venting a hood

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Keep it rolling, May 27, 2012.

1. so i know how to figure out the cfm rating for a room, but how much cfm's do I need to vent an enclosed hood? I'd imagine it's a much smaller amount, i was looking at something like this HTG Supply - 4" Inline Duct Fan

Will this be enough? or should i get a 6 inch with a reducer???

2. c'mon i need an answer soon, is 80 cfm enough to ventilate an enclosed hood? no filter, just a hood and ducting

3. How many lights? What watts?

Id probably go ~250 minimum, more is better in this case the more air u move the less heat your room absorbs from the light.

I plan on having 2 1000w hooked together on a 450 cfm.

4. it's for one 600 watt light, everything i have is 4" so in order to go with 250 cfm i'd have to use a 6"-4" reducer, which would be ok but i just want to know if i can get by with the 80 cfm fan for heat, everything is vented into the ceiling

5. #5 RO76, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
    Just use 6" 450 CFM Inline fan with out reducer(get STANDARD size reflector)..... Are you afraid that your light will be too cold.... come one, do not make things more complicated......6" port on your hood=6" inline fan.... if it is 4" then 4".... Why did you buy such hmm... "interesting hood"? Ill bet it was not easy to find, because standard size vent ports are 6" and 8"....

6. an 80 cfm fan is like spitting into a lake.

7. I've got a 142 cfm case fan cooling my 400 sunsystem with built in ballast, and it gets the job done... Not very well though. I would love to get a 4" vortex in the near future though. Its starting to get hot out...

Anyways, I asked this question a week or two ago, and I had a lot of people telling me to stay away from reducers. I'm not sure if a 4" will cut it for a 600 watt, is it possible to get new fittings for you hood?

8. You're gonna need more than that. If you want to stay with 4" than at least get a 4" centrifugal fan. That booster fan you linked to isn't made to do that kinda of work.