Ventilation....

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bruins142, Jul 25, 2013.

1. So basically i am going to start a grow and i am making my own box out of a cabinet. 

I want to remove the 2,3,4th draws and then remove the backings and connect the three. I will then put hinges on the side so i can open it like a door. I am going to cover everything inside with Mylar

Going to end up building a stand for lights in there as well. The last thing i can not seem to figure out.... Is how i am going to vent anything i cant just put a hole in the wall so all i could really do is vent it into the room which seems like a bad idea because id have to have it blow at the wall behind it and not even thinking about the smell. I can make a carbon filter because there is a lot of tutorials on the forum here but i cant imagine that would make the smell go away 100% or even leave it with a weird smell?

This is the cabinet and id like to leave it in this spot as well. 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Anyone care to help me?

3. No one at all?

4. So ventilation is pretty simple. Cool air in the bottom, warm air out the top. You can do an active intake (fans pulling air in) or passive (no fan). I would go with active for your grow.
    You want to put your exhaust as high as possible. For a box that size your gonna need at least 120cfm fan, which is on amazon for $20. You can make a light trap to make it light proof and use a diy filter like you said. They are actually really effective, but if you need something more there's always an Ona container. Venting into the room is no big deal as long as the room is relatively cool.

Hope this helps. If you need some ideas check out my Girl Scout Cookies thread in the micro grow section. Its basically exactly what you are doing, just on a smaller scale. I used a bedside table instead of a dresser...

Good luck and happy growing!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 Bruins142, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  6. Venting into the room is just gonna be like recycling stale air over and over. You're gonna want to get it actually exhausted out of the room.

Sent from my MB865 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I am going to Walmart tomorrow. What should be in my shopping cart as far as lights go? I had a list but i lost it :(

I want to grow with CFLs because i am very broke... Also where do i find the little fictures to plug the cfl directly into an outlet 

8. Unless you buy the good LEDs (they cost around 400-700) then it wouldn't be worth it from what I hear. Those cheap ones just don't cut it.

That light is a 14 watt light.  You won't grow much with that.  You would be far better off with getting a 400 MH/HPS and doing a small closet grow.  Even that would blow that little LED light out of the water.  It looks like you are just growing in your room by the looks of that picture.  The easiest option is to just get a grow tent and grow your plants inside of that tent.  Then buy a cool tube reflector for the light and get a fan and also a carbon filter to complete your ventilation.

10. I don't really want to be buying a $200 light though

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK400CTAC-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B00547RGI8/ref=sr_1_28?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1375069684&sr=1-28&keywords=apollo+400

This one is under $200.  It comes just short of $168.  Thats a pretty decent light for the money.  Other than that, you can get a bunch of cfls, but you won't yield nearly as much as that 400 hps would.  I think that pulling 10 oz off of a 400 hps would be very possible while some cfls may be cheaper and may work, but won't pull anywhere close to 10 oz.  It all depends on what your goal is with how much you want to yield with how much of a budget you have.

12. Would i only need one of them? or would i need another one for the veg? I could get $160 for the lights but $320 is a bit much

You can use that one light for the entire grow.  The kit contains a Metal Halide bulb and a High Pressure Sodium bulb.  You just use the MH bulb for veg and use the hps bulb for flower.  Otherwise if you got another one you could use one as veg, one as flower, or just grow a couple plants in each from veg to flower.  But you could still grow up to 10 oz of weed or possibly more depending on conditions with just one of those kits.

14. You know i think i just might have to do this... It seems like a very good investment  

It would be a decent investment.  My first light was a 250 watt hps and I got rid of it while taking a loss.  I bought a 400 MH/HPS later on and while I no longer use that to flower plants, they still work quite well to veg plants.  But you can still flower a decent amount of bud with that, and if you move up to a bigger light later, those smaller 400s still work as a decent veg light.

This one on ebay is pretty much similar.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/400w-400-watt-HPS-MH-Grow-Light-System-Set-Premium-Kit-Dimm-Green-House-iPower-/160683199645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item6b21d46513 
    This guy "hpsgrowlightstore" on ebay sells this ipower brand which is probably similar to the apollo brand.  I have a few ipower models myself, I know others on the forums have some apollo models.  These package deals like this are not the best of quality.  Meaning that while you are not getting a Phantom or Lumetek quality ballast with a Hortilux type quality bulb, but these are still fairly decent cheap starter kits which work quite well for people that are trying to get started.

17. Yeah now i am going to have to research more about the PH balances and the Nutes

You must be looking at using bottled nutes.  If you ever want to put down that ph meter, just come on over to the organics side.  With organics, our soil acts as a buffer and actually keeps ph stable for us so that it never has to be checked when growing with organics.