Venting into Attic...heat signature????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dasgoth, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Evening all,

Any input on venting into an attic? I did a search already for "attic heat signature", but I have not found the answer I've been looking for. Setup: in a big closet, carbon scrubber, 2x400w HPS & 1x250w MH(only used for startup then clones way later) & digital ballasts, duct muffler, and "smelly jelly" made from ONA Fresh Scent+water crystals, Vortex 8" fan on a speed controller, and Sun System Cool Sun XL hoods.

Just started, but I am concerned since I am venting into the attic that it could be detected. Most posts I've seen here say "don't worry about it... LLSS is biggest problem" but I ask since choppers fly over pretty often due to popo station 2 miles down the road and sorta being in a semi-ghetto apt. complex. I've done a quick visual of the attic and it has extremely poor attic insulation. Should I get some Block-IR from http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=552&navid=33 or not worry about it?

I figure I have the sound & smell issue down, the only issue that concerns me is heat. I plan on the 12/12 going from 7 AM-7PM to reduce the main part of the heat signature... the 18/6 is what concerns me the most then again its only 250w ;D my gaming PC puts out more heat than that sucker. Anywho, any appropriate suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time. L8rs

Das

2. ok bud:)

i would'nt worry myself if your only venting into the attic as not enough heat will vent out ducting TO BE NOTICED.
    but if your not comfortable my friend go ahead & line it with your block-ir ,better save than sorry yeh ,plus can have peace of mind,which is allways good:),especially as they choppers are flying near by.
    your times for lighting are good, dont worry about your 250 watt light mate as you say your pc puts out more,plus others.

sounds like you've got it down brother, nice1

take it easy,& happy growing,..M.:smoking:

3. How is the attic vented; whirlybird, eave vents, not at all? If there is a vent I would run some dryer hose from the can fan all the way to the vent-without too many bends- so that the air goes out immediately and doesn't mix with attic air. I say this not with concern for heat but for smell (and the pressure you will create in the attic). You said you live in an apartment so that isn't just your attic, and if you are putting air in, it must go somewhere. You don't want your neighbors calling the landlord because their house smells like a skunk. That Vortex will push alot of air in the attic, and if the vents aren't sufficient air will find another way out.

The heat issue is no biggie. Attics are hot regardless. Mine will get 150+ in the summer. I doubt the exhaust from 2 lights will cause any change in its' temperature. Certainly not enough to attract the cops.

4. Do NOT vent into the attic as you're just inviting mold. vent to outside only.

5. Thx Auntie AND Motor, and also Cali for the responses....

In reply to what you said Aunt, the attic has 4 or so massive thing-a-ma-bobs similar to the pic at this link: http://images.doityourself.com/stry/v/ventinspection.jpg and no whirlys. As far as getting into the attic that is an issue and I can not physically get up in it. As far as smell is concerned the ONA Jelly will kill any "skunky" smells and leave a nice "fresh" scent of basic dryer sheet. The place is a apt. complex with a town home on second & third stories. People have their own hookups for washer and dryer so smelling the light "fresh" scent wouldn't be as noticeable as say ozone. As I said before the Vortex is on a SPEED CONTROLLER so it will be at most pushing 250cfm and not the full 747cfm.

In reply to you Cali, not trying to be rude, but isn't a huge as attic with 4 massive vents to it the outside? I feel it will not be an issue do to the nature of my location and some weeks its in 60-80% humidity for days on end. Being around the 30th Lat keeps the weather relatively nice with a common breeze of 5mph, low humidity 65% of the time,except when storm systems move in. Adding a smidin more humidity couldn't hurt could it :D Venting directly outside is currently IMPOSSIBLE and there is no way that is happening so I figure my venting into the attic is the only good option. If there are any other helpful thoughts, I am receptive of them.

One idea I was rolling around today was getting a window A/C unit to cool my room (and cool the GR in at the same time) while allowing me to vent the carbon scrubbed +ONAed air directly out the window without none the wiser. Thoughts?

6. I think this problem is best solved by you since you know the building. If your attic is a shared space with other tenants, I think you are taking a risk. That jelly may say it covers smell. But have you ever smelled 10/12 dankies in full flower? It is strong, or at least, you want it to be ;)
    If your own judgement says that air you put into the attic will get out easy and pressure (even a slight pressure) will not build, then go for it. Personally, I try to get as much air movement as possible, if it were my can fan that speed controller would be set at warp-speed all the time. The more fresh air mixing in, the lower the temps, the higher the CO2 level.
    A window unit will definitely help keep temps down, something you are going to need if your not running the vortex very high. However, I don't think they vent air to the outside. I thought window units circulated the air inside. The breeze you feel outside the unit is the fan that cools the radiator fins, not vented air. But don't take my word on the A/C I have never used one, this is just an educated guess.

7. Attics generally have no air circulation and any humidity from the inside would/could be detrimental. If you ask any contractor about venting to the attic I believe they will tell you that venting into it is a bad idea. It will also void the insurance on your property.

8. I have yet to invest in some sort of IR shield, mostly due to cost, but I will in the future. I'm not too worried about it though cause the cops need a warrant to even use IR equipment on a potential grow operation, that is if they follow the law. I guess they could use it illegally to build a case. But I don't think it's the hot "air" the IR equipment picks up but rather the grow lights themselves. I see you have quite a few responses and you seem to have your answer covered. So good luck in your operation bro.

9. \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\tAgain, thank you Aunti and Cali for the great replies.

I'll try to find a way to directly vent outside since that seems to be the general best option consensus. Only prob is that its either my window facing the other apartment complex or up into the attic. Running ducting down and out the dryer vent is also NOT fesable. xD

As far as plants go, I am hoping out of the 10 Sadhu seeds that 5 or more will be some sexy sexy ladies. Yes Aunti, Dank is what I'm aiming at. I know it will take a few grows to get some awesome yields and properly figuring out 100% organics (compost teas, mixing own custom soil mixes, etc.). Mu- was the one that inspired me to do organics and reading the "3LB" articles pretty much sold me to organics. Originally was gonna do a Ebb/Flow, but now all I foresee is organics (maybe Ebb/Flow for fun later). After my lease is up, I am thinking of dabbling in a small Aquaponics/Aquaculture set up to see what thats all about.

<table class="tborder" id="post2387490" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr></tbody> </table> Thanks again Cali on the attic info. You sounds like you know a bit about attics and I"ll take your word on it. Other thing is I'm renting the place so no worries about voiding insurance. I know that may sound like a anti-productive/destructive attitude towards the apt. complex, but I"ll be out of here in 4 months and they have given me the shaft multiple times over the past 8 months. If anything, I'd be worried about getting shot walking home on a dark night xD

The ONA smelly jelly is from http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/198140/site_id/1#import

Heres some info on ONA its self http://www.onaonline.com/index1.html

10. venting into your plumbing stack always works.

11. Choppers can't detect through walls.
    They can only detect if heat is going from your house to outside.

12. What exactly do you mean by venting into your plumbing stacks? I have just switched my 1000w HPS over to 12/12 after about a month of veg under the same light with 24/7 for my first grow in a few years with 19 Bubba Kush seeds a friend gave to me that have all turned out to be female. My temp is currently a nice 74 degrees with about 40% RH but I worry about future smells and temps as the outside weather heats up. I have a 6" vortex fan and a carbonaire filter that I am currently not running because I don't need to yet and the noise is overbearing (I have used carbonaires in the past with closet setups and once with two Omega gardens and they kick ass!). My setup is in a townhouse style place and my room actually shares a wall with my neighbor's kitchen. Boo. It is upstairs and I wonder if I should vent the room into the attic or perhaps into my other bedroom adjacent to the grow room or through the floor into my kitchen and living room downstairs. Would venting into my furnace flu be a good idea? I know that it goes directly through the roof and usually vents hot air. Any input would be much appreciated.

13. I am in a similar situation, but can not vent into the chimney w/o doing some major modifications :\ That is why I have chosen to do the into the attic option with a few modifications. I"ve cut a 8" hole into the attic so I'm good to go when my babies officially become seedlings. If possible I would do chimney since it vents straight out and be dispersed. For my situation attic is best, I would say look at your options. Venting into another room just eliminates the heat temporarily.... G'luck Dr.T

O, one other thing.... what Cali and Auntie is good advice and I would follow that if my circumstances were a bit different. Living in a apt. complex in a town home is "nice" but not idea due the neighbors :(

14. no that is wrong

15. xD Wowzer... well if heat is traveling through a wall due to poor insulation...I would conclude they could pick up on that :p I would say do a Google on FLIR man. In an "Ideal" situation no heat would be be visible coming from your grow room OR where your venting the heat to... the problem is now how to dispose of all that heat without making your whole front yard light up like some glow in the dark nightcralwers (i.e. venting into tubing similar to drainage for septic) or wherever you creatively think of to vent.

16. I can't believe people seriously worry about heat signatures and power bill spikes on their 1000w grows... DEA isnt going to come knocking on your door with a warrant any time soon.

17. Agreed. Posting here is probably more dangerous than the heat produced by one or two lights. If the cops are setting up FLIR surveillance on your crib; it's too late. Your busted and they are just compiling evidence.

Growing in an apartment/townhouse where other people live under the same roof is just a bad idea IMHO. Heat is the last thing I would worry about. Venting large amounts of smelly air directly outside and as far from street traffic as possible would be my number one concern. Next, the transportation of materials to and from the site without the notice of nosy neighbors. Mixing 85-90 degree exhaust air with 120 degree attic air is totally insignificant.

18. Your correct in what you say... but I feel its better to have all the information possible and other peoples views on things. Another POV can't hurt as long as its constructive plus an experienced person can give tips on what they have learned. I have no worries as far as smell at most 5-6 will be female and with a decent scrubber and ONA as secondary smell precautions I feel not as paranoid. Summary: Worries are laid to rest.

IF ONA, by its self, can eliminate the smell of dog crap in the house (room mate is not always there to walk em, nor am I) I am sure with a carbon scrubber other smells will not be an issue.