Venting and Cooling 4x4 Tent

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AGGrower, Nov 5, 2012.

1. #1 AGGrower, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
    Just bought a 4x4 tent and was wondering if it was possible to cool a cool tube and use a carbon filter with only one inline fan?

Would this idea work?

Carbon filter attached to fan outside of tent >>>> flex duct >>>> cool tube >>>> flex duct >>>> exhaust to attic

2. In the cooler months it cools pretty easy with the filter in the room sucking through the filter, over the light, then out the tent..78 to 80 degrees with 600

3. Thanks tin ya here where I live I've had 75 degrees with 1000w during winter. I guess an easy way to warm up the house

4. #4 BHamBudzNW, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
    how will the carbon filter, filter the stinky air if its outside the tent? :confused: with it setup like that its only being used as an intake filter not an exhaust filter.
    should go... carbonfilter (inside tent) > fan> cooltube> flex duct >attic. the reason for putting the fan BEFORE the cooltube is the fan motor will overheat when its constantly pulling hot air from the bulb, so always put the fan blowing through the tube not pulling from the tube. just direct mount the fan to the carbon filter.

5. That is true

6. A 4x4x6.5 tent is 104cuft. A 4" inline rated at 200cfm could handle the requirements by maintaining an interior temperature 5-6 degrees above the intake temperature. A 6" inline rated at 400cfm+ on full would be the wisest choice despite increased cost in the filter and the ducting. It should match the cooltube size better though and on a speed controller would allow for control over the temperature deviance. The better ventilation can also translate into keeping the bulb as close as possible to the canopy which is monumentally important to high yields.

Controlling the intake temperature is as important as the rate of exhaust from the room. If the intake temp is over 78 degrees, it's not going to be less than that in the tent no matter how great your fans are. Work on maintaining a constant 70-72 degrees in the room the tent is drawing the air from and this will translate into consistent temperatures in the tent.

If sound is a concern then you should consider going with insulated ducting and a Phresh silencer if you go with the 6" fan. The woosh of the air and the hum of the fan can be a little loud and it sounds suspicious to have that blowing out of a bedroom window. I use the heat from my grow tent to warm the house in the winter time and this actually saves me money on electricity. The downstairs neighbors had a higher bill because they were using 1200w inwall heaters to warm their place.

7. Thanks SCMC, do you have any input on how the ducting, filter, fan, cooltube should be ran? Oh and I will be running CO2