Ventilation question for small grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by YourGod11, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Ok I've had three plants from bag seed growing on my windowsill for the past 2 weeks. They are growing fine, kinda cute :D

This is what I'm going to use for growing after I take them off the sill. You can see I have the exhaust hole from the dryer. My question is, how do I connect the fan to the hose to have it mostly blow out there? Won't a lot of the wind blow outside the tube?

Also, can you guys recommend a good method of intake?

[​IMG]

2. if you have an 'exhaust' fan then the outward hole would be connected to the dryer vent...... now w/ a say 9in 'house' fan like i have you would need to build a housing shroud and place the fan in it.......... then connect it to the hole.........someone might already have made this or sell it but never seen one...... planing on building one myself

3. Well YG11 :wave: ..... I would get yourself some flexible duct, looks like 4" from here ... around here they come in 8' and 25' lengths, connect one end to your outlet there, fasten it to the wall somehow, and place the other end up high in the closet ... where the fan should be connected. How large a fan is primarily determined by how many watts you'll be burning. If you're thinking of a 400hps, consider a 150cfm fan as a minimum .... larger if a carbon filter will be attached at some time down the road.
    Intake can be as simple as leaving the door ajar ... thats if stealth isn't an issue. If it is, then there are light proof "dark room" louvers available ... mount one down low on the door for fresh air intake.
    There are a lot of variables when it comes to grow room design .... the more thought and planning (and how much cash is available) will determine how well the girls grow.

hope this helps ...... post more thoughts on where you're going with the grow .... you may get more replies :smoke:

peace from the east.

4. Thanks for the helpful post JV! I hear what you're saying, I'm just trying to find a pic of how it should actually look with the fans set up in a small grow.

Stealth shouldn't really be a problem as no one should be over that would need to go in that closet, so I will most likely leave the door open as you said.

Only gonna have 3 plants in there and it was from some middies bagseed so I'm hoping I won't have too much odor. No HPS right now, gonna have 4-6 CFLs hung around the plants. HPS next time once I know what I'm doing :D

Gotta find a picture of how the fan blows into the intake. Real bad with electrical stuff but my friend will help, hehe. Thanks again, any other input is highly appreciated!

5. with cfls ..... a small (75 or 100cfm) bathroom fart fan will do ... cheep at home depot .... hang it up high near the ceiling with some eye hooks and wire, connect the flex duct to the discharge with a hose clamp... and run it down to your "dryer vent" where you connect it with another hose clamp. Plug it in. Done.
    Heat rises, so you want to exhaust from up high .... intake down low.

6. Ok I can picture what you're saying in my mind. I will probably go to Home Depot tomorrow and get everything. Maybe not set up tomorrow, but it will be purchased :D

So for intake I'll just be keeping the two double doors ajar slightly with windows from the other side of the room open. Should work out nice and cheap, hehe.

7. One thing you might want to check is the outlet of the dryer vent ..... if you're in an apartment building, this discharge may be near another apartment ... in other words, your girls might give off an unfavorable (to some!) odor fairly early on in the grow .... what I'm saying is just be cautious. A timer might be a good thing too, if the closet doors are left open slightly .... the exhaust fan doesn't need to run 24/7 .... just when the lights are on. .... so, when the fan is off, if you choose that route, you want to make sure the back draft damper at the discharge is working too .... take a look at it if you can. Also, depending on the climate in your area, you may not need to open a window .... most places have tons of leaks, there will be plenty of air to draw out through the new exhaust fan.
    Might want to consider a small oscillating fan in there too ... to keep things moving around, AND to strengthen those stems to support the nuggets that will be growin soon :D

hope this helps. :hippie:

8. Good point, have no idea where the dryer vent goes to. Any idea on how I can check?

9. Ok here is the ghetto rigged setup:

Here is how I have it set up. The lights are CFL 42/150w and 2600 lumens apiece. I plan on moving the plants down to the bottom and hanging the lights when they get bigger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/yourgod11/DSC00045.jpg

It's hard to see the plants so I took another picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/yourgod11/DSC00046.jpg

Finally, I bought some nutrients for my babies but I'm not sure how to go about using them. It's Ironine Plus (12-10-10) and it's little pellets. Approximately how many should I give to each plant and should I work them into the soil or place them on the top? Any other tips and comments much appreciated, no idea what I'm doing! Thanks!