venting heat into attic

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ginge, Dec 5, 2011.

1. hey all, been looking at improving my set up soon was wondering what your views are to venting into attic and how best to achieve no hot spots for flir. The reason i am asking is im having problems with heat in my room. i didnt want to vent in to the attic as i thought that i wouldnt have any problems but i do. im using a 400wat hps setup.

any help or advise on this would be great...:smoke:

2. [quote name='"ginge"']hey all, been looking at improving my set up soon was wondering what your views are to venting into attic and how best to achieve no hot spots for flir. The reason i am asking is im having problems with heat in my room. i didnt want to vent in to the attic as i thought that i wouldnt have any problems but i do. im using a 400wat hps setup.

any help or advise on this would be great...:smoke:[/quote]

Got a pic of your set up? Got fans in there?

3. No pics at present. The room is in the centre of the house and the only place I can really vent to is my loft, I don't want to chop into my chimney stack. I have all equipment to vent ie fans pipeing and clips just need to some advice on the best ways off stop heat signatures in my roof. Thanks

4. [quote name='"ginge"']No pics at present. The room is in the centre of the house and the only place I can really vent to is my loft, I don't want to chop into my chimney stack. I have all equipment to vent ie fans pipeing and clips just need to some advice on the best ways off stop heat signatures in my roof. Thanks[/quote]

Is there anyway you could vent into the house? Winter time so it should cut down on heat cost and chill your plants a bit?

5. Most attics have vent holes in the roof. Does yours? I have mine venting right up and out of such a vent using an inline fan from the light. I'm state legal though and don't have to worry about heat signatures and such. I just do it to vent all the excess heat from the grow room.

6. Be careful venting into your attic. I have heard many horror stories of growers venting into their attics while not realizing the mold problems they were creating by pumping their attics full of warm, humid air.

7. iam actually a roofer op and i would recommend seeing if ur roof has ridgevent along the peak of ur roof. if ur roof was done properly the venting should be sufficant enough to vent the air from a 400 watt some times its just single vents u can put the hose right under the vent and u should be good. Also sometime attics have power fans that kick on once the attic hits a certain temp this could be a good option heat signatures rlly arent bad with only 1 400 watt light i think ur all good

8. Grower409 nailed with the mold thing. And Thevenusflytrap is also correct, if it was vented properly it can handle it. Down fall is unless it is a newer house, or someone has added vents it probably isn't up to todays standards. I do basically every aspect of new home building, and remodeling of old, as well as roofs. We almost always add new, extra vents. Just run a duct pipe as close to a vent as you can get, and you should be ok.

9. I was just talking about this very thing with another grower here on the site. Im looking at venting into my attic as well. My house was built in 2004 and I have vents on either end of the house up there. I really need some advise on how to route my ducting up there. I have a hole saw kit so I know that I can cut into the drywall but I worry about it looking like crap. also, is anything that I could put on the end of the vent in order to keep things from coming back down when the fan is off? I was thinking about just putting a stocking over that end?

10. if ur house was built in 2004 then there is a real good chance u have whats called "ridgevent" across ur peak sometime u cant actually see the light outside due to the material they use to vent it either that or the roofers were lazy lol and trust me they are....put ur hand up to the peak or bring a fatty up there and blow the smoke towrds the peak see it draws up that way if it does there is a good chance that it is vented enough for u to do so. As far as running ducting the key is as little and straight as possible this will make for the best air flow as far as stopping it while ur fan is off u can by "closers" not sure if that what they are called but it will stop back flow same isle as inline fans cant miss em hope i could help

11. Those "closer" thingys are called Dampers

a sock or pantyhose could frost up in the winter and reduce or close off all together.
    a pice of screen is your best bet, critters and bugs would only enter the pipe if the fans were off. the screen will protect you for when the room is not in use.
    If you do decide to use roof vents get the pipe attaced directly to the backside of roof sheathing, dont blow any "loose" warm air into the attic space(mould city). Control it directly out of the house.
    if you do it like this its EZ to make a collar for the end of your pipe with two scraps of plywood.

This is definetly the cheapest way but Myself would still be worried about FLIR.

Any warm air coming out of one perticular roof vent when the others are much cooler is a calling card for FLIR.
    I'd consider "scrubbing"the air and using it to warm yourself over the winter.
    I live right beside the airport and have nightmares worrying about FLIR.
    This method isnt the cheapest, but I believe safest and your not wastin moist warm air, which you cant get enough of in the winter anyways.

just my 2cents :)

12. I'm in Colorado, man. I've give my left nut for warm, humid air right now. I'm rockin a high-end humidifier and can barely keep the RH in the grow room at 25% :eek:

13. Oh, right... I was in CO in June visiting my folks. You guys have such a dry climate! My lips were cracking, bloody boogers and everything! And the altitude... FUCK. :eek:

14. o man, Yea CO is brutal. beautiful state but im all set on the dry, heat and cold ass long ass winters.

15. Best shit I ever grew was when I lived in Summit County, CO. Elevation 9,111 ft. Dry as fuck. R.H. of like 11%. Never used a humidifier, never had a prob. Just have to be real careful drying. 2 days hanging, and they will be crispy as hell. Too dry.

16. #16 medical grower, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    Yeah, but you get used to the climate and altitude once you've been out here a month or so.

I've lived pretty much all over the country at one time or another, northern Indiana, New York City, L.A., you name it. Of all the places I've been Colorado is the place for me. Every time I walk out my front door and see those mountains I feel like I'm living in a postcard.... so beautiful, and the nice folks that lived here before I did were nice enough to vote MMJ into existence for me! :D

17. Oh, yeah. Buds that are on the small side dry fast as fuck! Its a real balancing act to keep the drying area right.

18. Colorado is a beautiful place! I could live there.