Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by IMC Smitty, Aug 2, 2012.

1. I I'm going to be growing in a shed with an ac in it. I have the shed split into 2 rooms. I will only be growing in 1 room though. My question is, would it be ok to have a vent fan in the wall so it vents into the other room, or does it need to vent outside. And yes i have a carbon filter for it. Any tips/ideas appreciated

2. you can vent (exhaust) from the grow room to the other room. you'll want at least a small passive intake from the outside air into the growing room to replenish the stale exhausted air.

3. The other room will eventually get hot so maybe you want to make sure you have a way to release that heat

4. Ok thanks. Any more ideas?

5. Yes. Vent outside for optimal growth.

6. Do you have any pictures? Just curious being a shed grower as well. Mine is in my sig.

I would definitely try to exhaust out.

7. I'll take some pics and put them up tmro when I'm working on it. I'm growing in my closet right now but I'm insulating the shed n stuff to get it ready.

8. Hey Smitty. I would add that, if you choose to vent into the other room, you will need a place for the air in the second room to leave. Anytime you put air into a room, an equal amount of air has to leave the room. If there is no way for the air in the other room to leave, then you will not be venting the grow room much at all. The only air that would leave the second room would leave via cracks in the windows, doors, walls, etc. That means some of it would also return to the grow room via imperfections in the structure, bringing heat and humidity with it. This is the reason the folks on here are recommending venting to the outside.

In short, the amount air you are able to remove from your grow room will be equal to the amount of air that is able to leave the second room... so have a place for air to exit and enter. If you vent the air outside, and your intake also comes from outside, you will move as much air through your room as possible.

Hope that helps. =)

9. [quote name='"TheRightReasons"']Hey Smitty. I would add that, if you choose to vent into the other room, you will need a place for the air in the second room to leave. Anytime you put air into a room, an equal amount of air has to leave the room. If there is no way for the air in the other room to leave, then you will not be venting the grow room much at all. The only air that would leave the second room would leave via cracks in the windows, doors, walls, etc. That means some of it would also return to the grow room via imperfections in the structure, bringing heat and humidity with it. This is the reason the folks on here are recommending venting to the outside.

In short, the amount air you are able to remove from your grow room will be equal to the amount of air that is able to leave the second room... so have a place for air to exit and enter. If you vent the air outside, and your intake also comes from outside, you will move as much air through your room as possible.

Hope that helps. =)[/quote]

Ok thanks! That makes sense. I'll probably end up venting outside and having a little opening covered with mesh to allow air to be pulled in as the fan blows out. Would that be sufficient enough? Have the fan on one side and the opening on the other

10. That would be ok but it may be a good idea to put an air filter on the inlet to prevent pollens and dust from coming in.

11. Sounds like a smart plan Smitty! I agree with Keef too, if you have the resources, it is smart to filter your intake air. =)

12. Ok thanks I'll make sure I do that. Thanks for the help