Venting this room- please give your opinions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by roots3003, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Would this be a good way to ventilate my rooms? If not, I would appreciate any suggestions. I am in a race against time to get this flower room done...

What's confusing me is that i've heard people talk about venting the grow and venting the light..with this setup I would be doing both right? Because the fan is venting the light, but it will also suck hot air from thge rest of the room correct? The hot air would be blown into the attic. Keep in mind the temps here in the Summer are almost always over 100 and the humidity ids like 10%. Should I be ok or will I have to worry about mold, etc?

Attached Files:

2. As long as you put a piece of ductwork on the intake side of the reflector and stretch it to the highest point in the room so you are sucking the hottest air out. you will also need to get your cool intake air as low as possible as to naturally force the hot air up and out through your ductwork that is at the highest point of the hottest room. With 100 temp and 10% hum you shouldnt have mold problems. Are you using a swamp cooler or an compression unit? That will make a huge diff on venting .

3. It's a 2 story house with central AC. I will do waht you suggested with tthe intake vent on the reflector. I thihnk I alreday addresed the other thing you mentione, because I connected to the ceiling ac vent with ducting, ran it to the floor, out in a Y connector, then also ran a length to the veg. room. This is what you meant right?

4. If you vent the reflector exhaust into the attic you will be pulling air from inside your house and blowing it outside wich will get replaced by air from the outside through cracks doors etc. so the most efficient way would be to put your ductwork in to blow directly into your intake on your A/C so you arent trying to cool the outside constantly and you are completing the air "circle" that your A/C needs to keep your house cool. Although without a seperate A/C it will make the rest of your house pretty cold.

5. you might have to put a y on the intake of your reflector also so you can run the extra duct to your veg. if it gets to hot. And yes running the A/C exhaust into both rooms on the floor is perfect.

6. I don't recommend exhausting through the light. It will make for a constantly dirty reflector lens and extremely low humidity. You want to be able to control the ventilation in your room separate from the air cooling for the light. I would recommend running ducting to cool the light into and then out of the room. Run an exhaust duct to the attic with its own separate fan.

7. I see what you are saying sins. Where would I run the ducting from to cool the light though? And where to? Or are just saying buy a sperate fan and do the exact same kind of setup, one fan sucking from the light, the other from the room, both blowing in the attic?

8. Since my fan is in the flowering room, will I need to keep that on the entire 12 hours the light is on? Or more or less? It seems like that would be a little overkill, this fan is so strong it's trying to suck the panda film off the window ;P Not to mention adding more to the electric, but I guess that just comes with the territory...I guess it's worth it for some homegrown tomatoes!!!

9. I would hook a carbon filter to the other side of the light....hung somewhere at the top of the box.

A more powerful fan may be needed but since you have A/C you may be good.

10. Yes, I think I will need a carbon filter too once I get the cash. It's actually a whole bedroom divided in 2, guess it's kind of hard to tell with my wonderful art skills.

11. Yes. One fan to cool the light.... intake air from outside the room somewhere cool, exhaust the air somewhere outside the room. One fan to ventilate/scrub the room... exhaust air outside the room through the carbon filter
    This would solve the dirty reflector problem and allow you to use the one fan to cool the room, scrub the air and cool the light. It's not a best case scenario but I've seen it work.

12. It would work and you'd need to be diligent on cleaning the reflector but it does work...I'm doin it! :p Saves a little cash too.

13. Would I be able to get away with having the filter inside the room? Say, attached to the celing then connected to the right side of the hood?

14. You want your filter where ever your flowering girls are....thats where the stink is ;)

15. Thanks fells. As for the intake in the flower room, will a 12"x16" rectangular wall vent from home depot be good? It will share a wall with a empty bedroom with ac. Or would a couple 6" round holes in the wall work better?

I want to do what what works best, but the vent will look a hell of a lot better in the other bedroom than some holes in the wall.

Unfortunately, I can't see anyway to get fresh air in from the outside, and it's too hot here for that anyways.