go thru enough flys quick enough) but I have also only used a smaller one.

now I could see a pitcher, or a butter wort doing better...

now I have not done much experimenting ..I only used one trap, and then only let it roll for about 2 months .. so I may be wrong

and DY is right ...fix the soil and the gnats go away ....

just my .02

hey cool octo. btw

4. About all those will probably do is protect themselves from the gnats (maybe... probably not if fungus gnats).

If you're dealing with fungus gnats, get some predatory nematodes.

5. lol i know there not gonna fix my gnat problem (witch isnt even a problem) there just cool things to have in a n indoor gareden

i started this thread to see what people thought about them and if anyone had any info on that octo plant cuz i cant find any anywhere

oh and about the gnats i tryed the proixide trick and i guess i didnt do it right cuz it didnt work next thing i guess is sand

i might wait till next grow tho cuz i dont have that long left on them and its not that big of a problem

6. Pretty wild looking.....Now if you could only roll it into a blunt and smoke it!!!...LOL