Ventilation Questions and 600w Light Recommendation

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Checkered Haze, Oct 15, 2013.

1. #1 Checkered Haze, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
    First off, I did search the forums and google for this information, but couldn't find a definitive answer or a good explanation. I'm building a 3x3x6 cabinet, planning to grow with a 600w.

I want a 600w HPS/MH system with cool tube, but what are recommended brands that I should look at? I've searched them on Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist, but I'd like something that someone can vouch for.

Anyways, that's about what I want but have no idea what fans I'd need. I heard intake holes are enough and intake fans could even be bad if not set up correctly, but again, how wilI I know what size the holes should be if I don't know what fans? :/ I am also thinking of using a scrubber because I may buy seeds that grow plants that smell more

All help is appreciated!
    I will begin my grow as soon as I finish the cab, the seeds get shipped, and I get this information.

Thanks!

2. A 600w with a cool tube is a good idea. You're about maxing out the heat issues you're going to have in that small of a place, but nothing you can't handle. But as far as brands, in my experience I haven't really had any more issues out of one brand from the next. You'll probably want a 6" inline exhaust fan. You're right though, an intake fan set up improperly can hurt the exhaust fans effectiveness or can affect the air pressure in the room. If you only have an exhaust fan then your grow area will have a negative air pressure, causing air to be drawn in from any and all other cracks, crevices and holes. You NEED a carbon filter if you're worried about smell at all. Ordering seeds won't promise more smell coming off the plants. It's about the genetics of the plants. You can take a seed from swagg mids and it have absolutely amazing genetics, carrying an intense aroma and flavor.. And the grower before didnt take the time to pull the males and let it get pollinated. Or let it hermie and loose potency because the plant was focussing on seed production instead of thc production. Please don't take this rudely when I say do a little more research.. Google was and still is my best friend. Ask yourself questions like how much smell can one plant produce at all? Is it worth taking the risk of possibly letting the neighborhood or the block know your growing? If there is any worry at all, definitely get the carbon filter. Look for similar grow room dimensions with 600w lights and see if you can figure out if heat will be an issue. A 400w with a cool tube and a Scrog could possibly be more appropriate for the size. The guys her on GC are super helpful and informative. I'm still learning new things all the time, so feel free to take my two cents as a grain of salt.

3. hey mate i have got a similar size grow room with a 600w and it works fine, feel free to check out my journal there's a link down the bottom, anyway lets get down to what i use, starting off i have a 125l ruck fan for extraction ( i think they are called can fan's now great quality you won't be disappointed) it clears 355m3/h and the noise is 47db at 1m so its not the quietest of fans, i have it attached to a 125ml rhino pro carbon filter ( also great quality), i also use a cooltube with a reflector which works brilliant to keep my temps down, so this is how i set it up, i have my carbon filter and fan secured to the top of my grow room in this order, carbon filter>20cm of insulated ducting>ruck fan>1m of ducting going down to my cooltube> then ducting going from the opposite end of the cooltube out through the top of my room, then i have a 100ml tt fan (quite cheap but does the job) bringing in cool air from my window, then x2 7" oscillating fans in opposite corners from each other to give good air movement, with all this in place my temps range from 75f-80f lights on and 68f-74f lights off,my humidity stays between 45% and 52%. hope this help's you. wish you the best of luck with your grow  :smoke: